Who says it can't be done-Post Highs here-over 25 miles traveled

salprint

Jus-A-CMax:

I've been trying to find routing tools that take into account changes in grade.  When I see that sort of variation (49-56 mpg) between the outbound and return trips, I attribute them to grade or head/tail wind.

This is one such tool, but it only reports the change in grade.  It doesn't seem to incorporate it in the route planning.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/create/

For the San Fernando to Camarillo path, depending on the route, there is a climb to 1582 feet.  The route starts at 1067 feet and drops to 175.  There are 4% grades near the top of the climb.  Based on your data, you got 38.2 mpg on the return to get your average of 48.5mpg for the whole trip.  I think I'm more impressed that you got 38 mpg on that long a climb.

Edited by jhritz

The deal with a Prius is that they HAVE to drive different because that car is totally set different. The acceleration and the handling is not like an ordinary car and to the Prius credit, it rolls pretty darn well as well. So Prius drives don't have a choice as they have to react to the car. The CMax is like an ordinary car, responsive to the throttle and steers pretty darn better than any front wheel drive car I have driven. Now it has guts so you feel there is performance there and performance - hybrid driving are oxymorons. The CMax driver can choose to hoon it around like they did with their gas car, or put on the Prius hat and drive conservative - they have a choice and the CMax will react according to the driver's wishes. Rewarding the hoon with performance and some mileage, and rewarding the conservative driver with even way more mileage. No buttons to press here...just choose with the gas peddle. My 2c.

As for my Max, I have no special grills, or foam, jus stock standard SEL. Most morning I leave my house, its mid or low 40s and then I am chuffing off down the 118 highway to Ventura county. However, one thing I do not do is speed at 75 constant. When I am bored or when the grade of the road calls for it, for example for those who live in the Agoura Hills/Westlake area, the 101 is a series of high rolling hills and I try to use the slope to pulse & glide (watching for the CHP as well) - sometimes up to 75 or more. On other days, I would set the eco-cruise on 60 and sit on the right hand lanes with the trucks. Sometimes I would draft although I don't  see much improvement there but may be I don't draft close enuf, who knows.

However, the secret sauce is the engine - give it time to open up and feed it some 91RON. Also, I last pumped my tires to 42psi as well after I think someone here suggested that (darrelld?) initially and that seems to be the spice in the sauce as well. I noticed my Max rolling much better on the glide phase than when it was when the tires were 35psi - although I can't be bothered to do the testings to prove it but as we all know, even the Almighty Halo Great One in the White House suggested that as well, maybe he's not BS for once in his public life - jus sayin'.....

However, my overall MPG is rolling upward and I drive the same areas, freeways, roads as part of my job.

Oh I hooned up a ramp today, got the kW gauge into the yellow, that felt good. Silly, I know.

I think most CMAX owners get about one mpg less than the display, some more. Would be interesting if you kept track of the difference on your fill ups so you could factor that in. The couple of times I tried Premium I think I gained 1-2mpg, but I not sure if it's worth the additional expense plus I have to use regular for my testing. Drafting I saw an average of 3mpg and if traffic is fairly heavy you're drafting whether you want to or not.  Four to six car lengths  works pretty well. Does anyone have any real data on how much going from 38 to 42psi increases mpg?      

Jus-A-CMax:

I've been trying to find routing tools that take into account changes in grade.  When I see that sort of variation (49-56 mpg) between the outbound and return trips, I attribute them to grade or head/tail wind.

This is one such tool, but it only reports the change in grade.  It doesn't seem to incorporate it in the route planning.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/create/

For the San Fernando to Camarillo path, depending on the route, there is a climb to 1582 feet.  The route starts at 1067 feet and drops to 175.  There are 4% grades near the top of the climb.  Based on your data, you got 38.2 mpg on the return to get your average of 48.5mpg for the whole trip.  I think I'm more impressed that you got 38 mpg on that long a climb.

