Erratic Foot-Actuated Cargo Door Behavior

When I swing my foot below the rear bumper of my 2013 C-MAX SEL, sometimes the door unlatches and opens.  Other times a foot swing merely unlatches the door, and a second swing is required before it powers itself open.

Is there a special technique for getting this door open with a single swing of the foot? 

Have other experienced this?

When I swing foot it doesn't always register, but when it does the door actuates fully open or closed - unless it thinks there's something in the way or you swing foot a second time - in that case it might stop and if it happens a third time probably reverse direction. 

BTW, I've had this happen unexpectedly with car backed into space; some friends who were standing between parking stop and tailgate trying to unload stuff from car accidently triggered the gate to close by moving their feet so close to sensor without realizing it - I was able to apply pressure to the door to stop it accompanied by a lovely grinding noise.  Not sure the door has been 100% the same since but it still works.

Mine's wonky like this too. I am in and out of the hatch often with work-related cargo. Whether by foot or fob, sometimes the hatch only pops unlocked, but doesn't actuate open. Likewise, sometimes it doesn't want to close and give the audible "beep beep beep", indicating obstruction or similar. With no obvious obstruction, I just try until it work or manually open/close. At which point, subsequent attempts to open/close via foot or fob work for the next few attempts until it then doesn't at some random point.

FBOV, You are correct.  13B06 describes the problem:  https://ford.oemdtc.com/2326/13b06-rear-gate-trunk-module-reprogram-2013-ford-c-max

However, it looks like Ford dealerships will no longer honor this "Customer Satisfaction Program" fix: 

"PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect through May 31, 2014.  There is no mileage limit for this program."

I can't understand why Ford would put a end date on a control module programming error.  Perhaps they no longer want satisfied customers.