Seriously, WELCOME!!

Adair

HI All.

Getting a 2013 White SEL in about week. 20K miles with the 301A package.

Any tips for winter driving, snow tires? engine heater? it will sit outside, and it does get really cold here in WNY. I do have a good DelTran battery tender/charger i use for my other vehicles when not in use (2003 mustang and 2004 F150) BOTH with original batteries! 

Driving about 30-40 miles a day, this should save some gas. 

Thanks all! Cant' wait.

...Any tips for winter driving, snow tires? engine heater? it will sit outside, and it does get really cold here in WNY...

The Deltran might come in handy if you had an SE with the 12v battery problem, but barring that... Remember, the starter's also an 88KW generator, and there's a 330V 1.5KWh battery in back. The 12v battery just activates electronics...

I love this car in winter, mainly for the visibility. The combination of high seating position and short nose mean very little light scattered back toward the driver in a snowstorm. I can't speak to the OEM tire's in snow as I run Michelin X-Ice in 215/60-16 size on Ford Steel wheels. You will not find the car at home on unplowed roads, and it's no 4x4 when it comes to a slick hill (Cuba's not exactly flat).

Your winter mileage will suck because it's cold and the engine wants to be warm, even if you're made of hardier stock (I'm not). That's when a block heater is worth it's weight, but not for what Ford wants to retrofit one. I'm still considering a coolant hose-based retrofit, and one member's done quite a bit (pjones) on heat and temperature of various components. Do a search.

Which will also find his work on brill blocks, and their effect on engine/tranny temp...

Let me close by linking to a reply I just posted that gets into the hybrid operational side... lots of things to learn here if you're interested!

Have fun,

Frank

Thanks fbov (Frank) for the info and link! 

Def. Be a learning curve at first, but reading all i can so I understand the car and how it works/learns. I did see pjones mods.

Actually not too hilly from the house and getting on the hiway (I-86). a few gradual hills.

I'll prolly get some steel wheels and snows for the winter. If it's bad enough, We still the Escape or my F150.

:)

Edited by WNY

• 3 months later...

Yay! Finally got a hybrid! Mine is a 2015 C-Max hybrid SEL in ingot silver, equipment group 300a and moon roof. Love it! Just drove it off the lot today so still getting used to where everything is and how to operate it, but loving the big, open feel, zippy drive and lots of thoughtful details - in addition to the eco friendly fuel efficiency.

Debated between the C Max and the Fusion hybrids, also between hybrid and Energi models, but am very happy to have landed with mine. Haven't seen any others on the road in central NC yet, although I see a lot of Fusions (hybrid and conventional).

• 3 weeks later...

Yay! Finally got a hybrid! Mine is a 2015 C-Max hybrid SEL in ingot silver, equipment group 300a and moon roof. Love it! Just drove it off the lot today so still getting used to where everything is and how to operate it, but loving the big, open feel, zippy drive and lots of thoughtful details - in addition to the eco friendly fuel efficiency.

Debated between the C Max and the Fusion hybrids, also between hybrid and Energi models, but am very happy to have landed with mine. Haven't seen any others on the road in central NC yet, although I see a lot of Fusions (hybrid and conventional).

Picked up my used one on the same day as you! It's a 2013 SEL (red).  First time I owned a car with the keyless fob - first thing I did was plunk myself down in the seat and punch the start button.  The lights came on but no movement when I put it into reverse! How embarrassing!  The dealer had to come over and tell me to push the start button off again, then on again WHILE stepping on the brake.  Important that....  One thing for sure, it really has changed the way I drive.  Much more calmly and that is a good thing. 

Picked up my used one on the same day as you! It's a 2013 SEL (red).  First time I owned a car with the keyless fob - first thing I did was plunk myself down in the seat and punch the start button.  The lights came on but no movement when I put it into reverse! How embarrassing!  The dealer had to come over and tell me to push the start button off again, then on again WHILE stepping on the brake.  Important that....  One thing for sure, it really has changed the way I drive.  Much more calmly and that is a good thing. 