Cool website, I think I will start using it, thanks for the link. Its 56MPG there and when I returned home, it was 49MPG total so you are correct, the climb from Camarillo back to San Fernando took some toll, plus I did some high speed P&G on the way back. Typically my runs to Ventura county are 50s and upward from the 118 and the divert either to Los Angeles or the 101 depending on my job. I always hate the run back from Ventura as I know I always lose mileage especially all the way from the Madera exit in Simi Valley to the brutal 3 mile hike to the top of the Box Canyon exit in Woodland Hills - those who drive in LA know exactly what I mean.

ptjones - yep, I was following too close then - around 2 car length, gonna back off. I'm sticking with 91RON for now, its only 20c difference here in CA and I seem to be getting more than my investment in it. 

Interestingly, I showed my wife a run from our house to the Calabasas exit, thru Box Canyon and got something like 51.2MPG so she called me mileage obsessed. She drives my thirsty Jaguar now but I think she pines for a Jaguar hybrid...sure, not. At least not in the near future.

Took a trip yesterday up to Amish country. 60ºF, no wind, 2 adults and 100 pounds of dogs in the car. Middle grill filled with foam. Bottom grill with just one piece of pipe insulation spread across it (totally blocking one set of opening and partially blocking 2 more sets of openings). 7 miles on 4 lane 55 MPH and 12 miles on interstate at 65 MPH each way. 32 miles up there. 46.5 MPG. 36 miles home 49 MPG. Temperature gauge never got past the halfway mark. Very pleased!

Recycling from another thread - 74.4MPGs and I included the route map below.

8343126641_2b94320f24.jpg

This was a run from Encino Hills to North Hollywood mid valley. Here's the route:

8345904617_4d6dc23005.jpg

It's downhill from A to the Ventura and then it's "allegedly" flat from Ventura Blvd to B. Personally, I was stunned by the reading. Mind you, I had a full battery by the time I got to Ventura so there must be something there to push this car along to those mileage. Typically my batts are mid to low level.

In my opinion, this is not an accurate measurement of your MPG.  Going down hill half of the trip and then using a fully charged battery to travel EV the rest of he trip on flat land, doesn't prove much, except that your car coasts down hill nicely!  You need to make the return trip back up the hill to get a real world round trip MPG average.  Any one of us  exceed the EPA mileage if we all measured only the down hill portion of our trip!    

Jus-A-Cmax

You've clearly doctored those photos. That kind of mileage isn't possible. . . I know because Consumer Reports told me so! ;-)

Ha...I wish I could have doctored my MPGs from Mammoth tonight. Man I am tired, just driving back after riding the mountain. Oh Max hit a new low, low temp, -4F...that is cold. I wished I had ptjones grill plates that night.... :drool:

In my opinion, this is not an accurate measurement of your MPG.  Going down hill half of the trip and then using a fully charged battery to travel EV the rest of he trip on flat land, doesn't prove much, except that your car coasts down hill nicely!  You need to make the return trip back up the hill to get a real world round trip MPG average.  Any one of us  exceed the EPA mileage if we all measured only the down hill portion of our trip!    

:redcard: ...lighten up dude....for starters, its less than 25 miles so if you want to be a tight wad about it just cause it doesn't meet the OP subject title, but I thought I would post it as its a high anyway. Here, just take it as an amusement for your senses, as you are so concerned with me having a full battery charge and utilizing it to my advantage all whilst driving along one of the main and busiest east-west major roads in the valley with all the stops lights. C'mon, you know Victory Blvd, you cannot say its not a busy road loaded with tons of traffic lights start/stop. 

As an fyi, on this day, I drove from San Fernando to Newbury Park to Encino Hills (up and around Encino Hills) to North Hollywood and back to San Fernando for 43.6MPG and about 106 odd miles along the 118, 101, 170 and whatever street or freeway I may care to take and at whatever speeds and at whatever temps. 

