MPG? No, it's your gallonage that counts

F8L

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/mileage-no-its-your-gallonage-that-really-counts

There's a sneaky illusion in mpg numbers. Consider: If your pickup rated at 10 mpg gets only 9, you shrug and say it's off only 1 mpg. But if you drive a hybrid labeled 50 mpg and it drops the same 10 percent to 45, you complain of lousy mileage.

The illusion tricks you once again when you think of mpg instead of the fuel you actually burn. Hybrids are chosen by people who think saving gas is right up there on the list of American virtues with motherhood and voting. But when the hybrid gets 45 mpg instead of the expected 50, a 100-mile trip consumes less than a quarter of a gallon more than expected. Compare that with the pickup that gets 9 mpg instead of 10; its 100-mile trip burns 1.1 extra gallons.

The loss of 10 percent on the pickup's mileage actually burns five times the extra gas used by the 10-percent shortfall in the hybrid.

If, instead of our customary miles per gallon, we rated fuel economy in gallons consumed over 100 miles of travel, as the Canadians and Europeans do (well, they calculate liters per 100 kilometers), "we wouldn't be having this discussion," German says. If we used a gallonage standard instead of a mileage standard, everyone could see that 11.111 gallons per 100 miles of the pickup is a big deal compared with the 2.222 gallons of the hybrid.

For those of you who are bummed out by lower than expected fuel economy, just run the numbers and see if it helps you feel better. :)

This effect is further hampered by our perception of diminishing returns. *

--Going from 10mpg to 20mpg saves (1,500ga - 750ga) 750ga or $2,700/yr

--Going from 20mpg to 40mpg saves (750ga - 375ga) 375ga or $1,350/yr

--Going from 40mpg to 60mpg saves (375ga - 250ga) 125ga or $450/yr

-- CMAX real average of 37mpg vs. EPA 47mpg costs (319.15ga - 405.4ga) 86.25ga or $310/yr

* Assumes a 15,000 mile annual average and fuel at $3.60/ga

Edited by F8l

Gallonage is important.  I'm also keeping an eye on what percentage of my trips is on EV miles.  Now I have a car where my driving habits can continue to reduce the amount of gas-powered miles. (Granted it all ties together in the end.)

And I like to think I'm entitled to a gallon of beer/wine at the end of the day for every gallon of gas saved along the way.

Edited by Tree63

This effect is further hampered by our perception of diminishing returns. *

--Going from 10mpg to 20mpg saves (1,500ga - 750ga) 750ga or $2,700/yr

--Going from 20mpg to 40mpg saves (750ga - 375ga) 375ga or $1,350/yr

--Going from 40mpg to 60mpg saves (375ga - 250ga) 125ga or $450/yr

-- CMAX real average of 37mpg vs. EPA 47mpg costs (319.15ga - 405.4ga) 86.25ga or $310/yr

* Assumes a 15,000 mile annual average and fuel at $3.60/ga

I am in category B with my C Max.  Never really applied gallons saved but I like the savings.