Are there any FORD dealers aware of Low MPG problems?

ptjones

I think its a severe lack of knowledge about the car breakin and also about hybrid driving ie no hooning. For example, the Galpin service manager said a lady brought in the car with less than 100 on the odometer expecting 47 MPGs right off the bat. He had no reason to lie but no doubt that lady would be on the internet searching...then it becomes a herd mentality.

So....sites like this serve an important purpose to educate and I think all up, we do a pretty good job showing that the 47MPG is not a whacky made up number from Ford, pictures and numbers don't lie. 

Also, that Venza poster has not been back - and that thread seems to be a magnet for all disgruntled CMax owners driving in the cold expecting 47MPGs because seriously, those of us blessed with the warmer weather have no problems getting real close or better and personally, if all I had to do was to drive my little 12 mile route all day, I could blow that 47 out of the water.

My current mpg on this tank is 27.5 (Ahh, I can hear the exclamations coming from most of you.) However, I make short trips, the temp is in single digits here, and I have a remote start to eat up gas and mileage these days. Why did I purchase a hybrid again as I never achieved more than a 42 mpg average with my Prius? Because the CMax appealed to me for its options, style, value, and it is a hybrid for the environmentally conscious. And overall, for me, the advertised mpg was not that important. I do agree that Ford should be made aware that their promotion of a fabulous mpg may need revision. My salesman did ask what I was getting, so at least the dealership is aware of my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my CMax yesterday and the salesman seemed unaware of the mileage issue, though I didn't dwell on the issue since I had only taken a few test rides and wanted to see what I could really get after some experience owning it.   My mileage varies from 34 mpg in freezing temps and subdivision speeds, to 44 mpg over a 10 mile stretch of 2/3 interstate at 62 mph and the rest a 45 mph highway.  

So I am not about to complain to the dealer, except to ask them why they don't seriously look into this engine temp issue.  Seems to me a fair portion of their mileage issue revolves around engine temps.  This evening on the way to the store in freezing temps, I got 34 mpg and the WT hovered at the top of the cold, which caused the ICE to come on a lot despite the battery being 90% charged.  On the way home, I took the interstate and for 5 miles it's uphill and I was going 65 anyway, so the ICE warmed up well.  When I slowed to 62 and crested the hill, the ICE shut off and I EV'd nearly all the way home...44 mpg.  

Anyway, back to your question.  I think many of the sales folks don't take many rides in these.  Most of the dealers out this way are hard pressed to even have one to show.  I had to drive 35 miles to find a dealer with one in the lot and to get my car they had to swap with a dealer west of Kansas City.  Nobody in MO had an SE with Navigation.  Lots of red basic SEs however.  

At this point FORD is doing a good job selling the CMAX for the Dealers so they don't have to know anything is what I have found. Eventually the demand will drop and dealers will have to sell CMAX's which should  be interesting, they don't even know how to drive them to get good MPG's or setup Smart Gauge and Settings.

I live in NH. I have had my 2013 C-Max since November 27, 2012, Curent milage is about 2100. I traded in a 2008 Prius (avg 44 MPG) regardless of the weather. I bought theC-Max because of the style, comforts entertainment/navigation etc... more options then the Prius. Anyway, I am averaging 32 MPG.  Yestertday I was stopped at a stop light and the MPG indicator was going in reverse. I have taken it to the dealer and they are clueless. How much longer do I have to wait to get at least 43 MPG? Was FORD a bit premature in their estimates. Many people talk high 30's and into the 40's for MPG. HOW do you do it? What is your secret? I'm about ready to file a suit or trade this C-max in!!!

I live in NH. I have had my 2013 C-Max since November 27, 2012, Curent milage is about 2100. I traded in a 2008 Prius (avg 44 MPG) regardless of the weather. I bought theC-Max because of the style, comforts entertainment/navigation etc... more options then the Prius. Anyway, I am averaging 32 MPG.  Yestertday I was stopped at a stop light and the MPG indicator was going in reverse. I have taken it to the dealer and they are clueless. How much longer do I have to wait to get at least 43 MPG? Was FORD a bit premature in their estimates. Many people talk high 30's and into the 40's for MPG. HOW do you do it? What is your secret? I'm about ready to file a suit or trade this C-max in!!!