Yes, my Max can coast and I am happy  :wub2:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus A-CMax

I suppose I should have put a couple of "happy faces" after my post but, couldn't pass up the opportunity for a friendly "jerk of your chain," just a little!   ;) We cover much of the same So.Cal turf and I enjoy your posts :happy feet:   I LUV my C Max too!  

Edited by Generalbeluga

No worries Gen, its cool and I was tired so I should not have posted.Hey heres a tip - if anytime you need to go from the 118 to the 101 use Box Canyon as much as you can. If you're like me, you spend some fuel climbing to the peak going west on the 118 and then it's an INSANE ALL ELECTRIC downhill to Valley Circle and then the 101.

Its run like this that I WISH Ford could have given us bigger batteries, I could not charge anymore. This morning, I had a blue GT Mustang as I got off the 118 to head to the Box Canyon exit, he did not stay long on my ass....this CMAx can corner baby!!!!!!

Heres another "short" run (greater than 25 miles) from Lindero Canyon Rd (near Kanan) and all the way to North Hollywood via the 101 and at 60-70mph. I think my engine is opening up, its just under 4000 miles at the moment:

8384367719_2cf34e23c5.jpg

Yeah, I know my braking is sucky   :doh:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

And this is a much longer run today, just over 102 miles return....from my home to Ventura and then back again. Its been nice here in Los Angeles, temps in the 65F to 75F and no Santa Anas today, just a light breeze so no advantage.

I reset my Trip 2 just before I left and you can see the temps on the gauge. Below shows the run from my home to the Telephone Rd in Ventura. 210 to 118 to Los Angeles Ave. For those not in the know, 210 and 118 are freeways and Los Angeles Ave is a single lane thru mostly farmlands with speed from 45 to 55. Mostly flat all along Los Angeles while the 118 has a couple of mountains to climb:

8407343660_49c4273172_c.jpg

Coming back, it was a little cooler. What goes down must come up:
8406250727_453a673506_c.jpg

So yeah, 47MPG Is not remotely possible per Consumer Report.... :finger: 

Not.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Thanks dtorres, whats on your odo now? I think the warmer weather really helps...also I'll throw in some hybrid drivers ed in there as well. I like the fact that 1/2 of the trip was on EV consistently there and back...schweet!!!!

PS I know that route, get off and get some food in Chinatown while you're there  ;) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Driving home from Carthage NC to Durham NC - 61.1 miles @ 54.6 mpg with 34.5 ev miles. 

72 degrees F.  No wind.   First 5 miles mostly at 45 mph.  Then about 35 miles at 55-57 mph in eco cruise and the last 20 miles mostly at 45-55 mph (cruise off).   

[For comparison - on the way to Carthage, I did 27 of the 35 miles at 70 mph (that's the speed limit for the US 1 portion of this trip) and the Durham to Carthage mpg was in the low 40's.]

I agree. Not that CA gets cold, but when it dropped to the low 40's I cranked the heat. I'll take the 3 to 4 mpg hit rather than be cold.

whimp  ;) 

Driving home from Carthage NC to Durham NC - 61.1 miles @ 54.6 mpg with 34.5 ev miles. 

72 degrees F.  No wind.   First 5 miles mostly at 45 mph.  Then about 35 miles at 55-57 mph in eco cruise and the last 20 miles mostly at 45-55 mph (cruise off).   

[For comparison - on the way to Carthage, I did 27 of the 35 miles at 70 mph (that's the speed limit for the US 1 portion of this trip) and the Durham to Carthage mpg was in the low 40's.]

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Sweet, sweet, sweet its nice to see all those EV miles. Engine is not even fully broken in yet, makes this even better. Also, imo, the 45-55 is a sweet spot for our EV and if you can go along that route as versus one that forces you to 70+mph, take that anyday. As I posted prior, sacrifice time for the mileage. Hell, if we needed fast, we all could have gotten the Focus ST instead of the CMax. 

