Testing My New C-Max Hybrid

lanthony

Just purchased the first C-Max Hybrid in Arizona. Great to Drive. I traded in my 2010 Golf TDI. Much better ride and quiet. I liked my TDI Power but my C-Max so far, is great!

First MPG test came in at exactly 44.0 MPG mixed. This in Northern AZ at 4000-5000 MSL, in hills. Today I got 45.3 mixed but mostly city. Very hilly where I live. I love it.

My C-Max is loaded with every option, on top of the already SEL package. This weekend I will take a longer trip between Page, AZ and Cedar City, UT. This is in extremely hilly terrain including several elevations puching upwards of 7000 FT/MSL. I'll let you khow.

LN

Just purchased the first C-Max Hybrid in Arizona. Great to Drive. I traded in my 2010 Golf TDI. Much better ride and quiet. I liked my TDI Power but my C-Max so far, is great!

First MPG test came in at exactly 44.0 MPG mixed. This in Northern AZ at 4000-5000 MSL, in hills. Today I got 45.3 mixed but mostly city. Very hilly where I live. I love it.

My C-Max is loaded with every option, on top of the already SEL package. This weekend I will take a longer trip between Page, AZ and Cedar City, UT. This is in extremely hilly terrain including several elevations puching upwards of 7000 FT/MSL. I'll let you khow.

LN

I think you're the first one here to get a C-max :)

What color did you get? Did you order it or was it from dealer stock? Did you have to pay over MSRP or ? A lot of questions, but I'm really curious about the C-max.

Sounds like you live in a beautiful area and have a nice weekend trip planned :camera:

Just pulled in from my 394 mile trip through Nothern Arizona and Southern Utah. This included Dixie National Forest, Zion National Park and every place in between. More hills and mountains followed by more hills and mountains.

My C-Max Hybrid runs and rides beautifully. I traded in my 2010 VW Golf TDI. There is no comparison in ride, quality, quietness and on and on. I liked my TDI power and paddle shifters but I think this has more power as well! Through rough and rugged terain, even at elevation, 3000-8,500 ft/msl, she averaged 42.2 mpg. The continual veriable transmission does not lose one MPH. And no shifting. It's perfect.

The C-Max computer and the gas pump were almost exact. Within a couple of tenths. I was impressed The EV mode is impressive as well. I pulled out of my driveway in EV mode. Drove in and around the Wallmart parking lot, it stays in EV.

Down a hill will charge the battery. It then goes into EV mode, on up to about 65mpg or until you hit the next hill. EV is great. I think the C-Max Energi will be the bomb. It comes in at about $6K over mine, the normal hybrid? I bought my C-Max at Bell Ford in Phoenix. I did not want the normal dealer add ons over sticker, so I negotiated for exact sticker minus $1000.00. They gave me $18,250 for my Golf TDI. I did not want to take less than 19K, but ended up comproming. Their first offer on the TDI was 16K.

Their finance guy ended up selling me the Ford Maintenance package and replacement parts/labor coverage for 5 additional years. I wouldn't bite at first. Why did I end up doing it? He lowered his interest rate offer below my banks best offers until it came in within 200 bucks of it paying for itself. And I am with USAA Bank. So, this worked out and I think I got a great deal? Normally I would not go for all of this after the sale stuff, but this is a new vehicle and a hybrid, and the price, so away I went.

My C-Max is Platinum White, Stone Leather and loaded. There is not one option this does not have. Nav/Sony/Parks itself, etc., etc.. Not exactly what I was going for, but? I loved the vehicle and by local dealer had no clue if they would ever get one, so I bit and bought. Really liked the guys and gals at Bell Ford in Phoenix. Really professional folks.

During a couple of flat stretches, going 65-67 mph, it appeared to get over 50 MPG. I think smart driving in town and in normal highway terain, I will see 48 to 50+ MPG. We'll see!

LN

Hello, I just ordered an SEL C Max. I am glad to read a story from a real person. It was a choice between this and a Prius V - I already had 2 regular Prius's and will trade one in. I have a couple of questions. Is it true there is no spare tire and what are you supposed to do if there is a flat? The other question is the batteries. In the Prius, there is a nickle metal hydride battery that is bulletproof. I have never heard of one needing replacement other that taxis that run all day. Do you have any idea how long the Li ion batteries might last? Do you think it will be a big expense to replace? Did you compare this to the Prius V? Thanks

Reviews, including Car and Driver, whole heartedly favored the C-Max over the Prius V. The prius V has more cargo space but the C-Max has a lot too. I am a big guy and I cannot even fit into a prius other than the passenger seat. The power, quietness and comfort reside with the C-Max, no question. The C-Max is like a small luxury car. It rates way above my Golf TDI in comfort. I liked my TDI except that it was extremely noisy and I had to get down low to get in and out of it.

The C-Max has a tire repair system. Fill the flat with the goop and air and away you go? Supposedly good for nail size punctures. So it has no spare persay. I think the batteries are guanteed for eight years. Everyone seem to be going to Lithium Ion. The C-Max batteries are made by Sanyo of Japan?

