OneMom

Traveling last monday on a short trip for work (58 miles one way). Suddenly my car dropped from 55mph to about 5mph and a red triangle telling me to stop safely now. If I had been on the interstate I would likely be dead now. Two lane road with high snowbanks. Finally got partially off the road with flashers on. Turned car off, waited a couple minutes and started fine with no red triangle. What the heck was that?? I am terrified to drive my car! Dealer says nothing wrong. Check engine light on but for no reason. 2013 c-max hybrid not sel or se.

I bought my car in oct 2017, it had about 49,000 miles on it. It now has 56,895.

Edited by OneMom
Background info on my csr.

Really can't speculate without Diagnostic Trouble Codes.  If your CEL is still on, get the DTC read (dealer or I think Autozone will still read them for free). It is also possible that there are codes stored in memory.   What do you mean "not sel or se"?  Do you have the Energi?   It could be an anomaly and never happen again.  Generally, the software detects a condition where it cannot determine the state of the vehicle while you are driving or it is getting mixed signals as to what is happening while your driving and for ones safety, tells you to stop safely now.  If the state continued to exist on restart, the software will not allow the car to start.  So, whatever caused the message is not present now. 

First off, welcome to the resurrected forum. Second, have you tried a search on the forum for some of your key words?

I did a search for "red triangle" and got a page of threads, including one with a technical service bulletin. You may get an answer to a question, but you're always better off looking for prior answers, too. 

HAve fun,

Frank, who sees Plus 3 has just replied... your in good hands. 

6 hours ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

Really can't speculate without Diagnostic Trouble Codes.  If your CEL is still on, get the DTC read (dealer or I think Autozone will still read them for free). It is also possible that there are codes stored in memory.   What do you mean "not sel or se"?  Do you have the Energi?   It could be an anomaly and never happen again.  Generally, the software detects a condition where it cannot determine the state of the vehicle while you are driving or it is getting mixed signals as to what is happening while your driving and for ones safety, tells you to stop safely now.  If the state continued to exist on restart, the software will not allow the car to start.  So, whatever caused the message is not present now. 

It is just a c-max hybrid. There is no se or sel after hybrid. This is the 2nd time this happened. Ford garage can't duplicate, so there is obviously nothing wrong, except my fear of being killed on the interstate when my car decides to drop my speed to 5mph and force me to stop.

6 hours ago, fbov said:

First off, welcome to the resurrected forum. Second, have you tried a search on the forum for some of your key words?

I did a search for "red triangle" and got a page of threads, including one with a technical service bulletin. You may get an answer to a question, but you're always better off looking for prior answers, too. 

HAve fun,

Frank, who sees Plus 3 has just replied... your in good hands. 

I searched red triangle and many other words before I posted. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, OneMom said:

It is just a c-max hybrid. There is no se or sel after hybrid. This is the 2nd time this happened. Ford garage can't duplicate, so there is obviously nothing wrong, except my fear of being killed on the interstate when my car decides to drop my speed to 5mph and force me to stop.

Ford made three MY 2013 C-Maxes - SE, SEL, and an Energi - and the emblem should be above the Hybrid on the rear liftgate.  Someone must have pulled it off - about $10 or so for a stick on emblem. I doubt this issue is related to the model of the C-Max. 

Look on the dealer Service Order and it should describe what they found / did.  If no codes listed, then there were no DTCs stored.  Unfortunately, you are experiencing a Limited Operating Strategy (see below).  Normally, you should be able to drive at "limp speed" for a good while as I believe you were likely in EV mode running off the HVB.  Once stopped, the software will not allow the car to move.  After car is shutdown, the car may restart if all startup software monitors, which check critical systems, allow a restart. 

Is there anything similar between the two stop safely now events, like driving conditions, weather, engine running or on EV, high voltage battery symbol extremely low, coasting and so forth.  Yes, the problem is if no codes and it can't be duplicated, one likely has to "wait" for a hard failure. I can't think of anything that one can do if the event happens but to get off the highway as soon as possible.

"Limited Operating Strategy (LOS) Modes

The PCM may initiate one or more of the LOS modes for some hybrid electric system concerns. The objective of the LOS modes are to manage vehicle operation after one or more of the following systems are disabled due to a concern:

• engine
  • transmission
  • high voltage traction battery
  • regenerative brake system

Some LOS modes limit the vehicle capability to a limp home condition. Other LOS modes fully disable the vehicle. The PCM initiates the appropriate LOS mode depending on the severity of the concern that was detected." - Service Manual

10 hours ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

Yes, the problem is if no codes and it can't be duplicated, one likely has to "wait" for a hard failure.

