fuel door wont open

Terry ju

Twice my fuel door did not open after I used a different "procedure".  My cable did open the fuel door and ever since then and because it's flimsy plastic not to be trusted, I will only use this process:  park car, pull hand brake, push "off" button and ONLY then do I press the fuel door button.  No codes or check engine lights, though, so not changing the working process until/unless I have to do so... 

Greg

• 3 months later...

I have had this problem twice now on my 2017 CMAX Energi. The "fuel door opening" message comes up on the dash as it should when I press the fuel door release button, but about twelve seconds later, the "Refueling error: see manual" message is displayed. First time it was fixed under warranty. Now, a year and a half later I have to pull the emergency door release (behind the black plastic panel) every time I need to fuel up. The Ford dealer says it is fuel tank pressure problem. FTP reads 1.37 when it should be between 1.40 and 1.50. They want $835 + tax to fix. Too much in my view, especially as it was already "fixed" once... Did you find a fix? Please let me know what it was and cost if you could. Thanks!

Edited by RickM
need to better explain issue for readers

• 9 months later...

I just encountered this issue today. I'm on my second Cmax, my first was a 2013 Cmax SEL, that I had ZERO problems with but sold it at 135K miles and got a 2018 SE which is having this damned fuel door not opening issue. I have not contacted a dealer yet (should still be under warranty) but I did look for a manual release in the back and couldn't find one. I have a boot with a full sized spare, fuel can, jump box etc in it so it's not exactly wide open to see where a manual release might be, but I sure didn't see one where I expected it to be. What I am not geting is what fuel tank press has to do with the fuel door opening? Sounds like there is no common fix here and THAT worries me. 

All covered in your owners manual:

It's unknown why it doesn't open exactly (very well could have a DTC stored for it), but the reason it has to wait is to relieve the pressure from the tank first obviously. It has to do that and verify the pressure in the tank has dropped before it'll open the filler door.

Screenshot 2022-01-11 194237.png