2013 C-Max SE - Radio hissing and popping

So my radio started to not work correctly in the fall of 2018. It would make a loud popping noise and I would need to turn off my car, open the door and let the system fully power down. When I turned the car back on... All would be good.

This progressed to the radio not working at all and I've been driving since March with fuse in for the radio.

After following many posts across the Ford vehicles I've decided to pull my radio out and poke around. Has anyone taken theirs apart??

With my radio apart I see that the thermal paste is dried and flaking apart. I started running through the board and there's connectivity on all of the caps(tested with a multi meter).

I'm going to cook the board with a heat gun later to see if maybe there's a break in a solder joint somewhere.

I'll post pics later

Love the car but the radios are crap

Sounds a lot like my old problem described here and here.  Still thinking about replacing the whole thing as done here.

So what's on the other side of the board from the two long rows of pins - a connector, module, ???  Is the brown line between the "burnt" pins a slot in the board?  Any other visual indications of something amiss?  I guess I should pull mine out but too many projects right now.

But, but .. it's got a SONY badge on it !!!   (I still shake my head every time I see the "Powered by Microsoft" logo on these cars - anyone who has been around Microsoft software long enough knows better ..)  I actually like the radio, shame whoever they hired to assemble the radio can't solder?  I suppose it could just be a thermal design problem.

Edited by jestevens