I've had me SEL Cmax about a month & 4300 miles. Only averaging 33-35mpg

Jrust

SO I have had my Cmax for about a month. I've got 4300 miles on it & my MPG isn't great. I'm averaging 33-35mpg & am really disgusted. I bought it with the 47 mpg estimate expecting it to get at least low 40's. Most of my driving is hwy with only maybe 20% in town. IT has been really cold the last 2 weeks. I think warmer weather will help it some. Still I just can't see it ever getting close to that 47mpg. 

What mileage are you getting?

Have your highway miles been around 75MPH or something?  It's been discussed quite a few times on this forum already, but the EPA estimates are very optimistic in comparison to real world driving.  Their highway numbers are derived from driving speeds around 55-60 MPH.

The hyrbid system, in general, does get poorer milage in the cooler temps than it does in warmer temps.  It uses the engine to warm up the cabin if you are using your heat, which most of us do. It also seems to run to keep it warmed up a little even when you don't use the heat.  If you go to Fuelly and look at other hybrids (Prius, Camry, Sonata, etc)  you will see that they all suffer during the winter months.

With that said, I still think 47 is going to be difficult for most people to maintain in this car.  I think the more realistic numbers will be around 44/40/42 from my experiences so far.  If you are driving mostly highway miles, make sure you check the PSI in your tires regularly.  The PSI will make a decent difference in milage.  The door says they are supposed to be at 38.  I keep mine at 42 and the difference in feel is very well tolerated for me.  42 is well within the max sidewall pressure for the Michelin Energy A/S.

Received our SEL November 29th.  Mileage for the first while stayed around 6.2 L per 100 kilometers (38 US mgp).  Last week or two  has been consistent at 5.4 L per 100 kilometers (43 US mpg).  Temps lately ranging from 0C (32F) to 6 or 7 C (low 40's F).  Mostly city driving with some highway, but I only have 1000 kilometers (600 miles) on my C-Max.  I notice of late that I am staying in EV much more frequently.  Ford Canada advertises our mileage 4.0 city and 4.1 L highway.  Maybe in the summer or in their dreams--we shall see.  I never drive over 65 mph on the highway, and I am turning into a pulse and glider as it is so challenging. When hubby drives it, it is a different story--very similar to your miles per gallon Jrust.  But we are both happy with the car even with our different driving styles and different results.

I have done both fwy driving at around 70. To check my mileage I have gone on a hwy too at 60. I have milked it a every chance to try to get it to do better. Even milking it in every way possible the best I have gotten out of a tank was 35.8. I did a 45 minute run at 55 on eco cruise & reset my mpg average. I got 37 but it didn't take long for that to drop back down. During my 45 minute drive home on eco cruise I am staying right at 60. I am lucky to get it into EV mode once during my trip. It doesn't stay for more than a few seconds. 

I do see EV mode more in town but not enough to get my mpg's up

My experience with eco is that it tends to stay out of EV than it does in EV, unless, the gradient is downhill. Also, I've had instances where I set the eco to 58mph, then I fang up the hill to say 67 and at around 63-62 when it should go into EV as I was intending to keep it there, eco cruise still has the ICE on mixed with the EV. I have to turn off the cruise and then I can keep some uphill EV to burn some battery. All of this is on the slow right lane of course.

SO I have had my Cmax for about a month. I've got 4300 miles on it & my MPG isn't great. I'm averaging 33-35mpg & am really disgusted. I bought it with the 47 mpg estimate expecting it to get at least low 40's. Most of my driving is hwy with only maybe 20% in town. IT has been really cold the last 2 weeks. I think warmer weather will help it some. Still I just can't see it ever getting close to that 47mpg. 

What mileage are you getting?

The only way I get highway mileage that low is driving 75-80 mph.

If you are driving primarily highway miles you should have bought a diesel.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/90434-2012-vw-passat-brings-hybrid-beating-diesel-tech-stateside

Edited by darrelld

+ 1 re: highway driving. For lots of miles esp highway, consider a diesel first. A good second choice would be the "eco" version of the Focus or Cruze. With tall gearing and a few other tweaks (low rolling resistance tires, aero aids) those cars can do real-world 40+ MPG highway running regular gas.

Not that the OP made a bad choice. I mean, the C Max drives great on the highway and it says 47 MPG on the window.  No one can be blamed for likng that, especially considering that most cars will get pretty close to the sticker mileage these days. I don't blame you at all for being disappointed and frustrated.

For some perspective: I owned a 2004 Prius for just over two years. This was before the 2008 MPG revisions. It said 60 MPG city/51 MPG hwy on the sticker. The car was introduced in late 2003 (I took delivery in late November), and within a few weeks the forums were ablaze with people who were ticked off that they were getting 38-44 MPG driving their new Priuses around in January. It all kind of blew over once spring arrived.

From the peanut gallery - first post, don't own a C-Max yet, just a wannabe for now; have read everything I can find on the C-Max & dozens of user threads.

I sympathize with Jrust for 'trying everything' to get better MPG, and not getting close.  I also understand how careful driving and good weather conditions make a huge difference.  Hopefully for Ford, it is all 'careful driving', 'good weather conditions' and several other key factors - 100%.  Am I convinced of that?  Well, not exactly - yet.

Theory:  It appears to me that the ICE is genuinely good for say 30 to 37 mpg on it's own, and that the power plant is expected to contribute lets say 2 to 10mpg on average; yielding a broad range of say 32 to 47.  It appears to me (based on Fuelly), that some folks are having no trouble reaching the 42 to 48 mpg numbers (even here in hilly Seattle) suggesting that the battery/power plant is contributing fully.  On the contrary, some folks don't seem to be getting near the full compliment of 2 to 10 MPG out of the battery/power plant.  Are the batteries meeting spec's?  Are the batteries spec'ed high enough to do the job 90%/95%/99% of the time?  What are the battery spec's?  (Also shelf life effects before delivery / NMH vs Lithium Ion differences????)

I won't speculate on Ford's car selection for EPA testing procedures, but........................?

Is anybody checking out these batteries for charge/discharge characteristics?  Just crazy thoughts perhaps, but I want my future C-Max to have the best battery available.  (I do have one picked out that I am drooling all over)

Love the C-Max, hoping for the best out of them for all of us.  Love that they can be driven in two different fashions;  'sporty (or Winter)mode' (32-35 mpg) and 'frugal (or Summer Breeze) mode' (40-50 mpg).  Kudos to Ford!

Nick

Seattle, WA

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

We've had our C-Max for a month and are in the 35mpg range. Disappointed but hoping that much is due to the cold weather here in Minnesota. We're certainly careful drivers- don't spin wheels much in icy Minnesota. The most I've been able to eke out was a 42 mpg stretch over 5 miles. Despite the less than advertised mpg love the ride!

I can vouch for the not so good MPG in some cars. I have the '13 Fusion hybrid and get pretty much the same MPG as the OP. However I drove all the way to Florida, with ecocruise set anywhere from 55 to 70 and all I saw was 38.  In 78* weather I saw no difference than what I see up here in 30* weather. My daily drive is about the same mostly highway, but rural highway of 55 MPH, some hilly, some flat.

I also have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid and drive the same route in that one for the past year, got it in Sept 11, and put 34K miles on it, had 1100 when I got it. I have had it up to 43 MPG average during the summer, and it gets down to about 34 in the really cold weather like we have now.  Been that way since day 1.  It is rated 36 highway, 41 city, 39 combined.  I am quite pleased with what it gets, so taking that into consideration on cold losses, theoretically the new one should be at least 42 MPG, but instead is about 34 MPG.

It has been in twice for poor MPG complaints, and both times Ford said nothing wrong, however, this last time also involved a check engine light that was from misfires. All 4 plugs were carbon fouled.  4500 miles and the plugs are carbon fouled?  Poor gas mileage adn fouled plugs usually means, OVER RICH conditions, but Ford said, no problem found.

The way I got the CEL to come on, accelerated hard from a dead stop onto a highway, at about 45 MPH the car bucked, the CEL started blinking, car ran rough, then cleared, then I turned on another road and gave it gas and it came on again.

Next day drove it to work, and no CEL, then on the way home, pulled out into traffic and gave it gas going up hill, then solid CEL.   So if you are getting bad MPG, try accelerating hard a few times and see if you can through a CEL, especially if you have about 4500 miles on it.  Im wondering if those of use getting not so good MPG are having the same issue. 