+3, is it your understanding that its possible to have a "stop safely now" event after which there may be no code set?  If so, that seems utterly irresponsible on Ford's part, especially if it goes into "limp home" or "fully disabled" modes.  For such serious and possibly dangerous events, there should be a permanent record!

13 hours ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

Ford made three MY 2013 C-Maxes - SE, SEL, and an Energi - and the emblem should be above the Hybrid on the rear liftgate.  Someone must have pulled it off - about $10 or so for a stick on emblem. I doubt this issue is related to the model of the C-Max. 

Look on the dealer Service Order and it should describe what they found / did.  If no codes listed, then there were no DTCs stored.  Unfortunately, you are experiencing a Limited Operating Strategy (see below).  Normally, you should be able to drive at "limp speed" for a good while as I believe you were likely in EV mode running off the HVB.  Once stopped, the software will not allow the car to move.  After car is shutdown, the car may restart if all startup software monitors, which check critical systems, allow a restart. 

Is there anything similar between the two stop safely now events, like driving conditions, weather, engine running or on EV, high voltage battery symbol extremely low, coasting and so forth.  Yes, the problem is if no codes and it can't be duplicated, one likely has to "wait" for a hard failure. I can't think of anything that one can do if the event happens but to get off the highway as soon as possible.

"Limited Operating Strategy (LOS) Modes

The PCM may initiate one or more of the LOS modes for some hybrid electric system concerns. The objective of the LOS modes are to manage vehicle operation after one or more of the following systems are disabled due to a concern:

• engine
  • transmission
  • high voltage traction battery
  • regenerative brake system

Some LOS modes limit the vehicle capability to a limp home condition. Other LOS modes fully disable the vehicle. The PCM initiates the appropriate LOS mode depending on the severity of the concern that was detected." - Service Manual

The first time was on dry roads last spring. Two lane US highway with a 65mph speed limit. Cruise was set on 62. Temperature was probably in the 50s. Last week I was traveling on a state highway (rural), 55mph speed limit. Did not have cruise on because of some water in spots from melting snow. Air temp was about 35. 

6 hours ago, SnowStorm said:

+3, is it your understanding that its possible to have a "stop safely now" event after which there may be no code set?  If so, that seems utterly irresponsible on Ford's part, especially if it goes into "limp home" or "fully disabled" modes.  For such serious and possibly dangerous events, there should be a permanent record!

No, but if one does not scan for DTCs soon enough and the issue is no longer present, the DTC can be erased / cleared.  I think I posted this before but if not here's Ford's description of the 3 types of DTCs and how they are handled. Note the red text as to how DTCs are cleared without a scan tool assuming problem is no longer present.

There are three types of continuous DTCs:

• an emission related malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) code which illuminates the CHECK ENGINE indicator in the instrument cluster.
  • a non emission related, non MIL code which does not illuminate the CHECK ENGINE indicator, but illuminates the powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench), HAZARD, or both indicators.
  • a non emission, non MIL code which does not illuminate any indicators.

For emission-related MIL DTCs, the PCM stores the DTC in continuous memory when a concern is detected for the first time. At this point the DTC does not illuminate the MIL and is considered a pending code. The purpose of pending codes is to assist in repair verification by reporting a pending DTC after one drive cycle. If the same concern is detected after the next drive cycle, the emission related MIL code illuminates the MIL and sets both a confirmed MIL DTC and a permanent DTC. The MIL remains illuminated even if the concern is intermittent. A permanent DTC is stored until three consecutive passing drive cycles have been completed after a repair and the MIL turns off, or after a request to clear DTCs has been made using the scan tool and the next monitoring cycle has completed and passed for that DTC.

Confirmed emission related MIL DTCs and any non emission related, non MIL DTCs are erased approximately 40 vehicle warm up cycles after the concern was last detected, or if the DTCs are cleared by the scan tool.

Pending emission-related MIL DTCs that never detect a concern on a second consecutive drive cycle (and never light the MIL) are not retained in memory for any number of vehicle warm up cycles; they are immediately cleared when the next monitoring cycle has completed and passed for that DTC, or until a request to clear DTCs has been made by the scan tool.

Any scan tool that meets OBD requirements can access the continuous memory to retrieve emission related MIL DTCs. However, not all scan tools access pending and non emission related, non MIL DTCs in the same way.

