air conditioning

grege

2018 titanium:  is the AC on these hybrids generally just "ok" or weak?  I ask bc even when I set mine to LO and LO-max, it blows cool air, but cold air is not an option until after 30 minutes of driving.  It's never blown warm air (yet) except at the beginning, but it's definitely disappointing and it's definitely not cold.  I will eventually grab a temperature probe and insert into the vents, but until then...would love to know other's experiences.

Thanks,

Greg

MAX AC turns the temp to LO on both sides, fan on high and closes the fresh air vents/turns on recirculate.

Here in Pennsylvania if I tap MAX AC button after about 20 minutes I have to turn the AC back to Auto (tap Auto twice) or it becomes uncomfortably cold.

A few other threads have described the AC coil icing up due to bad thermostat sensor .. turn off AC for a few minutes to let the coil de-ice or replace thermostat sensor?  I would hope that you aren't low on refrigerant with a 2018.

The red defrost button does the same thing in winter -- max heat directed at the windshield - great if you get snow or ice in the winter.

Thanks,

John

Edited by jestevens

Are all of your vents open?  There is a huge vent that spans the width of the center console stack below the touchscreen .. it has a roller control in the center to open and close.  Sort of works like the old fashioned "crotch cooler" vents from older cars but I've noticed that when it is open the air volume from the vents in the periphery isn't as strong.  I'm not a huge fan of the vent setup on this car anyway -- you can try putting vents to floor but because of the way the HVAC stack works I don't think there are any vents actually at the floor.

Edited by jestevens

All the vents are open and yes, the hidden center stack one is essential.  Auto ON 71F should feel pretty cold when it's 85-100F outside, but it doesn't, so I've given up just crank the AC down to LO and...not impressed (and not until 30 minutes later does it feel likes it's starting to get cold).  Ridiculous.

Greg

19 hours ago, ptjones said:

Do you use recirculate so you aren't cooling outside air? Cabin filter been changed?

Paul

Filter is good (changed regularly) and I've tried various iterations, including recirc only, LO only, always with all vents open.  I'll test it for one more week and likely drop it at the dealer...again.  

Greg

50 days of 110F + and C-Max AC handles it with ease in full sun.  AC load running around 1500 Watts once cabin cooled to setpoint temp.  Turn set point temperature to minimum.  Measure the temperature out of the center vent.  Within a minute or so temp should be in the lower 40s F.  If above 50F, there's an issue. Compressor is turned off if evaporator core reaches about 35.6 F.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer