Who says it can't be done-Post Highs here-over 25 miles traveled

salprint

Recycling from another thread - 74.4MPGs and I included the route map below.

8343126641_2b94320f24.jpg

This was a run from Encino Hills to North Hollywood mid valley. Here's the route:

8345904617_4d6dc23005.jpg

It's downhill from A to the Ventura and then it's "allegedly" flat from Ventura Blvd to B. Personally, I was stunned by the reading. Mind you, I had a full battery by the time I got to Ventura so there must be something there to push this car along to those mileage. Typically my batts are mid to low level.

Salsprint, can you elaborate a bit on the conditions for your commute? Congrats on the good numbers.

Its about the same everyday.  I leave my home and have to travel about 3 miles through side streets with a lot of stop signs.  Then I get on a highway with traffic lights for about 4 miles, then I'm on an expressway for about 20 miles.  The expressway is clear for about 3/4 of the trip and then sometimes it slows down to about 45-50 mph.  

My 3 trips from today. Drive to the in-laws, then round trip from San Francisco to Los Altos and back. Trip there 46.9 mpg, trip back 48.7 mpg. 4 adults in the car, 50F ambient temp. It also started to rain on the trip back. Will post pics when I get to a computer.

post-217-0-19380200-1357433192_thumb.jpg 2 adults in the car, mixed local/highway driving, top speed ~65mph for the brief portion on the highway.

post-217-0-57768700-1357433193_thumb.jpg 4 adults in the car, 80% highway driving, speeds from 55-75mph.

post-217-0-06286800-1357433195_thumb.jpg 4 adults in the car, 80% highway driving, speeds from 55-70mph, raining for most of the way back.

11.5mi/(50.2mi/gal) = 0.229gal

37.1mi/(46.9mi/gal) = 0.791gal

35.8mi/(48.7mi/gal) = 0.735gal

84.4mi/1.755gal = 48.091mpg = 48.1mpg

Edited by From Speed6ing 2 C-Maxing

I don't think I tried too hard to get that mileage.  In terms of driving style, it was just staying to the right and 2nd to right most lanes on a 4 lane highway, using "smart driving".  I'd look ahead and move over one lane when cars were merging, and I'd find a slower moving truck to stay behind so I didn't need to drive 75+ if I didn't want to.  In other words, I did not hold up traffic (my preference would have been to go 60mph all the way as I did intend to drive for efficiency yesterday).

What I think helped a lot was the ambient temperature and the fact that the car was "warmed up."  My wife and I made a short ~3 mile trip at 10am, then the same ~3 mile trip back home at 12pm.  Had lunch at home, then drove to the inlaws at 12:45pm (which was the 1st trip at 50.2mpg).  When I got there, I turned off the car and took the picture as the inlaws got in.  We then headed south to Los Altos on that 37.1 mile trip (46.9mpg) to pick some stuff up.  When we got there, I took a picture, then we got out of the car for ~15 minutes.  We made a couple short 1-2 mile trips to the bank, to another store, then we headed back to San Francisco and stopped at a supermarket 35.8 miles @ 48.7mpg).  We drove back to the inlaws (short 2 mile trip that I did not document) and arrived just after 4pm.  We stayed at the inlaws for dinner.  We left for home at 9pm.  The car was cold by that time, and I decided to try the "eco route" home as guided by the GPS.  I got 46mpg, but I think the regular way home should be more efficient in that there wouldn't have been a long continuous climg for the first 3 miles that had my mpg at < 20.  Then again, I guess the engine needed to be on anyway since the car was warming up... so, maybe it was the most efficient?  I'll need to play with that.

Regardless...  > 47mpg CAN be done.  Now that its done, I'll just go back to driving like I regularly do - driving like I'm running late, which is what usually is the case =).

For sh!ts and giggles, I decided to go out tonight just to see if I could do 70mpg on a 25mile round trip.  I didn't do as well as I would have liked. 

Ambient temp was 44F, and I was last in the car 3 hours prior.

Solo driver, 85% local driving, with my needing to stop at many more stop signs and red lights than I would have liked (may need to find a different route next time, if I want to do this again).  Avg speed > 25MPH because I returned home around 55 minutes after I left.

No special techniques this time, just accelerating slowly, braking lightly but early, then letting off as the lights ahead are about to hit green...

post-217-0-57299100-1357624099_thumb.jpg

Tap...tap...tap

8360911614_2b2968303e.jpg

This is a decent 100+ mile run from San Fernando to Port Hueneme, Oxnard and back.