During most diagnostic procedures in this manual, it is required that all DTCs be retrieved and cleared. Permanent DTCs cannot be directly cleared by the scan tool. When a scan tool clears DTCs, pending and confirmed DTCs are immediately cleared. Permanent DTCs will not clear until the next monitoring cycle has completed and passed for that DTC. For additional information, refer to Section 1, Powertrain Control Software , Permanent Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

• 2 years later...

I have had this issue also. Once while driving on the expressway, once just starting the car, and once while driving on side roads for only 2 blocks. Each time there wasn't a code. After the first one, the shop replaced the TCM. 4 weeks later the check engine light came on and they resurfaced the cylinder heads. As I started the car in the parking lot after the cylinder heads were resurfaced, the please stop safely error popped up. Since I was in the parking lot, they scanned it right away and there still wasn't a code. The shop fully erased all readings and codes in the system and they thought that was the issue. 2 weeks later the please stop safely came on again after driving 2 blocks. Each time the please stop safely came on, there wasn't a code. They did troubleshooting and saw the wrong voltage was going to the transmission after the first time, that's why they replaced the TCM. The shop is currently driving the car themselves and trying to find out the issue without any luck. I've had the coolant and transmission flushed on a regular basis and those system are working great. 

Anyone have any idea why this keeps happening? 

I have a 2013 C-Max Energi SEL 153,000 miles

Had symptoms like that with my 2013SEL [not Energi, just regular hybrid]. Ask the shop to pull & load test the 12v battery. Do not rely on the car's battery monitor only. I believe that the codes are stored via the car's 12v system & are lost when 12v battery goes in & out [somebody please correct if I'm wrong]. Because the car uses so little of the 12v battery capacity starting [compared to regular cars], it is harder to point to the 12v battery as a weak spot. Hope this helps & Thanks for the read.

• 8 months later...

Just adding in my experience. My wife had this happen in the middle of an intersection where it just stopped. They said it was the one battery that is there to start the car that was bad. It's a regular battery not one of the master cells that the car runs off.  They replaced it and it stopped after they completely reset the computer. I had replace it once but I guess it was a cheap one. That battery is a pain to replace. Its in the hatchback area and you have to take a lot of stuff out to get access to it.

• 6 months later...

Had this happen twice on a road trip with my 2013 Ford C-Max Energi. Terrifying “Stop Safely Now” warning, pulled over on a dangerous interstate emergency lane. It allowed me to drive it 5 mph to the next exit where we had it towed to a AAA service center. They couldn’t figure out anything but reset the error codes. We continued on our way and made it 3 hours further when it happened again. Limped it to a Ford Dealer who also couldn’t figure out the codes and wanted $800+ to continue diagnosing, also telling us it may be a $2,500 fix or a $17,000 new battery. Helllll no.

Come to find out the key for us was likely this: Both times were within 1-2 minutes after filling up the gas tank. We learned later from another Ford salesperson who knew EVs better that you should never fill up the gas tank on a plug in hybrid because it can trip error codes. Nowhere in our eight years with this car had we heard that or experienced that. Had to pass this on! 

Anyone figure out a solution to this issue? I've had this happen to me while 9n the highway. Doing approximately 65. Very hot outside with temps in 100s. All of a sudden light comes on. I pulled into a gas station and turned vehicle off immediately. Let it sit for 15 and then turned back on. Let it idle for about 5 and decided to start driving. As soon as I get on the on ramp of the highway, the light comes back on and this time, it completely shits down the car. The car will start fine with the engine on however, after a few seconds the engine will shut off. The car is completely unresponsive but auxillary power is still running. Really would like to understand what this issue could be to potentially resolve it prior to taking to dealer as the vehicle will need to be towed. 

• 2 weeks later...
We had an SE in our fleet at work some years ago and one of my co-workers had the same situation with a sudden loss of power on the highway .. it was severe enough that he decided to not drive C-MAX in the future. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what the dealership found as the issue and this was likely when the vehicle was new in 2013-14.

I have never really had a huge issue with my SEL, none of the parasitic drain issues or anything -- makes me wonder if the SE had some issues the SEL did not.

When I first bought the car used I would intermittently have an issue where the check engine light would come on when trying to engage the push button start in "Run" mode from sitting in a parking lot, but a software update from the dealer fixed that. (Yes, I had my foot on the brake to start).

• 3 weeks later...