Overall the C-Max in a much more substantial vehical than the Prius or Golf. Really no comparison.

Cruising around neighborhoods and side streets, fairly flat, with the cruise on 25 and 30 for most of the time, with some 10-15 MPH, the C-Max registered 52.3 MPG. Before I came back home, taking me slightly uphill, the C-Max was showing just below 60 MPG. 52.3 was the total for the entire in town trip. Not bad. If I were driving on totally flat terrain, I would bet 55+ at these speeds.

LN

Thanks for all of the info. How do you like the Ford Sync controls? I got used to the Prius and they are much simpler, but I like all of the menus you get with the Ford. Yes, I see that most new manufacturers are going with the lithium ion, I just hope they last and I hope they don't cost too much to replace when the time comes. I know the Prius battery replacement cost has lowered and they are very reliable. Overall, I like the way the Ford drives much better. It is just hard to take the leap of faith with Ford as Prius is one of the most reliable cars there is - hybrid or regular.

The interface is relatively easy and straightforward. The "Voice" to Navigation is nice. Just speak "Destination" and you receive a prompt to supply the POI or address, and away it goes. The cartography has a few issues, but it looks good. I was a Computer Cartographer for some 25 years. It is better than most I've seen. I reside in the last area within the continental US to be mapped, and most maps here are still provisional. I am sure most of the US is better than Southern Utah when it comes to this.

The C-Max is a real quality ride, much better than the VW or Prius. I think anybody that is unbiased would readily agree after driving one.

Ford is using new Lithium Ion technology that uses some 30% less precious metals in thier version of LI batteries. There is new technology out there that will replace all the precious metals I see lately (Gizmag), required in the lithium ion batteries. LI have a lot of advantages. You can go online and see for yourself. They are very lightweight for one. They recharge much faster allowing the Volt and C-Max to charge back up quickly. One small downhill with the C-Max, riding the breaks a little, will fully charge the C-Max's 1.2 KW LI battery. I am pasting in below something from "How Stuff Works," to better explain the differences.

The most obvious difference between Li-ion and NiMH batteries is the material used to store power. Lithium-ion batteries are made of carbon and highly reactive lithium, which can store a lot of energy. Nickel metal hydride batteries use hydrogen to store energy, with nickel and another metal (such as titanium) keeping a lid on the hydrogen ions.

With these different structures there are, of course, several practical differences, too:

Cost: Nickel metal hydride batteries are, right now, the less-expensive technology. As production of lithium-ion cells ramps up, though, economies of scale come into play and the cost of Li-ion cells should drop. When more vehicles require more batteries, each individual battery becomes less expensive to manufacture.

Weight: NiMH batteries are larger and heavier than Li-ion batteries. Weight matters in hybrid cars, since the battery power will have to overcome the vehicle's inertia (without any help from the gasoline engine) for maximum mileage. Lighter battery packs with higher energy density make it easier to get the car going.

Power: Li-ion and NiMH batteries can actually hold a similar amount of power, but the lithium-ion cells can be charged and discharged more rapidly. Li-ion also doesn't have as much of a "memory effect," which occurs when a battery is recharged before it is fully empty. This can diminish a battery's capacity. Lithium-ion batteries are less affected by memory effect than NiMH batteries are [source: Hitachi].

Durability: While both types of batteries are durable and both have been in use for years in various applications, this is the one area where NiMH has an advantage. Some Li-ion batteries don't last as long in extreme temperatures, particularly in very hot climates. But manufacturers are working to improve the chemistry to make the Li-ion batteries last as long as the vehicles they power.

LN

We just completed a test drive of a C-Max Hybrid SEL yesterday and were very impressed. Test route consisted of a number of roads and pavement under going construction and the ride quality was excellent with imperceptable road noise. It was raining on the test drive and the C-Max was very stable confident even during some simulated evasive manuvers I tried.

We are considering trading our 2010 Jetta TDI for the C-Max and were impressed with the mpg we returned during our test (42mpg). Adverse road conditions (construction) with A/C going in the rain. Very interested in how you think the C-Max handles compared to the Golf. I really couldn't push it much in the rain, will take another test drive in the dry.

Edited by darrelld

The C-Max has a tire repair system. Fill the flat with the goop and air and away you go? Supposedly good for nail size punctures. So it has no spare persay.

So, is there an empty space for a spare?

Or if I bought a spare tire, would it have to be put in the cargo area?

I've had 4 flats between my past 2 cars (17 years), and wouldn't even conside a car that didn't at least have a temp spare. 3 of the flats happened at inconvenent times and I would have missed important events if I had to wait for a tow to a tire shop. Even a can of flat fix wouldn't have worked on 2 of these times as there was sidewall damage.

