CMAX Grill Cover Testing, 2-5 MPG Gain

ptjones

Why not just use foam? It's the cheapest method, foam costs under $2 here for a package of pipe insulation. It's also very simple since all you need are scissors. And you can reuse the same foam pieces year after year so there's no on-going work or cost. If you push the foam in all the way it hides very well.

could you take some pics of this installation?  I'm having trouble picturing in my mind how you make this work?

the sheet aluminum cost me nothing,  I have a bake bender at work. so all I'd have in it is time.

We'll see how it goes...

Wonderful, there are so many things I can see myself doing and fabricating for Maxus with aluminum sheets.  But I lack the use of a good industrial grade bender.

What about the 2mpg HWY? MPG's are everything! LOL

Grill Covers are only 2 things and only take seconds to put on and off.

Paul

I don't understand...

could you take some pics of this installation?  I'm having trouble picturing in my mind how you make this work?

See this post: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/8364-stuffed-foam-in-grill-mpg-update/?p=76016

ame="ptjones" post="52198" timestamp="1416973474"]

Your comment about 2 mpg highway with foam versus your grille cover.

I don't see where foam improves aerodynamics over not. To reduce drag requires a smooth surface which the grill isn't. Grill Covers create a smooth aerodynamic surface. IMO

Paul

Ok I see what is being done here with the foam but excuse my ignorance in this mod.  How do you keep from overheating the ICE if there's no fresh air flow into the radiator.  This jus seems to be a weird way of gaining some MPG.  I jus don't understand this whole thing.  With my limited understanding it just seems Pauls tear-aways method is the best way to go.

Both Grill Covers and foam cut down air flow to radiator and ICE. This shortens the heatup time and allows the ICE to stay at operating temp +202*F and from my testing both center and lower grills blocked off all year long. Only long uphill climbs require extra cooling from removing lower cover or use heater to manage temps. I leave upper grill open All the time, but I would block that grill too in real cold areas.

Grill Covers add the improvement in MPG's from drop in aerodynamic drag.

Paul

Ok I see what is being done here with the foam but excuse my ignorance in this mod.  How do you keep from overheating the ICE if there's no fresh air flow into the radiator.  This jus seems to be a weird way of gaining some MPG.  I jus don't understand this whole thing.  With my limited understanding it just seems Pauls tear-aways method is the best way to go.

When the temp is very cold this isn't an issue. Without foam the warmest the coolant gets here in winter is about 165-170 F. With the clear plastic grille covers like Paul uses you can get to about 180 F. With foam I can get to 185-190 F. This is on the freeway with ambient temps anywhere from -10 to 15 F. Colder than -10 and the coolant doesn't get as warm, warmer than 15 and it can get slightly warmed. All these readings are also with the heat running which lowers the coolant temp. Without heat you can get the coolant temp up over 200 F at around 30 F ambient.

Edited by hybridbear

• 3 weeks later...

When the temp is very cold this isn't an issue. Without foam the warmest the coolant gets here in winter is about 165-170 F. With the clear plastic grille covers like Paul uses you can get to about 180 F. With foam I can get to 185-190 F. This is on the freeway with ambient temps anywhere from -10 to 15 F. Colder than -10 and the coolant doesn't get as warm, warmer than 15 and it can get slightly warmed. All these readings are also with the heat running which lowers the coolant temp. Without heat you can get the coolant temp up over 200 F at around 30 F ambient.

Just to clarify my numbers with LEXAN Grill Covers on on the FWY I see 215*F with temps -9*F to 20*F and will hit 230*F with few mile uphill grades with the heater on for a long time! I can adjust WT by turning Heater Fan all the way up and temp to HI if I need too. :)

Paul

I been wondering with temps in 30's-40's and the ICE intake temp is 10-15*F warmer(40's to 50's) if this is hurting my warmup time and MPG',.so I made a TOP LEXAN Grill Cover. Also put foam insulation tape on underside of hood to try to seal it better too. I saw about a 5 degree rise in ICE Intake temp, and I averaged 62.6MPG for a 13.6mi round trip to store. OT was 50*F, next I will tape up the whole front end, Lights,Fog Lights, Grill covers and hood to see if I can get a bigger differential from OT to ICE IT. :)

Top grill2

Paul
Edited by ptjones

Leave the covers off. It's not worth risking it. If you damage the engine, you are looking at a $10,000 bill from the stealershit, and warranty wont cover it. A 3 MPG difference is less than $40 over the course of the entire winter. You are looking at tens in thousands in repairs if you mess up to save about as much money as needed to feed a small family for one meal.

