MFT 3.10 vs 3.06 - should I update?

My 2013 C-Max has My Ford Touch version 3.06.   Should I do the free update to 3.10?  What does 3.10 have or not have that is an improvement over 3.06?

I think 3.06 has been working ok.  One issue it that sometimes when I change radio stations the sound changes but the old station information is still displayed.  If I turn the radio off and turn it right back on then the correct station information is displayed.  Ford tried to fix this for me once, but the fix didn't work.  I don't know if this is a MFT issue or something else.

Thanks

Dave

Toggle "button" that gives you the ability to mute GPS voice right from the map display?  I think they also added the ability to connect the sync computer to internet via your cell phone but I don't think there is any benefit to that from a consumer standpoint.

I ran 3.8 for a while and that was fine, 3.10 actually seems to have an issue with bluetooth audio streaming music from Google Play Music on my iPhone SE.  The first time I connect, the audio stream speeds up to the point where it goes out of sync - eventually the whole phone disconnects bluetooth and reconnects - from that point forward if you restart the audio it works okay.  It was a little grumpy on 3.8 but whatever they did in 3.10 aggravates the problem even more.  Also, they still haven't fixed the track display for MP3 and/or Audio CDs - sometimes it will neglect to update the song title when it switches to a new song.

From what I recall, 3.08 is a good upgrade from 3.06, but I've seen no real improvements with 3.10. Instead, 3.10 seems to have more issues, at least on my C-Max; instead I found 3.08 to be the most stable version. I don't know if there is a way for you to still go to 3.08 but, if possible, that is the version I'd install.

Edited by raadsel

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a mailer that Ford has a recall "Customer Satisfaction Program 19K03" and that all Ford Sync 2 system are to be updated for free to v3.10 ( SYNCGen2_3.10.16180.EA.0_PRODUCT ) I was on 3.6.2 ( SYNCGen2_4.30.13171_PRODUCT ).

For my VIN, it seems to be a "dealer-only update". First dealer visit, the APIM would not take the 3.10 update. Second visit to dealer, with a new APIM, the were unable to load the software to make it work. So in the meantime, I am still on old version.

Anyone has had experiences with updating to v3.10 as per 19K03?

Some info on MyFord Touch features and revision history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch

List of updates are:

The current version of MyFord Touch is 3.10 (11/2016). Changes in this new release from the previous 3.8/3.7.11 releases are as follows:

• Hazard switch illuminates on Focus / Escape with ignition off and park lamps on
  • Next Track / Previous Track controls from SYNC touchscreen
  • SYNC Maintaining Repeat / Shuffle settings that were set on the device side
  • Compatibility updates for the latest phone and media devices
  • Siri Eyesfree support for Apple (added in 3.8)
  • Reconnect Bluetooth device automatically (added in 3.8)

Check if you are eligible for a free update: https://secure.myfordtouchclassaction.com/SoftwareUpdateLandingPage

I did this update last week via USB stick. Installed without problems. You have to leave the car turned on while updating. My gas engine just turned on for a few seconds during the update, I think it took like 20 minutes or so. The update will store an xml file on your USB stick that you're supposed to send to Ford so that they 'll know you've got it. I didn't see much difference yet, except one thing....before the update, I was not able to enter my password for my home wireless network completely, after the update it worked like a charm.

8 hours ago, homestead said:

Did they try updating your car to 3.8 first?

I cannot tell for sure what the dealer's tech did but I assume he went straight to try installing 3.10

4 hours ago, Lacienega said:

I did this update last week via USB stick. Installed without problems. You have to leave the car turned on while updating. My gas engine just turned on for a few seconds during the update, I think it took like 20 minutes or so. The update will store an xml file on your USB stick that you're supposed to send to Ford so that they 'll know you've got it. I didn't see much difference yet, except one thing....before the update, I was not able to enter my password for my home wireless network completely, after the update it worked like a charm.

The problem is that I cannot seem to be able to download the file I need for the USB stick to do it myself. When I go to https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

the website shows " You're all up to date. Your vehicle has the most up-to-date SYNC software." with no file to download. But it the car, it shows 3.6.2 ( SYNCGen2_4.30.13171_PRODUCT )...

