Spare Tire

sdaustin6483

Have one like that for my goldwing, only difference is there a couple of larger compressed air cannisters with it that will get some pressure in the tire and lessen the load on the built in air compressor on the bike, have the larger version of it in the storage compartment in front of the second row seats

Since the C-Max already has a air compressor in the TMK I went "cheap" with just a plug kit just to get the plugs and tools.  Between the TMK, the tire plug kit, and a couple of BIG cans of "Fix-A-Flat" anything that can be fixed on the roadside should be "do able" with those tools.  If not it's cell phone time....

Note:  For those of you considering adding a Tire Plug kit to your TMK  the "string style" plugs dry out and the adhesive won't hold after a few years.  I advise checking it annually as you have no way of knowing how long it sat before you bought it.  I replace, or add new plugs, to the kit in my Harley every two years due to the heat around here... 

This past Wednesday night, the wife had a flat in town.  Turns out it was a sidewall puncture.  I didn't find it until I put the can of fix a flat in it and it wouldn't hold air.  She called the Ford roadside assistance, and when she told them she thought it was vandalism, they stated they would only respond to road hazard damaged tires.  I used the plug kit I keep in my truck to plug the 3/8 inch slit in the driver rear tire, and fortunately it held enough air to limp the few miles home and later to the tire shop.

Today (Friday), I'm good to go, but $246 poorer after replacing a tire with 4,100 miles on it.  

Ford said they would send a tow, but I would owe $135 for the service.  I can understand their policy and don't have a problem with it, but that's not what you want to hear in the middle of the night broke down in a not so good neighborhood.  Thankfully I had other options (plugging and private insurance).

Thank God the sidewall plug worked in this case.  We had to put about 10 miles on it, but we never had to add air.  I only put enough air in it to limp around.  I didn't want to put 30+ in it only to push the plug out.  

Of all the 100s of thousands (probably over 1 million) of miles in my family's driving, I've never had a sidewall puncture before.  Just my luck to happen to the new car with the most expensive tires.

I'm buying a donut spare to keep at the house.  I think I'll take my chances on the road with the factory setup.

I'm putting a plug kit in the C-Max.

Yeah, that is the weakness of relying on any roadside assistance - you put yourself at the mercy of their schedule and policies.  Having a spare or at least the kit to plug the tire at least gives you options when you need them.  I had a problem where the dealer wanted to tow the vehicle in, and they told me it would be over 2 hours, so I just took care of the problem myself.

A couple questions though - a 3/8" slit seems too big for the plug kit I have, can you post any info on the one you used?  Also, did you have to replace the TPMS after using the mobility kit?

• 3 weeks later...
But they were made standard equipment before cell phones, complimentary roadside assistance, TPMS, small 12v air pumps, and much much advanced tire technology.

For most people in 2013, a spare is simply not necessary.

I had sad confirmation that SPARE TIRE is a MUST. Just yesterday, I  hit something failed from the truck on the freeway. Tire almost cut in half and wheel need replacement as well.

Even if it was in 1 mile from dealers service, I lost 1.5 hours on towing and then must wait almost 2 days when they have a tire and a wheel. With spare, I would lost 15 minutes today (to replace the tire) and then call dealers, wait when order shipped, and then replace the tire - a huge difference. But what is more important, what happens if we had the same blow-out during the mountain trip (which is very possible)? No cell coverage, so instead of _replace the tire and continue_ you lost 1/2 day in going to the c4ell covered area, calling fro the service, waiting, dealing with closed services and so on...

Actually, 2 big problems with CMAX (biggest for me) are - no spare, and no chains. It prevents us from using CMAX for long multi-day trips (especially in winter).

PS. I had 4 flat tires cases during my 500K miles driving. 2 was not repairable by any kits. 

Edited by stranger267

PS. I had 4 flat tires cases during my 500K miles driving. 2 was not repairable by any kits. 

Is that 4 times you had to put spare on?  I've had many, many times where I've caught nails / screws in tires prior to TPMS where I was able to repair the tire prior to a flat but only remember 2 times where I had to change tire on the side of road in 50 years of driving - about 1.5 million miles. One was a sidewall puncture with my 1979 Accord  when I hit a large pothole on a rainy night.

Yesterday, at about 2300 miles wife leaves, 5 minutes later returns and says TPMS light on.  I look at tires and can see FR appears to be low.  Check tire (about 32 psi) and after moving forward once find screw in tread with head almost wore off.  Get pliers, twist, pull screw out and replace with larger screw with head.  Put air in tire, drive 7 miles to a tire shop, they patch on inside for $10, and I'm on my way in about 15 minutes.  I think Discount Tire still repairs any flat free but it was about 5 more miles and likely would have waited an hour+ for free repair. Since TPMS on 3 vehicles in the last 4 years, I've had 4 other screws in tires in about 100k+ miles - all driven to shops for repair.