I found out it takes 5W20 synthetic oil. I sat in an SEL with a 303 package. Very nice. I like the ambient lighting and the fully adjustable steering wheel. If you put a spare in the cargo area, you would not have much room to put other stuff. It will hold a tire but make it inconvenient to store anything else. It would look ugly also.

Just pulled in from my 394 mile trip through Nothern Arizona and Southern Utah. This included Dixie National Forest, Zion National Park and every place in between. More hills and mountains followed by more hills and mountains.

My C-Max Hybrid runs and rides beautifully. I traded in my 2010 VW Golf TDI. There is no comparison in ride, quality, quietness and on and on. I liked my TDI power and paddle shifters but I think this has more power as well! Through rough and rugged terain, even at elevation, 3000-8,500 ft/msl, she averaged 42.2 mpg. The continual veriable transmission does not lose one MPH. And no shifting. It's perfect.

The C-Max computer and the gas pump were almost exact. Within a couple of tenths. I was impressed The EV mode is impressive as well. I pulled out of my driveway in EV mode. Drove in and around the Wallmart parking lot, it stays in EV.

Down a hill will charge the battery. It then goes into EV mode, on up to about 65mpg or until you hit the next hill. EV is great. I think the C-Max Energi will be the bomb. It comes in at about $6K over mine, the normal hybrid? I bought my C-Max at Bell Ford in Phoenix. I did not want the normal dealer add ons over sticker, so I negotiated for exact sticker minus $1000.00. They gave me $18,250 for my Golf TDI. I did not want to take less than 19K, but ended up comproming. Their first offer on the TDI was 16K.

Their finance guy ended up selling me the Ford Maintenance package and replacement parts/labor coverage for 5 additional years. I wouldn't bite at first. Why did I end up doing it? He lowered his interest rate offer below my banks best offers until it came in within 200 bucks of it paying for itself. And I am with USAA Bank. So, this worked out and I think I got a great deal? Normally I would not go for all of this after the sale stuff, but this is a new vehicle and a hybrid, and the price, so away I went.

My C-Max is Platinum White, Stone Leather and loaded. There is not one option this does not have. Nav/Sony/Parks itself, etc., etc.. Not exactly what I was going for, but? I loved the vehicle and by local dealer had no clue if they would ever get one, so I bit and bought. Really liked the guys and gals at Bell Ford in Phoenix. Really professional folks.

During a couple of flat stretches, going 65-67 mph, it appeared to get over 50 MPG. I think smart driving in town and in normal highway terain, I will see 48 to 50+ MPG. We'll see!

LN

Thanks for the detailed reports ! I haven't test driven one yet, so I appreciate the info from owners.

Thanks again. Does this car take synthetic oil and what is the viscosity of the oil? I am stocking up on synthetic oil on sale and want to get some. Did they give you break in instructions, or do you even have to worry about that? It is hard to find info out there. Thanks

The owners manual is online, this is what I cut and pasted out of it. It uses synthetic blend as standard or optionally you can use full synthetic. Synthetic blend is a lot less expensive.

Engine oil 4.5 quarts (4.3L)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20

Premium Synthetic Blend

Motor Oil (US)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20

Full Synthetic Motor Oil

(US)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20

Super Premium Motor Oil

(Canada)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20

Synthetic Motor Oil

(Canada)

The owners manual is online, this is what I cut and pasted out of it. It uses synthetic blend as standard or optionally you can use full synthetic. Synthetic blend is a lot less expensive.

Where is the manual at online? Everytime I look at owner.ford.com I receive this message: We are temporarily unable to provide the Owner Guide for this vehicle. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again late

Spare tires are quickly becoming a thing of the past ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlZ088wd7h8&feature=colike

With the 110V outlet in the C-Max, you can keep a small air compressor in the car and pump up a low or flat tire.

For a lot of people, changing a flat tire is not a good option, either the tire is too heavy, you're dressed too nicely, you're too close to moving traffic.

Being able to pump up a low tire and then driving to a safer location is sometimes a better option.

With the 110V outlet in the C-Max, you can keep a small air compressor in the car and pump up a low or flat tire.

For a lot of people, changing a flat tire is not a good option, either the tire is too heavy, you're dressed too nicely, you're too close to moving traffic.

Being able to pump up a low tire and then driving to a safer location is sometimes a better option.

The C-Max comes with a tire repair kit that includes a compressor and the goop to plug a hole. No, it won't repair a tire with side-wall damage or a complete blow-out. It somewhat bothered me that the C-Max didn't have a spare, but we bought anyway. Living in California, fuel economy trumps risk mitigation. Cell phones and iPads can compensate for delays caused by any flat tire we may encounter.

The C-Max comes with a tire repair kit that includes a compressor and the goop to plug a hole. No, it won't repair a tire with side-wall damage or a complete blow-out. It somewhat bothered me that the C-Max didn't have a spare, but we bought anyway. Living in California, fuel economy trumps risk mitigation. Cell phones and iPads can compensate for delays caused by any flat tire we may encounter.

Thats good to know an air compressor is included in the tire repair kit. Where is it stored?