It's over 50MPG...time to....

Homer.jpg

Temps was 52F to 63F. Manual & eco-cruise when I am bored. Jus-under-3000 on the odo.

I am seeing better and better MPGs as the engine opens up. Woohoo....

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ok, can't figure out how to upload a picture here, but my drive home tonite, approx. 25 miles, was 44.1mpg. That's actually a little low for my home trip. I've gotten as high as 54.5. Today's temps were in the mid 30s. I drove w/bun warmers on and the heat when I needed it. The trip is thru 1 small community, 45-55mph speed limits, with some stop signs and/or lights. I was alone in the car.

Adair, I just use Flickr.

Here is another run this afternoon:

San Fernando to Camarillo:

8363334688_4d468187f7.jpg

Total for the return trip from Camarillo to San Fernando.

8362261913_98df9fc341.jpg

Approx. 70% highway. Temperature range from 65F to 70F. Eco-cruise, manual. Range of speeds from 60mph to 75mph.

So this begs the question of all these so called professional car review websites, how did they get their low-mid 30s MPG? Egg on their face, for sure.
Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus-a-C-Max................I have the image on my computer, I just can't find the *upload* button. I tried copy and paste but that didn't work, neither did drag and drop.....

Select the "More Reply Options" and scroll down to the bottom of the screen. You should see an attach files option.

Adair, I just use Flickr.

Here is another run this afternoon:

San Fernando to Camarillo:

8363334688_4d468187f7.jpg

Total for the return trip from Camarillo to San Fernando.

8362261913_98df9fc341.jpg

Approx. 70% highway. Temperature range from 65F to 70F. Eco-cruise, manual. Range of speeds from 60mph to 75mph.

So this begs the question of all these so called professional car review websites, how did they get their low-mid 30s MPG? Egg on their face, for sure.

Love seeing these....I knew I couldn't be the only one.  I don't understand those out there that say can only get in the high 30's.  I tried explaining it to a few, but they insist they shouldn't have to drive any different in order to achieve these numbers....I disagree.

>Love seeing these....I knew I couldn't be the only one.  I don't understand those out there that say can only get in the high 30's.  I tried explaining it to a

>few, but they insist they shouldn't have to drive any different in order to achieve these numbers....I disagree.

The deal with a Prius is that they HAVE to drive different because that car is totally set different. The acceleration and the handling is not like an ordinary car and to the Prius credit, it rolls pretty darn well as well. So Prius drives don't have a choice as they have to react to the car. The CMax is like an ordinary car, responsive to the throttle and steers pretty darn better than any front wheel drive car I have driven. Now it has guts so you feel there is performance there and performance - hybrid driving are oxymorons. The CMax driver can choose to hoon it around like they did with their gas car, or put on the Prius hat and drive conservative - they have a choice and the CMax will react according to the driver's wishes. Rewarding the hoon with performance and some mileage, and rewarding the conservative driver with even way more mileage. No buttons to press here...just choose with the gas peddle. My 2c.

As for my Max, I have no special grills, or foam, jus stock standard SEL. Most morning I leave my house, its mid or low 40s and then I am chuffing off down the 118 highway to Ventura county. However, one thing I do not do is speed at 75 constant. When I am bored or when the grade of the road calls for it, for example for those who live in the Agoura Hills/Westlake area, the 101 is a series of high rolling hills and I try to use the slope to pulse & glide (watching for the CHP as well) - sometimes up to 75 or more. On other days, I would set the eco-cruise on 60 and sit on the right hand lanes with the trucks. Sometimes I would draft although I don't  see much improvement there but may be I don't draft close enuf, who knows.

However, the secret sauce is the engine - give it time to open up and feed it some 91RON. Also, I last pumped my tires to 42psi as well after I think someone here suggested that (darrelld?) initially and that seems to be the spice in the sauce as well. I noticed my Max rolling much better on the glide phase than when it was when the tires were 35psi - although I can't be bothered to do the testings to prove it but as we all know, even the Almighty Halo Great One in the White House suggested that as well, maybe he's not BS for once in his public life - jus sayin'.....

However, my overall MPG is rolling upward and I drive the same areas, freeways, roads as part of my job.

Oh I hooned up a ramp today, got the kW gauge into the yellow, that felt good. Silly, I know.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax