2015 CMax Hybrid: Brakes lights remain on

RustyMacIntosh

Brakes lights remain on even after shutting the car down. They will remain on until the 12v battery is dead.  We tried charging the 1 year old 12v. Then replacing it.

Still after you drive and park, the tail lights remain on.  IF you open the hatch, pop the battery lid open, loosen the pos side and disconnect for 3 seconds, reconnect, the

tail lights stay off.  Next time you use the CMax, the tail lights stay on.

Disconnect the brake light switch, the lights remain on.....

any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine sometimes does this after having been rear-ended, resulting in damage to rear hatch and parking sensors. 

I suspect it's an imbalance in the electrical load causing this behavior, but can't be more specific as I've not tested for nor found the component(s) causing it. 

Also, mine just stays on for like 10-15 minutes, then the lights shut off after a while. 

Wow, they stay on even after you disconnect the brake light switch?  Maybe my story will help you somehow....

I'm having similar trouble, but am hoping a new switch will fix it.  My ABS light came on a few weeks ago, which I've been ignoring, as I'm hardly driving since covid came and want to avoid another trip to the dealer.  Yesterday, my brake lights came on while the car was parked in the carport.  If I open a door, pump the brakes, or do just about anything, they will go off... for a while - 15 minutes or a couple of hours.  I have an Energi, so this morning  I took a drive with the gas engine to charge the (new) 12-volt battery.  The little wrench icon appeared, and disappeared, and appeared again.  I think it's off again, now!  Three thousand youtube videos later, I took another drive to test my cruise control, which (aha!) was not working!  Youtube informs me this combo of events means my switch is faulty, as it also controls the on/off of the cruise control.  The Auto Parts fellow convinced me to try replacing the cheap brake pedal stop pad first (to save a few bucks, as the switch is not returnable), but I have yet to figure out where it might go - my car's pedal/switch configuration looks quite different than those in the videos (Focus, Fiesta, etc.).  So now I'm just going to buy the ~$30 switch, replace my original, and see what happens.

All suggestions are welcome!  

• 8 months later...

Tinta, what switch did you replace and did it end up fixing the problem?  My daughter’s 2014 Energi is having the same issue. Battery died, replaced it (which is almost impossible because with no battery you can’t open the hatch) and noticed that the left and high mount brake lights stay on. After reading this I took a spin and noted that the cruise is also not working. I’ve got the fuse pulled for the brake lights now so I can charge it back up, but need to figure out what needs to be replaced to fix it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...