Ok, so it's only 20 miles to work, not 25, but it's the same route every day. The only diff today was the temperature, nearly 54. Still, it was rainy/foggy, so I had the defrost on and the bun warmers on low and STILL got 51 mpg for the ride home!! Take *THAT* CR! Sorry, no pix, battery was too low on the phone.  You will just have to take my word for it.

Now, if I'm this excited at 54* temps, can you imagine how I'll be at 75!!

Ok, so it's only 20 miles to work, not 25, but it's the same route every day. The only diff today was the temperature, nearly 54. Still, it was rainy/foggy, so I had the defrost on and the bun warmers on low and STILL got 51 mpg for the ride home!! Take *THAT* CR! Sorry, no pix, battery was too low on the phone.  You will just have to take my word for it.

Now, if I'm this excited at 54* temps, can you imagine how I'll be at 75!!

I am telling people now, give it time for the engine and temps to become friendly and I swear, you'll be putting up a 600 mile tank like ptjones and I. Now that you would  :wub2: , surely! 

The more you drive, the better you get to know the road and the better technique. Now, I am just amusing myself at each traffic light to see which fool fangs there first, break hardest and wait the longest while I cruise in stealth EV and burning ZERO gas.... :happy feet:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus, I used to be *that* driver in my Jeep. My driving style has altered so radically that my husband can barely believe it. He wants a C-Max now, and I'll be curious to see if he has the same drive for MPG as he has always had for MPH :redcard:

He will, it becomes a competition and trust me when guys get into competition especially against their spouse, they will be snoooping here and everywhere to get ahead. Plus, the beauty of the CMax is that is has plenty of power so you have the choice....crap, why am I preaching to the converted  :rockon: 

Ha....you reckon he's bad, you've not met my wife who drives the Jaguar juggernaut. That car costs us $80+ per week to fill up the 22 gallon tank and goes like the clappers and she drives it like that as well. I've managed to train her to leave me alone when I drive to Mammoth, my way. I can't wait to get her a Ford Fusion hybrid as she wants a lockable trunk so the CMax is out. She loves the Lincoln MKZ which shares the FFH platform but is so much, much nicer inside. (and way, way more expensive).

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

>>>Jus- A-CMax said:  Sweet, sweet, sweet its nice to see all those EV miles. Engine is not even fully broken in yet, makes this even better. Also, imo, the 45-55 is a sweet spot for our EV and if you can go along that route as versus one that forces you to 70+mph, take that anyday. As I posted prior, sacrifice time for the mileage. Hell, if we needed fast, we all could have gotten the Focus ST instead of the CMax.>>>

It was the same route both ways.  We were on a schedule going down so I took advantage of the 70mph speed limit when I had it and tried not to pay attention to my mpg for the trip taking a dive.   On the way back we had plenty of time and there was no traffic, so we took it slower (55mph) in the 70mph area and enjoyed the 6 extra minutes of driving and much better mpg.

.... Also, imo, the 45-55 is a sweet spot for our EV and if you can go along that route as versus one that forces you to 70+mph, take that anyday. As I posted prior, sacrifice time for the mileage. ..

It was the same route both ways.  We were on a schedule going down so I took advantage of the 70mph speed limit when I had it and tried not to pay attention to my mpg for the trip taking a dive.   On the way back we had plenty of time and there was no traffic, so we took it slower (55mph) in the 70mph area and enjoyed the 6 extra minutes of driving and much better mpg.

Two points, first we all know that slowing down helps FE and any one can achieve 50+ mpg with their C-Max under the right conditions.  But on Phoenix freeways (and most interstates) you can become a hazard at 55 mph. I (and apparently most based on traffic flow) don't drive to be a hazard.

Second, slowing down on short trips adds a few minutes of time and saves $$ but on long trips it can costs $$. When I go back East, if I slowed to 55 mph, the extra night lodging / food expense cannot be recovered in reduced fuel expense.

So, ones value of time varies and FE numbers alone are not the bottom line.