There is a ton of info in Mileage forum and then maybe I can interest you in a Grill Cover set to increase your MPG's. :)

What make you think the dealer will tell you anything negitive.  They are out to screw you over and over.

The saleman told me that I would get 47mpg for both city and highway.  He also said they were sell for XXXX, and there was an incenitive for XXXX.  Two hours later the manager said this is the price, no incentive.  I said by by.

I figure I would get about 40,  This is true in the warm weather, getting 37mpg in the 40's and short trips.

Rfgrege, sorry you had such a lousy experience with your dealer.  Mine was much more enjoyable.  She didn't highlight the mileage, but the car.  She sat with me for quite a long time as and explained all the features.  She even synced my phone to the car as a test (before I bought).  The incentives I saw onine were those I received when I leased.  Right now I have a lifetime mpg of 41 (shown on car display): some trips are 36ish, and others are 46ish, and higher, and that's driving a little more than half freeway.

Suggest you find another dealer -- there seem to be more C-Maxes available here in CA than in other parts of the country (talk to Rachel! :)  Enjoy the hunt!

Since you are in Cali, get to Galpin! I hear nothing but good about them. :)

I googled ford dealers in my area and branched out as needed. I check their inventory online and called to double- check. We went to many dealerships. Most wouldn't budge on price or wouldn't order one. When we found one willing to do both we jumped on it. They locked in our rebates. Then we ordered. I learned lots. Dealers are not like they use to be. A buyer is a dime a dozen. They don't have to try to win you over. Either your buying or youre not.

Since you are in Cali, get to Galpin! I hear nothing but good about them. :)

I googled ford dealers in my area and branched out as needed. I check their inventory online and called to double- check. We went to many dealerships. Most wouldn't budge on price or wouldn't order one. When we found one willing to do both we jumped on it. They locked in our rebates. Then we ordered. I learned lots. Dealers are not like they use to be. A buyer is a dime a dozen. They don't have to try to win you over. Either your buying or youre not.

Not sure if that poster is SoCal or not....or even legit, we've had some weird 1 posters with such negativity...jus sayin'

As with any deals, you want to make the super deal and they want to make the money..the trick is to find honest brokers in the industry.

IMO,Galpin is exception in my experience but for every post I make, someone will make a counter claim - thats just the way the internet is and its up to the reader to decide on the merit of what the poster is sayin...and this poster is sayin Galpin RAWKS  :rockon: 

I noticed recently that my local dealer has taken all the large 47mpg stickers off the C-Max windshields that they've had on them in the past.

I wonder if that came from the top or what? I'll swing by Galpin and check if they're doing that too. Hmmh.

IMO, thats bad news for the CMax...it just adds credence to the Internet crap aka CR that this is not 40+ MPG car when clearly the actual owners here are getting the mid 40s or better. I don't think any of the new owners especially the ones who never owned a hybrid, has any idea of how badly the cold conditions can effect the MPGs. 

My dealership has been fantastic.  From the Service department to the Sales department - I have nothing to complain about.  I chose a small, family run dealership over the larger dealership in town.  Since I'm in the process of a buy back on the Escape, I am so pleased that I made the dealership decision that I did.  They are not making a penny on this sale, yet everyone - two sales people, the Sales Manager, and the Service department - have bent over backwards to help me.  I don't qualify for any incentives and discounts due to the buy back, but my Sales manager is working on making sure I get the best deal from the Ford Corp.  They've given me two options - Refund or Replacement.  They are working on the numbers to determine which is the best for me.

I've decided to try not to pay any attention to the averages as far as mpg go.  When I drive down the road to get the mail, my mpg is very low, which then factors into the lifetime average.  So even though I'm getting between 45 and 50 mpg every commute, my lifetime, and even per tank, averages are 42/43 mpg.  

I think it's a shame that Ford has lowered the mileage estimates in order to appease people who don't understand.  But I bet it will be the last time they open sales up in the winter for a hybrid.  In Florida, I'm getting GREAT mileage.  I couldn't be happier. Plus, the car is freakin' fun to drive.

Ford has not lowered the estimates. They can't. They are required by law to use the EPA tests and put the stickers on the cars.

Maybe the dealer mentioned above had extra advertisement stickers on the cars, like the ones that say "Extra Clean" and "Loaded". They maybe took those off.

But until the EPA decides if it needs to be changed, the numbers are 47/47/47 and are on the window sticker. This isn't a Ford thing.