My theory on this is a batch of bad sensors reporting false readings so more fuel is actually used than what the computer thinks is being used so everything appears to be normal, yet when you fill the tank and check it, its off.   I dont know what the tech was looking at when he test drove it though because all I saw was 36 on my trip home using Ecocruise and keeping the coach bars as blue as possible driving no faster than 55.

Then again, maybe you dont drive this car like a hybrid, the service manager said he drove it like he drives his own car and got it to 40. He doesnt believe these cars can ever acheive 47 MPG on the highway.

I have done both fwy driving at around 70. To check my mileage I have gone on a hwy too at 60. I have milked it a every chance to try to get it to do better. Even milking it in every way possible the best I have gotten out of a tank was 35.8. I did a 45 minute run at 55 on eco cruise & reset my mpg average. I got 37 but it didn't take long for that to drop back down. During my 45 minute drive home on eco cruise I am staying right at 60. I am lucky to get it into EV mode once during my trip. It doesn't stay for more than a few seconds. 

I do see EV mode more in town but not enough to get my mpg's up

You need to read the 3mpg gain thread, your problem is the ICE is never getting up to temp. My grill covers speeds up ICE heating up plus reduce aero drag at 70mph. There only $50 now but will be going up soon.

sml_gallery_143_17_69987.jpgtn_gallery_143_17_336637.jpg

I do see a swing up when the weather is warmer. At 50 degrees I can get 38-40. So there is definitely a big difference for me. Originally I just wanted to take it back to ford. While I d like the Cmax & the way it drives. The 47mpg was why I bought it over a Prius. So it just pissed me off every time I drove it only seeing the 33mpg. I've decided to just let it go & enjoy driving my Cmax The low MPG really was my only complaint with it. I am optimistic that it will get closer to 40 when the weather improves too. I will keep my eye's open here too for updates from other owners. Thanks for all the input :)

You need to read the 3mpg gain thread, your problem is the ICE is never getting up to temp. My grill covers speeds up ICE heating up plus reduce aero drag at 70mph. There only $50 now but will be going up soon.

sml_gallery_143_17_69987.jpgtn_gallery_143_17_336637.jpg

I looked for the thread & can't find it. Where is it? I would have no problem getting those grill covers if they will help

Just ready to turn 10K on my C-Max. We are running a steady 37-38 in 20' degree weather. 80% highway, 65 to 75. It was doing around 40 untill the weather turned colder.

FYI  Did have a strange glitch the other day. Drove into town about 35 miles. Parked for a couple of hours, when I came out and started the car, the engine took off running wide open. Shut it off started it again same thing. I finnally realized that I had the heater turned way up. (engine runs when you turn the heater up, right) turned the heater off and it started and ran normal.

No other problems, except the seat heaters are really hot even on low.

I have ordered a C-Max Energi (plug-in version) and will take delivery in March (delivery purposely delayed owing to my travel commitments).  This is my first plug-in, but it will be my third hybrid.  I bought a Honda Civic hybrid in 04 and bought a Honda Insight in 10.   Some thoughts on hybrid MPG from nine years of experience:

·         The mpg on the Hondas took a distinct move upward after having about 6k miles on the system.  I don't know why, but it happened on both cars.

·         I get a 10% - 15% drop in MPG when the temperature is below about 45Fº

·         I get another little drop in MPG if the roads are wet (happens often here in the Pacific Northwest).

·         Roof racks or any other exterior protrusion (team flags, etc.) are a killer.

·         Tire pressure is another item to watch - not hyper critical like roof racks.  But, watch the tire pressure.

·         Short trips are a killer - one of the reasons I am going for a plug-in.

·         Highway speeds (65 +) cause about a 10% drop.

·         Headwind - another killer.  We get heavy winds in the Columbia Gorge.  But, it always works out.  One way I'll get slammed, but the other way I'll make it up.

I'll see how the C-Max does compared to the two Hondas I've had.

Below freezing temps the last week or so. Dropped my mpg close to 30. I also had my clock way of this morning after not using it all weekend? Got in this morning & started it. My clock was ahead by a good 3 & a half hours. I had this happen once before too???

