Cmax Energi HVB Battery replaced under Warranty

IslandCmax

I'm seeing battery degradation too. My 2017 Energi has 58,000 miles, and I'm getting just 4 KwH out of a charge. My fuel efficiency hasn't suffered much, though. The car got 70 mpg for the lifetime of the original tires. I reset the MPG meter when i changed to Primacy runflats, and the car dropped to a steady 60 MPG. High fuel efficiency- that's the real goal, isn't it? So the car seems worth keeping as long as it performs and behaves like new- right? 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, pureenergi said:

3.  The car is a brick if the HVB dies - I have to spend $9k to get my car to move if the battery dies, whereas a C-Max hybrid or plain ICE would be able to keep going with a cheaper or free repair.  If I have to pay $9k for a new battery, my car is essentially totaled since the battery will cost more than the blue book value.

IMG_4982.jpg

I haven't heard this before, and I think I read most of the posts in the old site. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? My limited understanding of the C-Max Energis that it has a separate 1.5 KwH battery capacity on the hybrid side, the same as the Hybrid  model, and the HVB adds 7.5 KwH on top of that. 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:28 PM, NRGTi said:

I haven't heard this before, and I think I read most of the posts in the old site. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? My limited understanding of the C-Max Energis that it has a separate 1.5 KwH battery capacity on the hybrid side, the same as the Hybrid  model, and the HVB adds 7.5 KwH on top of that. 

It's all one single battery pack segmented in software. Generally speaking, 5.5kwh should be what a brand new off-the-line pack should get on the plug-in side of things. 4kwh or above is still in 'good' territory.

This has actually been puzzling me for a while!  If the "hybrid" part of the Energi battery is the lowest (say) 5% of all cells, isn't that really hard on the battery?   It makes better engineering sense if the "hybrid" part is 5% of the cells in the HVB that are then kept charged to some optimal level until the rest of the HVB has been depleted, and are then kept neatr that optimal level as an energy buffer.

It has been lore here that discharging the HVB to a low level is bad for it; are we hurting the whole pack by cycling all of the cells between 3 and 6% when running in hybrid mode?

I always felt the main design issue is the air cooling system.  It just can't handle heat the same way a liquid (coolant) cooling system can.  We "upgraded" (quotes because My Ford Touch is super in comparison) to an '18 Honda Clarity.  At 50k mi I notice 0 degradation in amount of kWh electricity it fills with....

• 1 month later...