One note for new owners. If you press the button without stepping on the brake, the accessory mode will come on, but there is no "go" icon (a small car with arrows below it, on the lower right of the display). You do NOT have to turn the car off to get it into GO mode - just step on the brake and then hit the start button again.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Love my 2013 max hybrid but having radio/audio/battery problems at 43,000 miles  CD would not eject or turn off, continued to play even when car turned off, door opened and shut, car restarted, turned off and door opened and shut.  Dealer tries resyncing, did not work.  Couldn't get in to service dept for a few days, in the mean time car ran completely out of battery had to be towed to dealer.  At service dept today, apparently problem resolved when car battery re-charged.  Very very very odd. Will watch to see what happens.  I drove home with audio off.  Restarted car so I could sync my smartphone.  When I turned car on, the radio came on, even though I had not turned it on.  Not a good sign.  I'll keep you posted.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,  I currently drive a prius, and after test driving a c max, I decided I want one.  My favorite cars that I owned have all been Saabs.  I am a big fan of European cars, and when I drove the c max, it made sense to me that is was originally designed in Germany.  

I have heard rumors that the c max will be discontinued, but it seems like Ford is not making any official statements yet.  I even e mailed the corporate office to ask them if they would be bringing the refreshed European C max "facelift" here to the US.  This was their response:

Thank you for taking one of our C-MAX vehicles out for a drive. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed what it has to offer. At this time, we have no confirmed information about whether we will be changing the style to the body, however; we have documented your interest in the European model for future consideration. Thank you for your feedback. We invite you to stay up to date with our current and future vehicles by visiting http://media.ford.com

If you have any further questions about our current vehicle line up, our Marketing Program Headquarters is here to help.  You can send us a reply to this e-mail or give us a call. Our number is 1-800-334-4375 and we are available Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. ET. When you call, we can also quote current incentives, send out a brochure and schedule a demonstration drive at a time and dealership of your choice. 

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

Amy 
Marketing Program Headquarters
Ford Motor Company

The reality is that I do not "need" another car now.  I have a 2010 with 30,000 miles.  The C Max was not in the US when i bought my car.  I'm wondering if it would be a wise idea to buy a car that may be discontinued?  I would assume there will be parts for them for quite a while.  

Any thoughts out there?

It is hard to figure why  Car Companies make the decisions they do, but in FORD's case they don't have a vehicle that can take the CMAX's place.  The Focus is to small and doesn't have the truck space. The Escape is a small SUV and doesn't get the MPG's. They would have to come out with a Hybrid Escape. IMO :)  It looks like there will be a 2017 CMAX before they move the factory. Having driven 2011 and 2016 Prius the CMAX is so much more fun to drive. :) 

Paul 

Finally ready to pull the trigger on a new 2015 SE in Magnetic. Wife and I test drove it over the weekend and she was impressed on how nice the interior was...expecially the heated seats. Since this thing has been sitting on the lot for almost two years, is there anything that might be wrong with it? It's new but has 130 miles on it...seems weird that it hasn't sold.

Finally ready to pull the trigger on a new 2015 SE in Magnetic. Wife and I test drove it over the weekend and she was impressed on how nice the interior was...expecially the heated seats. Since this thing has been sitting on the lot for almost two years, is there anything that might be wrong with it? It's new but has 130 miles on it...seems weird that it hasn't sold.

The 12v battery may not last so long. Dealers tend to let them run down and have to jump them. When I bought my Energi in 2014, I started out looking at hybrids. The dealer had 40 or so on the lot. We tried about 8 of them - all dead batteries. Finally charged one up with a cart so I could drive it. I ended up leasing an Energi from their "main" lot, which fired up and drove first time.

Be sure and negotiate a good deal - that car is not the current year and they should be dealing.