Key Fob Fritzing

grege

2018 cmax with 14,000 miles.  Since new, the key fob recognition has been "spotty".  Occasionally I still get the "key not detected" with both key fobs and other times I have to press buttons far too many times to lock and/or unlock.  I inquired with my dealer and their response was awesome, meaning, "that's interesting".  I went ahead and replaced both cr2032 batteries and will see how things go.  I'll harrass the dealer if it doesn't improve.  

Surprising to me when opening both key fobs is the blobs of dielectric grease on each button battery.  I suspect the dielectric grease is actually interfering with transmittance (based on previous research), so will see what happens and report back.  

Greg

I have a 2013 SEL, my FOB has no dielectric grease ?!  That seems that it could certainly contribute to the problem - do both FOBs have grease?

Oddly, yes, both key fob batteries had blobs of the dielectric grease.  First one I opened it looked like the button battery had melted, but it was grease.

Greg

Contrary to what most people think, dielectric grease is an insulator not a conductor of electricity and should never be put on loose connections / mating surfaces of an electrical circuit.  It is used to keep moisture off surfaces that might corrode.  If it is dielectric grease (or silicone) on the battery, I can see why your FOBs are not working very well.  There will be higher resistance in the battery circuit (act like a failing battery where range / operations will be sketchy).  It won't affect RF transmissions. 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Contrary to what most people think, dielectric grease is an insulator not a conductor of electricity ...

+1

Conductive grease has carbon in it, and does a great job on things like battery terminals. 

When you hear "dielectric," think in terms of the electric insulator in capacitors, the one that insures no DC current can pass. 

Frank