Sync's Cellular Radio For Remote Operation and updates

I have a 2014 Cmax Energi.  I had the cell radio updated when Ford did the recall a long time ago.  About a year ago it stopped working and I lost remote access and the ability to update. I have done all the restart stuff like removing the fuse and even disconnecting the battery.  Did Ford abandon me?  If not does anyone know how I can get to the radio to make sure something didn't get unplugged?   Suggestions please.  Thank you. 

Look at your About SYNC screen (that's what it's called on my 2017 with SYNC 3, might be different on the MFT models). If your TCU (modem) is communicating with the car then you will see a modem serial number (ESN) listed. If it shows up blank then your modem is dead, unplugged or frozen up. 

If there is an ESN listed then it means your modem is probably fine. Do you have good AT&T coverage where you are? Have you tried removing the car from your myfordmobile.com account and setting it up again from scratch?

On 8/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, bookemdano said:

Look at your About SYNC screen... 

Since moving to an Escape, I've joined an Escape forum, where everything you said about SYNC rings true. I needed the modem ESN to update my maps. None of it applies to C-Max with SYNC2/MFT. C-Max uses the owner's cell phone to submit a report. There is no internal wireless modem or cell phone capability, as in the Escape. 

On 8/11/2020 at 5:54 PM, John A Smith said:

About a year ago it stopped working...

It didn't stop working, Ford ended support for that feature on MFT-based systems (SYNC 2). And in my case, it was several years ago that Vehicle Health Reports stopped working. 

Stay well,

Frank

Edited by fbov

On 8/11/2020 at 2:54 PM, John A Smith said:

I have a 2014 Cmax Energi.  I had the cell radio updated when Ford did the recall a long time ago.  About a year ago it stopped working and I lost remote access and the ability to update. I have done all the restart stuff like removing the fuse and even disconnecting the battery.  Did Ford abandon me?  If not does anyone know how I can get to the radio to make sure something didn't get unplugged?   Suggestions please.  Thank you. 

I assume when you say "cell radio updated" you mean dealer preformed CSP 15N04 which replaced the TCU (2G modem with a 3G modem TCU).  If not, IIRC, then you will no longer be able to use the MyFord mobile system on your Energi as 2G service was axed. I don't recall the service date when Ford stopped 2G service.  If you had 15N04 done, then you should scan all modules for DTC especially those listed below.  Search under my user name for ForScan in forum and also go to FORScan.org for info on APP for smartphone and an ODDii Elm327 adapter (<$30 total for App and knockoff ELM adapter.) which will enable you to Scan all modules.

DTC Chart: TCU - PHEV

Diagnostics in this manual assume a certain skill level and knowledge of Ford-specific diagnostic practices.
REFER to: Diagnostic Methods (100-00 General Information, Description and Operation).

DTC Description Action
B116C:04 External SIM Cable/SIM Card: System Internal Failure   GO to Pinpoint Test AE
U0100:00 Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A": No Sub Type Information   GO to Pinpoint Test AI
U0140:00 Lost Communication With Body Control Module: No Sub Type Information   GO to Pinpoint Test AJ
U0155:00 Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module: No Sub Type Information   GO to Pinpoint Test AL
U0253:00 Lost Communication With Accessory Protocol Interface Module: No Sub Type Information   GO to Pinpoint Test AR
U2100:00 Initial Configuration Not Complete: No Sub Type Information CHECK vehicle service history for recent service actions related to this module. This DTC sets due to incomplete or incorrect Programmable Module Installation (PMI) procedures. If there have been recent service actions with this module, REPEAT/PERFORM the Programmable Module Installation (PMI) procedure as directed by the diagnostic scan tool.
REFER to: Module Configuration - System Operation and Component Description (418-01 Module Configuration, Description and Operation).
See Programmable Module Installation (PMI). If there have been no recent service actions, INSTALL a new TCU to correct the failure to retain configuration data.
REFER to: Telematic Control Unit Module (TCU) (415-00B Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: AM/FM/CD/SYNC/Touchscreen Display, Removal and Installation).
U2101:00 Control Module Configuration Incompatible: No Sub Type Information CHECK vehicle service history for recent service actions related to this module. This DTC sets due to incomplete or incorrect Programmable Module Installation (PMI) procedures. If there have been recent service actions with this module, REPEAT/PERFORM the Programmable Module Installation (PMI) procedure as directed by the diagnostic scan tool.
REFER to: Module Configuration - System Operation and Component Description (418-01 Module Configuration, Description and Operation).
See Programmable Module Installation (PMI). If there have been no recent service actions, INSTALL a new TCU to correct the failure to retain configuration data.
REFER to: Telematic Control Unit Module (TCU) (415-00B Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: AM/FM/CD/SYNC/Touchscreen Display, Removal and Installation).
U3000:04 Control Module: System Internal Failure
  • CLEAR the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
  • WAIT at least 10 seconds.
  • REPEAT the self-test.
  • If DTC U3000:04 is retrieved again, INSTALL a new TCU .
U3000:41 Control Module: General Checksum Failure
  • REPEAT the self-test.
  • If DTC U3000:41 is retrieved again, INSTALL a new TCU .
U3000:42 Control Module: General Memory Failure
  • REPEAT the self-test.
  • If DTC U3000:42 is retrieved again, INSTALL a new TCU .
U3003:16 Battery Voltage: Circuit Voltage Below Threshold   GO to Pinpoint Test AV
U3003:17 Battery Voltage: Circuit Voltage Above Threshold   GO to Pinpoint Test AW

