Add on alternator?

LeoNicholson

Curious.

Given that many C-Max Energi and Hybrid models have depleting main batteries that can fail to charge the 12v, would it be possible to adapt an "add on" alternator to the ice engine dedicated to the 12v battery?  Obviously the weaker main battery would negate the hybrid advantages, but could the car's life be extended?

This assumes the main battery charges some during driving and remains capable of cranking the car?

Unfortunately what you are intending to do would be useless and probably difficult or impossible to do given the vehicle has been designed with no belt driven accessories in mind off the ICE.

To put it simply: The car will simply not operate without a working HVB. Even in a degraded mode, as long as it is able to supply some power and the vehicle doesn't see an issue with it otherwise (which would likely prevent the car from operating at all), all associated systems should function as well. This includes some level of EV propulsion, A/C compressor usage, resistive heating (for Energi models), and a working DC-DC converter and operation there. So if the car can run and drive, the DC-DC converter should be supplying 12V power and charging the 12V battery while the car is 'on'.

Those who claim a link between dying 12V batteries and degraded HVB's (again, if it was 'dead' they'd know it as the car wouldn't run) miss so many other potential and more likely culprits. Not one of which is simply an aging 12V battery or one not properly maintained due to people not getting the TSB's done that have been implemented over the years to cover 12V drain and charging concerns. Also not resetting the battery age in the vehicle when replacing as it WILL affect charging behavior. And lastly a low 12V battery causing phantom issues in random modules around the car as a result, and it could all tie back to the previous points.

I should note I did see the original post and comments on the FB group where this thought process originated and to be 100% frank I trust the info from a VERY small list of people over there and the other 90% or so I wouldn't trust at all. Most of the stuff posted there could really stand to have an FAQ made by someone who actually knows the vehicle and has accurate info and just spam it on every new post someone makes.

Edited by cr08