Jrust, what are your lowest temps? I'm in SE Michigan and we've had temps from +9 degrees - 30 degrees for most days since I got my C-max. My lifetime average is 36.5, according to Fuelly, I think...........see below. This past week we had temps near 60 and I got 44mpg with no effort at all.

We've been hovering around freezing. Nothing to drastic really. It definitely affects the mileage. It's been colder in the 20's & my mileage dropped closer to 30. Lifetime I'm sitting at 33.2 which is frustrating. After being pissed off about my mileage for the first month & 4000 miles. I finally let it go & am just enjoying my Cmax. It is a great driving car & getting 30+ doing 70-80 is pretty okay. Not even close to what I was expecting. I am content to see how it does once it warms up. I'm past the point where I'm going to spend much time upset if it doesn't improve to 40+ then

JAZ: Excellent slogan! (I'll see you over on the 'looking for a bike rack' board)

Eddy: we drove the Civic Hybrid for 10 years since 2003. It will be interesting to hear how you think the CMax compares. We've had the CMax only a week, but my impression is that it takes a little different mindset. We don't have the plugin though-- can't get it here.

I purchased my C-Max on 10-17-12...about 4,204 miles later, using the cruise whenever possible for acceleration (as I'm sure the computer is programmed for best mpg accelerating), and averaging 37.36 mpg (chart attached) while accelerating slower than everyone else and never going over the speed limit...I'm very disappointed.  I see the Prius's achieve much higher MPGs (50 to 53).  I would like to have a C-Max follow a Prius on a 500 mile minimum trip and have the two cars then compare their MPGs. This way you remove the human variability element and have the cars driven under identical conditions. My bet is that the Prius will be 22.6% better in MPGs.   The C-Max MPG rating looks to be 10 mpg too high.  I do know how to squeeze MPG's out of gallons as my 2003 Jetta Diesel is averaging 48.8 mpg here in Minnesota (chart attached).  Where do I join a class action lawsuit for being deceived on my C-Max with the claimed 47 MPGs?  Or is there a better way to resolve this by having Ford buy it back so I can buy a Prius.  I bought this car strictly to buy American, the 47 mpg claim, and to help our country but I should not have to be misled by false MPG claims.  I would more than welcome any trained Ford Rep to come by right now and drive my car on a 200+ mile trip with a balance of city and highway driving and show me that my car will get 47 mpg...better yet I will borrow a Prius and follow them so we can then compare MPGs to each other and to their respective EPA published MPGs.  My guess is the Prius will be very close to its published MPG and the C-Max will fall far short of its'.  As you can see, I am upset over the false MPG ratings...besides this, I do love everything else about the C-Max and have been WOWed by it many times.

post-416-0-95728700-1358652771_thumb.png

post-416-0-07653300-1358652774_thumb.png

Gee Gultim you really are bummed out.  If you read through this forum slowly and carefully, you will see that many have a much better experience than you. I am sure some of the techo whiz guys will respond with some sound advice.  I have only had my car since the beginning of December and don't have 1000 miles on it yet, but I only get your mileage when my car isn't warmed up or if I sit idling to warm it up instead of hitting the road and let it warm up while driving. I never ever use cruise control, but I have to comment that my husband does use it always even with city driving and his mileage is awful compared to mine so you won't convince me that cruise control is a good thing with a hybrid.  I have read though that eco cruise has benefits on the highway.  I think that accelerating more normally is important too--the people here on the forum taught me that.  I used to creep off and that is not good.  You need to get up to speed steadily and slightly over and then drop back a bit and let it go into EV and keep it there as long as possible.  I drive with my empower gauge and see that even when not in EV, I am in the mode where EV is assisting ICE and that really really helps my mileage. Under articles section, I posted an article from car truth and you might want to read that.  I do see that you are in Minnesota (I googled Winona and that is what I came up with), and obviously you have very cold temperatures there which will negatively affect your mileage.  From my perspective Ford has not misrepresented the C-Max.  Buyers who are disappointed didn't do their homework about EPA stats and hybrids.  In your shoes, I would sell and buy the Prius.  Life is too short to get all bent and twisted over a car.  But we drove every Prius out there and they were just plain jane ordinary cars without an ounce of pizazz.  Chin up.