Symptom Charts

Symptom Chart: General Audio System

Diagnostics in this manual assume a certain skill level and knowledge of Ford-specific

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

7 hours ago, fbov said:

Since moving to an Escape, I've joined an Escape forum, where everything you said about SYNC rings true. I needed the modem ESN to update my maps. None of it applies to C-Max with SYNC2/MFT. C-Max uses the owner's cell phone to submit a report. There is no internal wireless modem or cell phone capability, as in the Escape. 

It didn't stop working, Ford ended support for that feature on MFT-based systems (SYNC 2). And in my case, it was several years ago that Vehicle Health Reports stopped working. 

Stay well,

Frank

I believe the OP is talking about the modem/TCU, which is only present on the Energi model (IIRC) to allow trip/charge tracking and remote start/lock/unlock features. The TCU is indeed a wireless cellular modem (uses the AT&T network).

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your helpful replies, I must not have notification active.  Yes I had the 2G cellular modem replaced with the 3G version as soon as the update was issued.  I believe my 2014 C-Max has Sync 2.   I just spent about 15 minutes searching everything on the screen for any reference to a modem, TCU, or MFT but there's nothing.  Possibly that's what happens when it gets disabled for some reason.  I am wondering if there might be a fuse at the modem, or possibly something got unplugged, but I have no idea where to look for that modem.  Frank said Ford dropped support but was he referring to 2G or maybe just the health report?  I would like to be able to remotely start, lock, unlock and locate my C-max which is basically how I was using it before.  I checked MyFordMobile and it has been a bit over 2 years since it connected to my car.  I have tried to reset by removing the fuse that had to be done occasionally even before this failure.  Any tips where the modem is and how to get to it would be apprciated.  

18 hours ago, John A Smith said:

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your helpful replies, I must not have notification active.  Yes I had the 2G cellular modem replaced with the 3G version as soon as the update was issued.  I believe my 2014 C-Max has Sync 2.   I just spent about 15 minutes searching everything on the screen for any reference to a modem, TCU, or MFT but there's nothing.  Possibly that's what happens when it gets disabled for some reason.  I am wondering if there might be a fuse at the modem, or possibly something got unplugged, but I have no idea where to look for that modem.  Frank said Ford dropped support but was he referring to 2G or maybe just the health report?  I would like to be able to remotely start, lock, unlock and locate my C-max which is basically how I was using it before.  I checked MyFordMobile and it has been a bit over 2 years since it connected to my car.  I have tried to reset by removing the fuse that had to be done occasionally even before this failure.  Any tips where the modem is and how to get to it would be apprciated.  

Check the "System Information" screen (which can be found on the MFT interface by going to Settings > Help > System Information. I think you can also get there by hitting the Voice Command button and saying "help".)

On the system information screen, look for something that says "Modem ESN" 

On my 2017 Energi (which is SYNC3) it's called "Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)"

Maybe someone else with an older Energi can report where it can be found with MFT. 

Edit: Ford did drop support for the 2G modems (err, rather AT&T did--they don't have 2G towers anymore). Ford also deprecated Vehicle Health Reports, but those have nothing to do with MFM, which is for remote start/lock/unlock/charging).

The modem/TCU is in the cargo area behind the plastic trim. IIRC it's on the left side but not positive. If you google "C-Max TCU location" or replacement I think there are some helpful posts if you want to tear into it.

Edited by bookemdano