Tailgaters, Harassment, and other irritants

jmckinley

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it seems like In the C Max I'm getting more tailgaters and other nasty irritating behavior from other drivers.  I'm not a hypermiler, but it still seems like people are resentful of the Hybrid.

Several times I've used the great acceleration of the Max to get people off my tail. It seems like they are presupposing that you will drive like a dork and want to punish you for it even if you're not.

Had a guy ride my butt all the way up to 85 the other day before finally backing off.

I was used to the dirty looks when driving my 8 mpg motorhome, but this attitude is totally unexpected.  

<br />

You could turn it around and let them by and draft on them and save some mpg's. It's a challenge to take a situation and turn it into your favor. Tailgaters are annoying. Being a hybrid driver puts a different perpective on things.

<br />

<br />

I do the same and usually bait those types up to the speed I want. Quickly pull over, let them by, pull behind and draft.

Edited by darrelld

It does seem like the majority of them are big SUVs.

Just got back from a trip where we were tailgated by a big Tahoe.  DW was driving, and when she pulled over to right lane, the guy never passed.  He probably ran out of gas.

Some people, however, are just dumb and will follow the car ahead up to or down to any speed.  Years ago, when I worked for a major supplier of OE brakes, we would do some testing on the road.  On more than one occasion we saw people tailgate us through an entire fade test.  This is maximum acceleration to 60 mph, full braking down to 20 mph, repeat 20 times.  Saw one lady with smoke rolling out of the wheelwells, still clueless.  And, this was on a lightly traveled secondary 4 lane highway where it would have been easy to just drive around us. And, we had a big "Caution Brake Test" sign and flashing lights on the decklid.

Edited by jmckinley

Some people are just a-holes, I just keep gradually slowing down if they get too close.  I usually keep up with traffic, except when coming up to a red light where some idiots just zoom up and squash the brakes, but I've seen some people get aggressive for no apparent reason while I'm keeping up with traffic - likely after seeing the hybrid tag. I have a buddy with a Camry Hybrid who has the hybrid tags taped over for that reason - still some ignorant knuckle draggers evolved enough to turn a key around here.

Edited by CNCGeek

Interesting about taping over the Hybrid badge.  I've been considering the same thing.  I assumed these guys couldn't read, but maybe some of them have evolved slightly.

The phenomenon might just be related to car size.  I've always observed that our Miata is a tailgater target and when I actually obey the speed limit my motorcycles are also tailgated a lot - and it is really scary to be tailgated on a motorcycle.  In fact, being hit from the rear at intersections is the second most common motorcycle accident.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some drivers that do not like to be "in the lead", they will follow and mirror a driver in front.

In a past career, I drove near 40,000 miles annually.  Many freeway trips across Minnesota, Dakotas, etc.  On one in particular, I had crusie set at speed limit ( back in the days of 55 mph limit and enforcement).  A female driver came up behind me and locked in.  After several miles, it got annoying, so I kicked out the cruise and lowered my speed to about 50 - no change.  I sped up to 65, she mirrored my speed.  Now this went on for 20-30 miles.....IU finally took an exit off, she stayed on the freeway.  I waited a mintue then got right back on, sped up to 65.  In a short time I came on her again, she had latched onto another car and was following him the same as she had me.

Oh well, it was just odd. 

May I wish I had the C-Max back then.  Was driving VW Rabbit diesels in the late 70s-early 80s and got consistent 50 mpg - - and fuel was 69 cents a gallon I think!

I just keep slowing down until the person gets so pissed they go around me and thus stop tailgating me :-)

I've lived and driven in Southern California all of my life and I hate to say it, but that might invite some threatening behavior against you or your car.  I hear what you are saying but, I find myself keeping a low profile and not trying to become a freeway "ballistic" statistic.  So. Cal drivers can be rude and aggressive usually driving 15-20 mph over the speed limit.  The only way to avoid their ire is to stay in the right lane and go at least 60 mph!  That limits my ability to practice some of the hyper-miling tricks , but, I still love driving tis car!   :)  

I was driving back from on the streets after I had a x-ray and this street was loaded with traffic lights. Eventhough I am driving on the right hand lane and doing the speed limit and a tad more and an upcoming red light, how many people are willing to speed and brake hard to stop at the light. Morons. Even when I was driving a Jag, I never had the inclination to do these stupid illogical actions....I can't wait till the gas prices rise to get some of these morons off the road.  :nonono:

I just had a guy this morning doing the tailgating and hitting his hand on the steering wheel.  I was on a very busy 4 lane road with lots of stop lights.  I always make sure I am doing the speed limit and the guy in the SUV behind me just couldn't deal.  I stopped for a red light and he hit his hand on his steering wheel.  Unfortunately he was turning the same way I was.  Finally, he turned into the bowling alley as I continued down the road.  Must have been late for his league game. haha

Oh, some drivers are just frustrated because they can't get somewhere two seconds sooner. Last night a guy honked at me because he felt I hadn't taken off at a stop light fast enough for him. If I'd have taken off any faster, I'd have hit the car in front of me. And then he'd have plowed into me, and hey, then he'd have REALLY been inconvenienced. 

Oh, some drivers are just frustrated because they can't get somewhere two seconds sooner. Last night a guy honked at me because he felt I hadn't taken off at a stop light fast enough for him. If I'd have taken off any faster, I'd have hit the car in front of me. And then he'd have plowed into me, and hey, then he'd have REALLY been inconvenienced. 

In Plano they honk if you don't turn right on red while you sit beside 2 large signs clearly prohibiting this. :)

• 2 weeks later...