So, I don't feel the need for a spare especially since the advent of TPMS, the tire kit in the car, and the likelihood of a blowout while driving being very low.  Since retiring 10 years ago and moving to AZ over 6 years ago, I've driven many, many cross country trips where cell phone service is spotty but again don't feel a compelling need for a spare.

For most people in 2013, a spare is simply not necessary.

ONLY for CITY and METRO AREA dwellers. Spare tire is absolutely a must for any long trip, any mountain winter trip, any desert or back-country trip. Even in California, if you drive more then 200 miles aside of SFBA or LAX areas, you MUST have a tire. Else simple 'hit a rock on the road' incident became a real challenge. How long it takes to wait for the tow, then tow to the ford, then replace broken tire, if it happens for example in Lassen NP Butt lake area? Answer is 'you will spend the whole day on it'. How long it takes to do it if it happens in winter in the mountains? You can froze to the death and never got a help. So 'no spare' suitable only for small 'city only' cars like SMART or for the drivers who drive 99% inside the metro areas.

Regarding CMAX, they could do something - for example, offer optional spare with some way to fix it (even outside, as on old SUV-s) - this way people could got it when they need it on the long trip, but do not sacrifice the space and weights inside the metro areas.

Is that 4 times you had to put spare on?

Not all 4. 2 was just nails or similar. 2 other was

- one - tire side was damaged by the curb, fortunately it was 100 foots from tire shop so they replaced it in a blink;

- two - hit the failed object on the road, tire cut in two together with the wheel which was damaged.

One more, not so bad fortunately because Subaru-s tire survived - big rock on the road, it cost me only slightly damaged wheel but tire was intact. If it was CMAX wheel (with low profile tires) would not survive.

So, I agree, no need for spare in metro areas if road assistance trucks have spare wheel; but as they do not have such wheel, any simple tire incident can cost you 1 - 2 days without the car. So if Ford actually want to replace spare tires by road assistance service, first thing they should do is to make sure that tow trucks can bring new tire to the site and replace it instead of towing you to the (closed as it is 10 pm for example) FORD dealership.

For back-country, spare is absolutely necessity.

I had sad confirmation that SPARE TIRE is a MUST. Just yesterday, I  hit something failed from the truck on the freeway. Tire almost cut in half and wheel need replacement as well.

Even if it was in 1 mile from dealers service, I lost 1.5 hours on towing and then must wait almost 2 days when they have a tire and a wheel. With spare, I would lost 15 minutes today (to replace the tire) and then call dealers, wait when order shipped, and then replace the tire - a huge difference. But what is more important, what happens if we had the same blow-out during the mountain trip (which is very possible)? No cell coverage, so instead of _replace the tire and continue_ you lost 1/2 day in going to the c4ell covered area, calling fro the service, waiting, dealing with closed services and so on...

Actually, 2 big problems with CMAX (biggest for me) are - no spare, and no chains. It prevents us from using CMAX for long multi-day trips (especially in winter).

I don't understand your comment regarding chains.  Some members here have put chains on: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/805-let-is-snow-let-it-snow-let-it-snowcmax-at-mammoth-lakes-ca/

Also, I understand the gripe about no spare tire, but I don't understand what ford is supposed to do about it.  Where are they supposed to put a spare?

Yes, traction devices are NO PROBLEM.  Just not traditional link chains.  Same is true for most newer passenger cars.

However with regard to a spare, Ford should offer a temporary compact spare with jack/wrench and a tie down system as a dealer option.  Let the owner decide when to sacrifice luggage space for security on trips through remote areas.

Yes, traction devices are NO PROBLEM.  Just not traditional link chains.  Same is true for most newer passenger cars.

However with regard to a spare, Ford should offer a temporary compact spare with jack/wrench and a tie down system as a dealer option.  Let the owner decide when to sacrifice luggage space for security on trips through remote areas.

Regarding chains - I don't know, cable chains can work but they are very unreliable themselves. Chains are not big headache, there are few replacements available.

Tires are another story. I can accept an idea of not having spare in the car, but only if 2 other conditions satisfied:

- road assistance service has spare tires and can bring them to the road, instead of towing the car to the (most likely closed for weekend or long holiday) ford dealership.

- we can purchase optional spare (maybe smaller size) and a way to fix it (even if it uses some space), so that we at last are not doomed in the long trip.

Problem is that Ford sacrificed spare and did not offer any of these 2 things.

