Used v. New

rflynn1

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 2013 C-Max SEL with the 302A package, and I am hoping some of the posters on this excellent forum could share their thoughts with us to help decide between a new or a used car. A local used-car dealer has one in that configuration with 14K miles; it appears to be in excellent condition and has a sticker of 23k (I'm assuming that we can negotiate them down a bit, so let's say 22.5K). I have checked the VIN, and that car has a build date of November 2012. Alternatively, we have an internet quote from a Ford dealer for a new C-Max SEL with the 302A package for 27K. 

My initial inclination is to buy the second-hand car. It is quite a bit cheaper, and we would avoid the big, first-year depreciation hit. OTOH, I am concerned about buying a C-Max with a build date of 11/12 owing to the problems people have experienced with MYFT and the 12 v battery and the possibility that we might be buying a problem car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but I am especially interested to get a sense of whether or not the 12 v and MYFT problems have been resolved. 

Thanks.

Since we got rid of our early build FFH because of the issues it had and now it's on a dealer lot as a used car, I would stay away from the used C-Max. What does the dealer say when you ask about the history of it?

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 2013 C-Max SEL with the 302A package, and I am hoping some of the posters on this excellent forum could share their thoughts with us to help decide between a new or a used car. A local used-car dealer has one in that configuration with 14K miles; it appears to be in excellent condition and has a sticker of 23k (I'm assuming that we can negotiate them down a bit, so let's say 22.5K). I have checked the VIN, and that car has a build date of November 2012. Alternatively, we have an internet quote from a Ford dealer for a new C-Max SEL with the 302A package for 27K. 

My initial inclination is to buy the second-hand car. It is quite a bit cheaper, and we would avoid the big, first-year depreciation hit. OTOH, I am concerned about buying a C-Max with a build date of 11/12 owing to the problems people have experienced with MYFT and the 12 v battery and the possibility that we might be buying a problem car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but I am especially interested to get a sense of whether or not the 12 v and MYFT problems have been resolved. 

Thanks.

Why do people part with cars after just one year? Was there a problem with it or was it just not a good fit. My brother had an Audi that was outstanding, but just too small for him and it was harming his knees. How can you tell why for a car on a used lot?

Having said that, a car made in that timeframe might be ok because they were selling as fast as the dealers could get them in at that time and the battery likely didnt have a chance to go stale. The battery issue has several components that should have been fixed by now. The one remainint issue is how long the car sat on the lot before sale. The cars that sat on the lot had their batteries drain to the point of damage and the batteries really needed to be replaced. Maybe you just need to get them to put a new battery in the car if you buy it and then take it straight to Ford to make sure it has the latest software updates.

Read, read, read this forum.  I spent a bit of time before buying ours (maybe an hour or so), but may have gone the 'all gas' Focus route after seeing the posts about battery reliability issues (dead C-Max in our garage as I write this).  We have loved the car since we bought it, but reliability is of utmost importance to us and I'm not happy at this moment - hoping some vodka, ginger ale and Olympics TV coverage will help that a bit, eh?  ;)

Buy new or at least get a great warranty with your used C-Max...

SW

Since we got rid of our early build FFH because of the issues it had and now it's on a dealer lot as a used car, I would stay away from the used C-Max. What does the dealer say when you ask about the history of it?

We have not yet spoken to anyone at the dealer selling the used car, and, owing to the snowstorm we have had the past few days, we probably won't get a chance to take a look at it for a few more days.

Read, read, read this forum.  I spent a bit of time before buying ours (maybe an hour or so), but may have gone the 'all gas' Focus route after seeing the posts about battery reliability issues (dead C-Max in our garage as I write this).  We have loved the car since we bought it, but reliability is of utmost importance to us and I'm not happy at this moment - hoping some vodka, ginger ale and Olympics TV coverage will help that a bit, eh?  ;)

Buy new or at least get a great warranty with your used C-Max...

SW

I'm sorry to hear that you are having battery issues. Do you know what the build date was for your car?

Why do people part with cars after just one year? Was there a problem with it or was it just not a good fit. My brother had an Audi that was outstanding, but just too small for him and it was harming his knees. How can you tell why for a car on a used lot?

Having said that, a car made in that timeframe might be ok because they were selling as fast as the dealers could get them in at that time and the battery likely didnt have a chance to go stale. The battery issue has several components that should have been fixed by now. The one remainint issue is how long the car sat on the lot before sale. The cars that sat on the lot had their batteries drain to the point of damage and the batteries really needed to be replaced. Maybe you just need to get them to put a new battery in the car if you buy it and then take it straight to Ford to make sure it has the latest software updates.

Tdefny your comments about battery's going bad after sitting on the lot for long periods.  Makes me wonder about the dozen or so CMax that have been sitting at my local dealer (Frontier Ford) for at least 6 months. some the earlier ones have been there more than  year.

I bought mine September 20, 2012 the day it came off the car hauler which might be why I've had zero battery issues so far.  Interesting I've wondered why some have had so much trouble and I've had none.

Thanks.

Why not wait for another year and make sure all the problems have been resolved?  Our C-Max SEL is a November 2013 build and we have had no problems really.  But in your shoes, I would hold out for another year just to make sure all the new build issues are fixed.  But if you go ahead with the purchase go for the new one is my two cents.

rflynn, my 2c.  As George on Seinfeld said - 'you've got hand'.  The new 2013 SEL, 302A, quoted to you at 27k is a winner; keep negotiating though, how about 26 k or free extended warranty, free maintenance plan and free loaner car for any battery issues.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Why not wait for another year and make sure all the problems have been resolved?  Our C-Max SEL is a November 2013 build and we have had no problems really.  But in your shoes, I would hold out for another year just to make sure all the new build issues are fixed.  But if you go ahead with the purchase go for the new one is my two cents.

What you wrote here struck me as something at least worth exploring, so I asked the dealer we are working with (online so far) for a quote on a 2014 with the 302A package. He replied with a figure that was only about 1k above the quote he had given us for the similarly equipped 2013. We are consequently going to see him at the dealership on Saturday to check out a 2014.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but weren't most of the C-Max Battery issues on SE models? I tried to research before I said anything but those dead battery posts are very long. Though all of the people that I saw who posted with battery issues were, indeed, SE's.

Edited by MichaelM

Prices still seem high.  Not sure of the current rebate info, but bought my 301A NRG for $28K then will get the $4K in tax credit for a net price of 24K.  I bought on 12.31.13.

Steal of a deal on your 2013 NRG there GS Dave - great negotiating, Congrats!!! This 'year end' (2013) deal making will be very tough to beat in the future (IMO). Enjoy, Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Prices still seem high.  Not sure of the current rebate info, but bought my 301A NRG for $28K then will get the $4K in tax credit for a net price of 24K.  I bought on 12.31.13.

That's certainly a great price. Unfortunately, the Energi does not provide enough storage room for us.