Supposedly the dealer (Ford Store Morgan Hill) has opened a ticket and will contact me when they get resolution...

Edited by olidx

Originally Ford said the approved way of updating to 3.10 was via dealer using IDS, they weren't going to push it out through the owner.ford.com website.   I have also updated via an image on USB, I had to search for a copy with google.

3.8 (or 3.08?) seems to be a worthwhile upgrade but I'm not sure 3.10 is that worthwhile - as other have said it may have introduced a few bugs as well. 

When I ask voice to "Play Track 1" it wants to know if I mean track 1 on the CD or track 1 in my media library and when I say "CD" it says, "That's not a valid track number for this disc" - then it says "CD" and I say "Play Track 1" and it goes ahead and plays the first track on the CD.

Edited by jestevens

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 11:20 AM, olidx said:

I have received a mailer that Ford has a recall "Customer Satisfaction Program 19K03" and that all Ford Sync 2 system are to be updated for free to v3.10 ( SYNCGen2_3.10.16180.EA.0_PRODUCT ) I was on 3.6.2 ( SYNCGen2_4.30.13171_PRODUCT ).

For my VIN, it seems to be a "dealer-only update". First dealer visit, the APIM would not take the 3.10 update. Second visit to dealer, with a new APIM, the were unable to load the software to make it work. So in the meantime, I am still on old version.

Anyone has had experiences with updating to v3.10 as per 19K03?

Some info on MyFord Touch features and revision history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch

List of updates are:

The current version of MyFord Touch is 3.10 (11/2016). Changes in this new release from the previous 3.8/3.7.11 releases are as follows:

• Hazard switch illuminates on Focus / Escape with ignition off and park lamps on
  • Next Track / Previous Track controls from SYNC touchscreen
  • SYNC Maintaining Repeat / Shuffle settings that were set on the device side
  • Compatibility updates for the latest phone and media devices
  • Siri Eyesfree support for Apple (added in 3.8)
  • Reconnect Bluetooth device automatically (added in 3.8)

Check if you are eligible for a free update: https://secure.myfordtouchclassaction.com/SoftwareUpdateLandingPage

Nice job collecting this info!  Given Ford does not tag the CCPU SW Version with the actual Sync software version, the wiki you posted is especially helpful.  Question: Were you ever able to upgrade your C-Max to 3.10? 

Here's my story.  I got the same notice you did and have the same Sync software version on my 2013 C-Max Energi SEL that you do (3.6.2).  I took my car to the dealer for the upgrade, but all they did was reprogram the APIM and leave the same software version in place.  Dealer now tells me 3.6.2 is the latest version for my VIN....Class Action website tells me 3.10 is the latest version for my VIN. 

Btw we're in the same area...my dealer is Frontier Ford (whom I do NOT like).  So, called the Ford Store in Morgan Hill and their shop foreman told me again that 3.6.2 is the latest version for my VIN.  I'm confused.

• 3 weeks later...

All right, y'all.  Here's where I am with the 3.10 upgrade

1. I have  a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi with Sync 3.6.2.  I've taken my car to two different dealers, and they can't make the update to 3.10 work. One dealer - Frontier Ford - tried to charge me $200.00 to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem.  I said go climb up a rope, this is supposed to be free.

2. Now I'm at Sunnyvale  Ford, who at least is not trying to charge me.   Ford is telling this dealer the update to 3.10 should work, but the dealer who's been successful with other C-Maxs and other models can't complete the upgrade.  They reprogram the APIM, but the software stays the same. IDS reports no errors whatsoever.  So I think I have the same problem as olidx

3.  But now I'm really confused, because Ford is actually telling this dealer the 3.10 update should work on my car!  Before this, I was thinking maybe the APIM on my 2013 C-Max has older Fw and just can't be updated beyond 3.6.2.  After all, the owner.ford.com website tells me I have the latest Sync software already(3.6.2) when I plug in my VIN.  But now, Ford says no, it should work.  I am not ruling out other technical difficulties, except for the fact that everything is working fine with 3.6.2.  What the heck?

