2016 C Max - work with kids/ ski boards, family camping trips, etc.?

preownedcmax

Hi,

TLDR -  2016 Ford C-Max versus 2013 JSW TDI vs 2013 Subaru Crosstrek

Looking to buy a used vehicle.  Targeting budget of $13K.  Looking for good gas mileage, enough room for hauling kids’ snowboards or a week vacation with a kayak, and not a SUV.  Replacing or adding to a ’99 Silverado I bought for cheap with low miles to serve as the scout campout coordinator and kept an extra three years / 80K total miles overall because it was nice having a truck but getting 13 MPG average has gone on too long.  Work from home, drive about 15,000 miles per year shuttling kids to school and fun.  40% freeway for trips, vacations and some work.

I first was looking at Ford C-Maxes because of the great city mileage, but even if I keep the truck for when I need to run to Home Depot it just seems too small with two kids  and feels like driving a golf cart despite its decent handling for a small car. 

So right now I am looking at a Crosstrek versus a VW Sportwagen TDI.  For comparison there are two 2013s for the same price at my budget.  Both have roof racks and can tow, clean CarFaxes - this particular Ford dealer has a 3 month, 3K warranty for their trade-in and auction vehicles like this.   There are other options for both models at different price points, mileage, etc. from private sellers, used lots, other dealers, but for comparison:

The 2013 VW has 30K miles but sat two years while it waited for the emissions fix.  It has a rare manual which is a plus for me with pano sunroof that I like but they tend to leak in these. No navigation or back-up cam which can be easily upgraded with a newer VW stock unit.  New battery, 40K service in July on CarFax before sale at auction.  Fuely lists median 37 MPG +. Can also pay about $2k more from VW dealership to get their CPO warranty on their similar 2013 TDIs.  

The 2013 Crosstrek has 85K miles, premium with navigation.  It is a higher up off ground and has more passenger room than then the VW but much less cargo space.   Fuely says median 27 MPG.  AWD.   Local Subaru had one Crosstrek CPO in stock but a 2016 with 45K miles at $19K.  

In general, I like the VW Sportwagen best - love the clean interior, overall look and extra space and stick shift driving but I worry about the car sitting two years and long term post emission fix related maintenance and costlier diesel repairs.

So with second guessing the JSW purchase - I then start thinking the CrossTrek is about the same size as the C-Max so I mise well go with the way better gas mileage of the hybrid and use aftermarket roof racks for the snow boards and a storage box on a tow bar in back for trips (a mod that seems to be successfully done on C-Maxes based on what I read on this forum).

Locally, there is a C-Max premium SEL (Energi albeit so even less space in back, no spare) with 35K miles for under $13K.  Car Fax says one owner, leased vehicle.

You guys all seem to love your C-Maxes.

Can I make the C-Max work with camping trips and snow board excursions with 2 kids?

The C-Max is a great car but before you buy an Energi you need to determine how much capacity the High Voltage Battery has lost. Rather than explain it here, ask on the Energi site. See the quote below by rbort and link as it was posted today. There have been several purchasers of used Energis recently that were not aware of HVB capacity fade (degradation) and what one needs to do mitigate such fade. You don’t want a big surprise after purchase.

“Its an awesome car but you do have to take care of the battery, that's very important so please read alot here and manage the battery so that it will last you and not get damaged. I have a 2017 with 45k miles and the battery still charges to 98.9 SOC and is in like new condition, so it can be done for sure.” - rbort

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/8260-new-owner-in-milan-illinois/?p=53168

Thanks for the pointers.  I had read about the battery degradation on the Energi and need to learn more about to gauge / evaluate it before I decide to buy.  This particular model happens to be an Energi, don't like the loss of cargo in back with battery, but the increased city mileage is nice.   I am in a snow state so that is something to consider.  Seems like getting Winter tires is a solution C-Max owners do.

I'm one of the people with a hitch platform, and I don't see it being a good fit for your loads. It's good for boxy things, not long-skinnies. Backpacks, not kayaks. I've seen roof rack systems, but you can be sure the C-Max versions are getting hard to find now that the car's out of production. 

In fact, the VW would be my first choice were it not for the uncertainty over post-repair drivability, and the certainty of some hefty maintenance bills for the diesel. There's a great irony in how well your needs fit into Ford's future products. The closest thing to a C-Max replacement is the 2020 Escape Hybrid, which fits your needs to a T, but blows your budget.

Best of luck,

Frank

Thanks re: reality of externally carrying things on C-Max.  My kids say it looks too small when I show it to them on the road. Most of the time it will be more than enough room.  But last winter we did a trip where they each brought a friend so there was five of us and all snow gear in the back of the truck.  So cases like that I could rent a vehicle a couple times a year, or keep the Silverado around, which I plan to at least a year since it not worth much other than it runs good.

The only upside to post "diesel -gate" TDIs is there like a 10 year, 120K mile transferable warranty on emissions/fuel parts with a loaner from the dealer, but over the long term - will they break down a lot? will the two year sitting cause other problems?  I think I am leaning toward the Jetta Sportwagen (I have a hold on one that I am looking at Wed. at 1pm so have to decide at least on that vehicle in next 24 hours) but the C Max is a close second.

I owned a 2009 Jetta TDI and sold before Diesel gate when I bought my 2013 C-Max primarily because of the TDI fuel high pressure pump issue and needing more cargo space.  I had my original HPFP replaced under the 5/60 powertrain warranty at 44k miles.  But there were many and more now (including 2013s) that are out of the 5/60 powertrain warranty.  I assume the emissions warranty extension does not cover the HPFP.  The replacement of the HPFP including labor is expensive.  Also, the TDI has a timing belt which is expensive to replace. Here's a thread to look at.  http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284441&page=136

I got the same FE with the Jetta as I do in my C-Max except diesel fuel runs about 20% more on average than gas.  Jetta TDI was better on the highway at 75 mph then the C-Max but worse in suburbs / city.  I liked my Jetta but wanted more hauling capacity with similar FE.  The C-Max fit the bill.

