Rear lights

Glen

Hi, I’ve checked fuses to all lighting I can find- or figure out on the panels. Rear break lights on sides won’t work, and clear light on hatchback passenger side is out- not sure what it is to look up and replace......

This car is not what I’d hoped it would be...... lots of little “problems”

post-5716-0-34046300-1567022386_thumb.jpeg

The reversing (backup) lamps are operated by the Body Control Module via a relay (Fuse 76) when the BCM receives a command over the HS-Can that the car is in "R".  The lamp assembly on the liftgate has 2 bulbs - the top reverse lamp and the lower park lamp.

There are no separate fuses for the stop / turn / park lights.  The BCM controls the lighting of these lamps. The lamp assembly on the body has 2 lamps - the top is the turn signal and lower lamp is a dual filament park and brake lamp. 

I had problems on a MB where a rear lamp assembly failed and there was an open connection to ground on one bulb. Since the assembly was expensive, I jury-rigged the ground connection from the un-grounded lamp to the connector to complete the ground connection.

The rear hatch is operated by the BCM via a relay (Fuse 60).  If one light is OK, than the other is likely a bad lamp.  Go here to look up parts. https://www.fordpartworld.com/

So, if the turn signals and park lamps work, then one can assume the ground connection for the brake lamps are likely OK since it is unlikely both assemblies would open to ground.  Also, if the high brake light works, one can assume that the brake pedal sensor is OK and likely that the BCM is OK.  There are individual positive control wires to the 3 brake lights as the BCM will store DTC if it senses the brake lights are not functioning.  You can get the FORScan App for smartphones ($6) and an applicable ELM327 adapter (<$20) to plug into the OBD2 port and scan the BCM for fault codes.  Or, it could just be 2 burnt out brake bulbs.  https://forscan.org/