I know what you're thinking: it it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But I also have a suspected parasitic draw issue and I want to rule out old software as the issue.  See my problem?  It's a giant cluster.  Anyway, I'll update you all if I ever get this to work.  I'm about ready to give up and buy the 3rd party Sync 3 upgrade kit.

My  2013 Hybrid build date Feb 2013 works with 3.10.  I installed it myself. (takes a while to install).

Difference might be I installed starting from 3.8 not 3.6.

I think the main changes from 3.6 on were for phone updates.  Read the release notes from each release and

see if you think you would benefit with upgrading.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, homestead said:

My  2013 Hybrid build date Feb 2013 works with 3.10.  I installed it myself. (takes a while to install).

Thx for this info.  Did you get the 3.10 update file from the Ford Sync Update website? Because all I've ever seen there is: "You're all up to date."  Same experience as olidx

Edited by cmaxy

1 hour ago, cmaxy said:

Thx for this info.  Did you get the 3.10 update file from the Ford Sync Update website? Because all I've ever seen there is: "You're all up to date."  Same experience as olidx

No the Ford site stopped letting you download the releases so I downloaded it from someone on the internet.

Here is the thread where I updated to 3.10.  

Edited by homestead

1 hour ago, homestead said:

No the Ford site stopped letting you download the releases so I downloaded it from someone on the internet.

Here is the thread where I updated to 3.10. 

I manged to do it within the last  month, but it was a convoluted process and involved signing up, entering my VIN, and then getting redirected back to the front page multiple times.

I'll look again tonight and see if I could find the route I took to download 3.10, and put it onto a USB stick.

SUCCESS!!!

Sunnyvale Ford was finally successful in updating the SyncGen 2 software from 3.6.2 to 3.10.  This after only a week, 2 different dealers, multiple reprograms wiping out my settings, multiple different conversations with Ford Tech Support by the dealers...but perseverance is important both on the part of the owner and the dealer.  So hats off to Sunnyvale Ford,  they are my dealer going forward.  No more Frontier Ford.  They committed the sin of trying to charge me for the update. 

Thanks to those of you who provided posts or emails with details of your success or failure.  To show my appreciation, I offer the following:

1. First, the class action that prompted Ford to create CSP 19K03 is a recent event and it's safe to say Ford has been having problems with implementing a wider update for all of us to 3.10 ever since.  I'm guessing the issue is with Ford Engineering and involves the IDS software and/or Sync software as well as crappy communication with the dealers.  The dealers need to step up their game as well.

2. Some of you with a later model C-Max(e.g. 2014, 2015) have been lucky because when you go to the Sync Update page you have a 3.10 file to download.  Some of you chose to download files posted by a third party which I think is risky personally, but to each his own.  For many of us - especially us early adopters (2013) - we continue to get screwed over and just see: "You're all up to date!" when we go the Sync Update page. So Ford, after I put in my VIN, just say: "The latest update is 3.10.  You must go to the dealer."  Don't lookup my VIN and tell me I have the latest software, you freakin' morons!  What a roll-out!

3. As I've previously recounted, I took my 2013 C-Max Energi to Frontier Ford and they couldn't do the update. Two times they reprogrmmed the APIM and the PCM, both times the sw version stayed at 3.6.2.  Then they wanted to charge me.

4. So I went to Sunnyvale Ford.  They kept the car a week and kept having the same issues as Fronitier Ford.  They reprogrammed the APIM and PCM twice, but the software would not update. No DTCs, no error messages, nothing.  But thankfully, this dealer kept reporting back to Ford Tech Support.  Finally today, 5/26/20, the dealer said, we can't do it.  I said, damn, ok, I'll be over to pick up my car...but on the way over, they managed to complete the update. I'm now at 3.10.

5. What made the update work finally?  The dealer says two things may have helped:
a. Ford did an update to the IDS software over Memorial Day weekend.
b. Something about switching cables or using one cable as opposed to two from the IDS laptop to the APIM module?  Sorry, I could not get clarity from the dealer on this one.

Conclusion
1. See attached files.  They detail what a successful IDS update to 3.10 looks like and show the conversations between the Dealer and Ford Tech Support.