Thanks Plus 3.   The HPFP is covered as the whole fuel, emissions, turbo, ERG, diagnostic system, assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train  A don't think a timing built is covered.

I am looking at a Sportwagon so that has about a 1/3 more cargo space than a C-Max but less than a Jetta Sedan.  Also has roof racks and rated to tow 2000 lbs.  So it will do better than a C-Max for camping, snow boards, kayak, etc.

However, I will save more money on gas with the way I drive in a C-Max.  Majority daily city driving except for trips, family visits, some work, I put in the miles.  Like you pointed out the diesel here costs 25 to 45 cents more.

So I got a suggestion to look at the gas Sportwagens but the closest is 120 miles away and only three in 200 miles away and most are like 300-400 miles.   With the diesel expense, that almost evens out the cost between the gas and TDI sportwagen.   However, I don't think I want to travel that far to buy or get shipped such a used car. 

I think the JSW TDI will be better for cargo needs, C MAX for gas mileage - but I like the driving manual of the JSW better. 

I could try to wait to see if a more local gas Jetta comes available.

A 2016 C-Max is 3 years newer and is a real nice car.....hence why I am here considering it.

Hi, sorry for my obliviousness but are these original warranties transferable to a second owner on a 2016 C-Max with 35K miles?

• Corrosion perforation warranty: 60 months/ unlimited distance
  • Hybrid electrical components warranty: 96 months/100,000miles
  • Powertrain warranty: 60 months/60,000miles
  • Roadside assistance coverage: 60 months/60,000miles

We love how the C-Max Hybrid has more headroom than anything we compared it to.  With the seats folded I can carry bass amps and PA gear (boxy items). My wife commutes 45 minutes on county roads and sees 49-54mpg in warm months and 44-48mpg in the winter. We use a 2005 Subaru Legacy wagon on real snowy days but would invest in steel wheels and snows for the C-Max if the Subie dies. 

The Crosstek looks very truncated in the back and shorter in height. It seems more of a commuter car than cargo-worthy. Be aware that Subaru boxer engines mean you have twice as many heads, sensors, and gaskets, and spark plugs are more difficult to remove. Head service is easier with the engine out. Just be aware of costs once they get past 120,000 miles. The CVT transmission gets mixed reviews and mileage is not remarkable.

Thanks JMC, I have ruled out the CrossTrek because it has the same cargo space essentially to a C Max without the fuel economy, better in snow / external cargo of course but that is not most of the year in terms of weather or need to travel.  I will keep the truck at least one more winter for those bad days in snow.   Thanks for dispelling my assumption that the Sub may be less to maintain or repair - nice description of their engine components, plus AWD is more to maintain too.  I found the CrossTrek interior the worse of three.  No climate knobs in back just air under the seats.  My ten year old will never stop complaining.

I am leaning more and more to the C Max (and it was the CrossTrek size that got me back to the Ford).  I need to find out if those 5 and 8 year warranties are transferable to a second owner?

Thanks re the info on the warranties, Golf Plus.  There are more C-Maxs available in my geography than I originally thought, hadn't looked at Auto Trader. 

The dealer that has the Jetta just reduced the price on a 2016 Hybrid with 50K miles from $15K to $12.5K and say its it scheduled for auction.  That is definitely the lowest price I see locally.

I guess I will test drive both tomorrow and make a decision, including not doing anything at this stage as that is also an option. 

Thanks Frank.  

The C-Max has a surprising amount of cargo and the passenger area is bigger than a JSW.   The Wagon has only 8 more cu ft. in the back and with seats down 14 more than the hybrid.

My clearly more city miles makes the Ford a better choice and it is not that much smaller.   The VWs superior external options on the roof and towing is a plus for the wagon

My last purchase of my truck was a cheap impulse buy that worked out expect for the mileage, I'm putting way more thought into this one, lol, and trying not calculate all the money I wasted on gas if I had got a more fuel efficient vehicle as I had originally intended three years ago. 

inside measurements comparison wise:

1) C-Max Hybrid listed first

2) Jetta SportWagen listed second

Passenger Volume

100 cu.ft.

92 cu.ft.

Front Legroom

43.1 "

41.1 "

Front Headroom

41.0 "

38.4 "

Front Shoulder Room

55.9 "

54.8 "

Rear Legroom

36.5 "

35.5 "

Rear Headroom

39.4 "

38.1 "

Rear Shoulder Room

55.2 "

53.1 "

Interior Cargo Volume

24.5 cu.ft.

32.8 cu.ft.

Interior Cargo Volume Seats Folded

52.6 cu.ft.

66.9 cu.ft.

Hi everyone thanks for all your great advice.  I almost went with the C - Max but decided on the Jetta TDI wagon with the extended emissions warranty.

The Ford dealership I bought the JSW had a C-Max hybrid today that they had slashed the price by $2.5K to $12.5K from when I first visited. 2016, 50K miles, with a year left on factory powertrain warranty and 5 years/ 50K on hybrid parts including battery. The gas mileage is more suited for my majority city driving and gas is cheaper than diesel – in the end it just felt like (too me) a cool golf cart not a car. I felt in higher speeds felt sketchy and strapping a kayak or bike or snowboards was possible but not ideal.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.  In my head, I do believe the C-Max is more practical for 90% of my driving.  But the 10% I need more cargo or the all the time I like having a stick shift, sun roof, etc. the Jetta is more fun (or what I'll need, e.g. a weeks trip camping).