I plan to buy a used Ford compact spare with correct 5-bolt pattern from eBay or a salvage yard, plus a small jack.  I will carry it only when planning to drive in remote areas.  I will secure it with a ratcheting strap.

I did the same with our other car which also does not come with a spare (Mini Countryman).

• 3 weeks later...

I complained to my worrywart husband about the full-size spare he purchased ($$$) and keeps in the back.  Recently on trip without him up to visit ranch outside of Clovis (near Fresno).  When leaving the ranch in the morning, I heard a funny noise and thought mud was stuck on the tire.  I didn't notice the little light on the dash notifying me that pressure was gone in one tire.  Luckily I only went a couple houses down the street and stopped to find a flat.  Changed it in a few minutes and then went right to town and had tire replaced (there was a metal shard on the shoulder so tire was ruined).  Back in business post-haste.

I'm eating my crow now.  He was right.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to this site and appreciate the convesation going on here.  We purchased a C-Max a month ago. While at the dealer I was looking under the car and asked the salesman where the spare tire was hidden.  He said there wasn't one.  I was a bit concerned, as some of the other folks have mentioned, for when we would be on long trips.  He said it comes with roadside assistance and isn't a problem, they are suppose to respond within 90 minutes.  Personally this was a deal breaker, but my wife really liked the car so we took the chance.  Like some of the others that have responded, we have had few blowouts.

Well.... one day before we had the car one full month we had gone out to eat, came out of the restaurant and noticed one of the tires was flat.  I could see the big screw that was the culprit. So we thought we will try out this roadside assistance.  Gave them a call, they had really good followup and in a little over 90 minutes a tow truck showed up.  Well... come to find out, in order for the warranty to be valid, they had to tow the car to the dealer to get it fixed. Problem was it was 6:00 pm on a Saturday evening. The dealer's service department closed at 5:00 pm.  The driver was kind enough to drop us off at the top of the neighborhood, but he said that rightfully he was not supposed to do that, otherwise we would have had to figure out how to get home.  Long story short, We were out a car until Monday at 6:00pm, just because we had a flat tire.

Soooooo... Now I'm trying to figure out how to remedy this, particulary if we are going on a long trip.  I'm not as optimistic anymore as some of the other folks here.

I've been a Ford person all my life and will continue to be, but not having a spare is not one of their better ideas.

I appreciate all the input on this sight, and will be trying to figure the best way to have a spare and not use up to much of the valuable space in the back for the long trips.  Thanks everyone!!!

I'm new to this site and appreciate the convesation going on here.  We purchased a C-Max a month ago. While at the dealer I was looking under the car and asked the salesman where the spare tire was hidden.  He said there wasn't one.  I was a bit concerned, as some of the other folks have mentioned, for when we would be on long trips.  He said it comes with roadside assistance and isn't a problem, they are suppose to respond within 90 minutes.  Personally this was a deal breaker, but my wife really liked the car so we took the chance.  Like some of the others that have responded, we have had few blowouts.

Well.... one day before we had the car one full month we had gone out to eat, came out of the restaurant and noticed one of the tires was flat.  I could see the big screw that was the culprit. So we thought we will try out this roadside assistance.  Gave them a call, they had really good followup and in a little over 90 minutes a tow truck showed up.  Well... come to find out, in order for the warranty to be valid, they had to tow the car to the dealer to get it fixed. Problem was it was 6:00 pm on a Saturday evening. The dealer's service department closed at 5:00 pm.  The driver was kind enough to drop us off at the top of the neighborhood, but he said that rightfully he was not supposed to do that, otherwise we would have had to figure out how to get home.  Long story short, We were out a car until Monday at 6:00pm, just because we had a flat tire.

Soooooo... Now I'm trying to figure out how to remedy this, particulary if we are going on a long trip.  I'm not as optimistic anymore as some of the other folks here.

I've been a Ford person all my life and will continue to be, but not having a spare is not one of their better ideas.

I appreciate all the input on this sight, and will be trying to figure the best way to have a spare and not use up to much of the valuable space in the back for the long trips.  Thanks everyone!!!

I can appreciate your feelings, but I have to ask this question again..."Where are they supposed to put the spare?"

Your question is a valid question.  With the current design I don't see where they could put the spare, but they have world class engineers so I think they could figure something out.  They could design the next version to have a "taller" profile so they can get the battery and spare in the back.  It doesn't have to be much space, 6" depth is about all they need for those thin spares they had in the Taurus.  But that is the future adn doesn't help us now.  Give someone some time and they will gigure something out I have no doubt.  I don't regret the purchase at all, just trying to minimize future inconveniences.