2. Check your CCPU Software version, then use the Wikipedia link olidx provided to decode what software you're currently running. You may be told by Ford and the dealer you already have the latest version of the software.  Have no doubt 3.10 is the latest version of SyncGen 2 software.  

3. Ford has screwed this update process up miserably.  I count three dealers in my area that couldn't complete it.  I suspect Ford's IDS software and/or APIM software has issues.

4. Have no doubt the dealer can do the update.  Insist they call Ford Tech Support if the update fails.  If you're in my area, go to Sunnyvale Ford, ask for Markus.

5. The dealer must do this update for free as per the terms of the class action and CSP 19K03, but only until July 2020 is my understanding.  So get on it.
Also you get a year of free support after the upgrade. 

Hope this helps you.  Cheers all.

Successful IDS Update to 3.10.pdf IDS 3.10 Update Ford Tech Support.pdf

But if you are not part of the class action suit (got a letter from Ford), you do not qualify for the 3.10 update free of charge. Below is the link to see if one qualifies.  I believe I have 3.10 somewhere on a memory stick but see no benefit in "attempting" an update from 3.8 (which I did successfully from a Ford download) given issues people have experienced. 

IIRC, when 3.10 first was released in Nov 2016, everyone was suppose to be able to go to a Ford dealer and get it for free.  But to keep the dealers from being overwhelmed, Ford phased in the update by "selectively" changing the status of owners' sync system from up to date to 3.10 update available.  The Ford rep on this site at that time assured us that everyone would eventually be able to get the update and the status would change to update available, being free of charge (but the 12M02 APIM warranty extension of 5 years was from date of in-service).  I'm convinced that Ford chose to allow 12MO2 to expire for a lot of vehicles including mine by keeping my sync status as "up to date" for over one year until 12M02 expired on 12/29/2017.  It was in this time period that Ford reps no longer were on this site.  Coincidence? ?  It took a class action suit to get it done but unfortunately most owner states were not a party to the suit.

https://secure.myfordtouchclassaction.com/SoftwareUpdateLandingPage

2 hours ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

It took a class action suit to get it done but unfortunately most owner states were not a party to the suit. 

Thx for this. As you advise, people should go to the link enter their VIN and see if they qualify.  I thought everyone was automatically opted in to the class action unless they opted-out and decided to sue Ford separately.  Man, Ford really bit the big one on these issues: exaggerated the mileage, parasitic draw issues, Sync 2 issues, etc.  Then instead of owning up to it, they bailed.  it takes a class action to get their attention, but even now I think they're stonewalling.  Despite all this, the C-Max is still a sweet ride.  More's the pity.

2 hours ago, homestead said:

This is the file name of the 3.10 version I installed a couple years ago.

Gen2v310build16180updatepackageNA.zip

Is this the same as what they are calling 3.10 now?

Looks right: 16180.  I was determined to make the dealer do the update because I wanted to make sure.

I found the software on another Ford forum (Fusion or Explorer I think), downloaded to an old 1GB USB stick and installed it through the dash using the media hub in the armrest without too much trouble. 

Unfortunately there are still some bugs that make me think going from 3.8 to 3.10 isn't that wonderful or necessary.   I now have issues connecting bluetooth audio the first time with my original Iphone SE (the synchronization of sound gets out of whack to the point where it eventually disconnects - second time I connect it works fine) and MS seems to have some weird issues with updating track info when playing audio CDs that have always been there. 

I hit an awkward combination on the touchscreen one time and managed to freeze/hang the APIM while I was driving.  It must have some sort of deadlock timer because it did eventually reboot itself after about 5 minutes of being non-responsive.  I forget exactly what I pushed but I documented it somewhere on here at the time I think.

Edited by jestevens

3 hours ago, Lacienega said:

Yes, exactly the same files are included in my zip package once you open the folder.

Looks like Lacienega has you all covered on the download files for those of you who don't want to go or can't go (because you don't qualify) to the dealer.  Just to add to the mix...before I went to the dealer, I was also considering downloading a third -party 3.10 file and was looking at this video.  It's pretty good.  This guy also has the download files posted under Show More..