On the other hand, it would be nice if someone could program a hack update to run the vehicle in S3/4 at all times. Completely remove the warm-up period for the ICE. That would do a lot more.

Edited by SPL Tech

Leave the covers off. It's not worth risking it. If you damage the engine, you are looking at a $10,000 bill from the stealershit, and warranty wont cover it. A 3 MPG difference is less than $40 over the course of the entire winter. You are looking at tens in thousands in repairs if you mess up to save about as much money as needed to feed a small family for one meal.

On the other hand, it would be nice if someone could program a hack update to run the vehicle in S3/4 at all times. Completely remove the warm-up period for the ICE. That would do a lot more.

I realize you are new to this thread so I will recommend that you start from the beginning of this thread to get up to date. I have two years/ 84K mi. Testing Grill Covers with ScanGauge to monitor ICE temps. I currantly have the whole front end covered and with speeds 55mph or less, went 320mi. And highest ICE WT was 227*F /65*F OT and Averaged 67.4MPG. I'm think most people would be impressed with MPG's like that.

Paul

To reponse to the post from ptjones "Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:06 PM":

I have the similar setup for months now since last year.  Mine self-adhesive rubber/foam ($6 for about 30ft roll with thickness of about 1/4inch) is taping at bottom instead on to the hood.  I do not block the center grill, but I placed a one-piece soft-rubber where the two flimsy vinyl pieces that come with the car. My last check was it actually blocked about 72 to 76% of rain/salt+snow mixture blowing into the engine compartment.

About the rain/water+salt snow mixture blowing into the engine compartment, I posted about this many months ago.

With the CMAX front cover (where the front - grill is) is actually made of plastic, it is not easy to fully close it unlike Nissan Maxima engine compartment seals.

To reponse to the post from ptjones "Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:06 PM":

I have the similar setup for months now since last year.  Mine self-adhesive rubber/foam ($6 for about 30ft roll with thickness of about 1/4inch) is taping at bottom instead on to the hood.  I do not block the center grill, but I placed a one-piece soft-rubber where the two flimsy vinyl pieces that come with the car. My last check was it actually blocked about 72 to 76% of rain/salt+snow mixture blowing into the engine compartment.

About the rain/water+salt snow mixture blowing into the engine compartment, I posted about this many months ago.

With the CMAX front cover (where the front - grill is) is actually made of plastic, it is not easy to fully close it unlike Nissan Maxima engine compartment seals.

Could you post a picture ?

Thanks.

I dont understand why there is any need to install covers. The CMAX already has shutters which I assume stay closed until the engine reaches operating temp, no? I dont know why they would be open if the engine is not at operating temp.

The problem is the Shutters don't seal very good at all and cold air gets around the shutters too. Grill Covers block most of the air going through the grill. If you want to know the whole story on why Grill Covers start reading from the start of this thread. It will answer all your questions. We have been working on this for two years. :)

Paul

I disagree that the shutters open when the CMAX is stopped all the time. I would not consider that a fact. Five times I have stopped my CMAX, gotten out, and looked upfront and the shutters were closed. This was when it was 80 degrees out too. That said, I have never checked when the engine was at full operating temp, just within the first mile or so of driving.

Edited by SPL Tech

I disagree that the shutters open when the CMAX is stopped all the time. I would not consider that a fact. Five times I have stopped my CMAX, gotten out, and looked upfront and the shutters were closed. This was when it was 80 degrees out too. That said, I have never checked when the engine was at full operating temp, just within the first mile or so of driving.

I didn't say the Shutters weren't closed, I said when they are closed they still let a lot of air through so that is why Grill Covers work so well. It would appear you still haven't the whole thread yet. :)

Paul

I didn't say the Shutters weren't closed, I said when they are closed they still let a lot of air through so that is why Grill Covers work so well. It would appear you still haven't the whole thread yet. :)

Paul

I was not referring to your post .i was referring to the OP's post on page one. He said the shutters are open when the vehicle is stopped.

It would also be against Federal law. That warm up period is part of the EPA pollution controls.

Okay, well non-hybrids do not have warm-up periods. You start the car and drive it. So how is it any different between starting a standard car and driving it compared to programming a hybrid to do the same thing? Standard cars do not have warm-up periods. Even with no warm-up period, a hybrid still produces far less emissions overall than just about any non-hybrid car out there.

Edited by SPL Tech