I can`t understand why they could`nt have incorporated a exterior emergency spare tire to go under the rear of the Vehicle like the Explorer had?  A small "Donut" would`nt have taken up that much room and are fairly thin.  The Jack and Tool KIt could have been stashed in a compartment alongside the Rear Storage area or under the seat or floor, either front or back of Vehicle.  It was a Cost savings, IMO.  Weight and Fuel Economy were secondary.

Your question is a valid question.  With the current design I don't see where they could put the spare, but they have world class engineers so I think they could figure something out.  They could design the next version to have a "taller" profile so they can get the battery and spare in the back.  It doesn't have to be much space, 6" depth is about all they need for those thin spares they had in the Taurus.  But that is the future adn doesn't help us now.  Give someone some time and they will gigure something out I have no doubt.  I don't regret the purchase at all, just trying to minimize future inconveniences.

I have to agree, there should be spare and they should have found a means and a way.

Subaru use to put them in the engine compartment above the engine on some models, maybe they still do.

Guess with all the other problems they figure a spare is the least of our worries, did I just say that!

Seems like the pump and sealer under the passenger seat should have fixed this type of leak.

Well.... one day before we had the car one full month we had gone out to eat, came out of the restaurant and noticed one of the tires was flat.  I could see the big screw that was the culprit.

Seems like the pump and sealer under the passenger seat should have fixed this type of leak.

Probably would have done a temporary emergency fix that would have fouled and required the replacement of the TPMS Sensor and the Tire would still need to be properly repaired (if possible) later at a Shop.  My 2013 Kia Rio5 came with the Toy Air Compressor and $5 Can of Tire Sealant Goo located in styrofoam box fastened into the Spare Tire well in the Trunk.  I through everything out and got a Brand New Emergency Mini- Spare Tire and Jack Assembly w/Tool from a Salvage Yard wreck for under $100.  Problem solved!

I can appreciate your feelings, but I have to ask this question again..."Where are they supposed to put the spare?"

They could put it on the floor of the cargo compartment.

Or, they could mount it vertically to the side of the cargo compartment, like my old Jeep Cherokee did.

Or, they could offer an optional outside swing-away tire carrier, like the Cherokee also did.

Thinking back on my own history of flat tires, I've had one flat tire in the city in my 30 years of driving.  But I get one about every other year when I'm on the road - on a back road in Colorado, on a dirt road in New Mexico, by the sand dunes in the middle of Wyoming.  Those places don't have cell service, and tow trucks often won't leave paved roads or charge extra if they do, and then it takes many hours.

I can understand making a spare tire optional, since probably a majority of people mostly drive in major cities and the major highways between major cities.  But they should make a provision for a spare as an extra cost option for those who go off the beaten path.  Not a can of fix-a-flat, not a donut spare, but a real, full-size, full-speed spare wheel and tire.

They could put it on the floor of the cargo compartment.

Or, they could mount it vertically to the side of the cargo compartment, like my old Jeep Cherokee did.

Or, they could offer an optional outside swing-away tire carrier, like the Cherokee also did.

Thinking back on my own history of flat tires, I've had one flat tire in the city in my 30 years of driving.  But I get one about every other year when I'm on the road - on a back road in Colorado, on a dirt road in New Mexico, by the sand dunes in the middle of Wyoming.  Those places don't have cell service, and tow trucks often won't leave paved roads or charge extra if they do, and then it takes many hours.

I can understand making a spare tire optional, since probably a majority of people mostly drive in major cities and the major highways between major cities.  But they should make a provision for a spare as an extra cost option for those who go off the beaten path.  Not a can of fix-a-flat, not a donut spare, but a real, full-size, full-speed spare wheel and tire.

The one place that I would never put either a Full Size Spare Tire or a Mini- Emergency (Donut) Spare Tire is mounted to the (exterior) Rear Hatch Door like older Kia Sportages, Toyota Rave 4, and Honda CRV`s had.  Anyone who has owned a Car with that horrible failed design eventually has paid a small fortune, sometimes several times to repair damage cause by it coming into contact with something.

• 1 month later...

I just had my first flat tire today with 1500 miles on my car. Road construction, raised manhole covers do wonders to your side walls. So $225 lighter for a new tire and 3 hrs lost to towing just because I didn't have a spare. I also haven't had a flat tire that I needed a spare in almost 10 years, I know I've had to change one just can't remember it has been that long.

I called Ford roadside assistance, I was told 75 mins until a truck arrived. This happened only 10 miles north of Boston. So I called AAA and 30 mins later they arrived. NTB National Tire and Battery had the OEM tire in stock. So it cost me an extra $20 to be towed 10 miles instead of free and I had the tire replaced on a Sunday.

Oh well... so far, all the money I saved in gas just went to a new tire...

I still love the car though.