Brakes

DarenHayes

I recently test drove a 2019ford fusion titanium which I did not really like... Anyway.. I found the braking in the car very different from my Cmax.. When I removed my foot from the gas pedal (accelerating) I found the fusion dramatically slowed down... My cmax does this as well, but not nearly as severe.. Car did not coast very far at all my cmax coasts much further.. There are none for sale near me to test drive either.. Thanks covid lol.. Are the newer Cmax like this as well? Thanks. 

If they put standard tires on the car instead of low rolling resistance tires this could happen as well. 

We had Fusion Hybrids in our fleet at work and I was not impressed, it seems like a very large, heavy car .. compared to say a Sonata Hybrid or Toyota.   It felt sort of like piloting an ironclad steamship -- was all I could do to get the car to go 55MPH up a hill, and then on the way back down I felt I had attained ramming speed.  If you aren't in a hurry to drive anywhere I guess it's fine.  I sort of got the same impression from the GMC Terrain -- heavy, uses a lot of gas, for what -- a four seat crossover?   

Using Sync 3 I had to constantly look away from the road, I actually like the menu system where they divide the screen up into quadrants in Sync 2 better.

Edited by jestevens

22 hours ago, DarenHayes said:

2019.... fusion dramatically slowed down ...

... because you were regen braking. I bet it's a change in throttle calibration.

Conventional drivetrains have some retarding force applied with no throttle, engine braking in a manual. Ford put a little retarding force at no throttle. Apparently the anmount has varies over years and model lines. My 2013 C-Max had very little no-throttle braking, requiring light foot pressure to get to zero-bar output (true coasting as if in neutral). In the new Escape, no-throttle braking varies across driving modes, greatest in ECO mode. It sounds like the Fusion was closer to the 2020's ECO mode than NORMAL mode in thie respect.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. But does anyone know if newer Cmax are heavy on regen braking? I'm currently considering either getting (a newer 2017 or 18) Cmax or  Niro..... But i live in an area where they rarely come up for sale (so I cannot test drive one) . And now due to covid I can't really go anywhere... I guess I could adapt to heavy regen due to the extreme comfort and vision of a cmax.. I test drove a niro and got 66mpg tho,similar size and I loved the heated steering wheel, but not really anywhere near as comfy as a cmax. The brakes in the niro (like a regular car) are almost unexistent compared to the cmax, I much prefer the grippy cmax brakes.  The niro has zero head room (my head was almost out the sunroof lol) and is lower seating than cmax as well. Thanks. 

Our 2018 C-Max has what we would consider well-tempered, not aggressive, regen braking.  Pressing what I call the descent button on the gear lever invokes more deceleration force.  But in normal Drive mode, we can coast smoothly up to a corner and turn without having to use much (if any) brake pedal. We really enjoy the handling aspect of the C-Max for that reason.

My wife's commute mileage after 30,000 miles is 49.8mpg with about 50% EV . Sorry I can't recall the Regen stats - which indirectly says it performs seamlessly.