loose lug nuts

grege

This is unsettling to me, but might be normal:

Went to torque all lug nuts on both of our cmaxes.  Oddly, I can reverse the lug nuts very slightly with almost no pressure, which suggests they're loose, but...they're not; but it's unsettling that they seem to have some kind of "torque washer" (my term) or encased stud that allows movement.  Can several folks please confirm this for me.  I'm only used to lugs that seat firm and strong and do not move or "wiggle" any after being torqued (or even slightly tightened).  

Thanks!

Greg

The original CMax lug nuts are not solid. They have some sort of chrome finished cap. Several on this forum have had difficulty removing original lugs due to cap material spinning. Several have replaced lugs with solid type (see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1IBKIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Perhaps the chrome capping is is starting to detach from your lug nuts, causing the wiggle you refer to.

The original CMax lug nuts are not solid. They have some sort of chrome finished cap. Several on this forum have had difficulty removing original lugs due to cap material spinning. Several have replaced lugs with solid type (see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1IBKIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Perhaps the chrome capping is is starting to detach from your lug nuts, causing the wiggle you refer to.

Thanks,

After I posted, I learned about the odd two-piece, foil-wrapped design that has caused some consternation (among several brands) that included an attempted-and-dismissed class-action lawsuit somewhat recently.  Unfortunate, but yes, I'll be shopping for a one-piece lug because all of mine are displaying "loose" cappings.  

Greg

On our 2015 MKZ with only 25,000 miles, five out of twenty lug nuts had swelled to where the lug wrench was a tight fit. One required hammering on an impact socket to remove it.  Went with Gorilla acorn-bulge replacements before a 1,000 mile road trip. Who wants a flat tire you can't change?

Edited by jmcgliss

My last rotate and rebalance at Discount Tire the tech told me my lug nuts are 'swelling' and are a known problem. He said replacing them all was about $50 which I can do when they get worse.

My car has ~ 12,000 miles and some lug nuts fit the lug wrench "normally" while others are definitely swelling already.  I'll be trying DPAccessories single piece lugs (~$25 for 20).

Greg

My car has ~ 12,000 miles and some lug nuts fit the lug wrench "normally" while others are definitely swelling already.  I'll be trying DPAccessories single piece lugs (~$25 for 20).

Greg

Note what DP says about their product.

“This DP-Accessories lug nut is not a one-piece design and does have a cap. However, the two components will not have separation issues like factory parts tend to do. These are one of our best selling products because of the great quality and affordable price.

By DP-accessories SELLER on December 29, 2017”

When I examined my OEM lug nuts, what I saw was that the normal hex socket design for impact wrenches has a convex surface between the 6 points so that the socket makes contact with the nut before the corner of the nut to prevent rounding of the 6 corners of the nut. However, because the cap on the OEM nut seems to be of a softer material, the socket “pushes” the softer metal towards the 6 points on the nut such that the nut surface becomes concave. Thus, it can become more difficult to put the socket over the nut. On a few of nuts I would have to force the socket on the nut. I believe this to be the “swelling” that many are experiencing.

Was going purchase these at amazon but many of the reviews state that they rust.  Anyone have links to a better product?

Here’s pics of the 6 sides of a random lug nut I pulled off to snap some pics. The center of all sides are shiny and not touched by the socket. One can see ha the socket contacts the sides of the nut about 1/16” from the edges of a side. The right edge is the tightening side and the left the loosening side. One can see the edges have been raised apparently from the strike of the socket 2-3/32” from the edge.

Shops (Ford, Costco, and tire shop) did about 5-6 tire rotations and two installs of new tires and I did about 5-6 tire rotations. 112k total miles. I hand tighten the last 1/4 turn or so with torque wrench. So, I would not buy any replacement lugs that are capped as the caps are thin and will likely deform like my pics over enough use.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts

I just put these on and the chrome seems to be good quality.  A friend put black ones on his F-250 and did see some rust after a New York winter of daily driving. Gorilla replaced them under warranty, but recommended chrome for more durability.

They also make "Lifetime" lug nuts that may have the same stainless cover as Ford OEM - not sure if they are better quality.