Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How to get rid of this mix mode?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,656 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

If you ordered an ELM 327 that says it supports all protocols then you are good. But if it only supports J1850-PWM (an older protocol used by Ford) then it won't work. The C-Max does not use this protocol.  The C-Max uses the ISO 15765 CAN protocol (which I thought all manufacturers had to use as of a few years ago).  Look at the pins in the OBDII connector and you will see that pins 2 and 10 (J1850-PWM) are not there but pins 6 and 14 are there (ISO CAN) in the diagrams in this link.  I hope you ordered the right one.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Either there is a problem with webcontol's car or he may not really know what he thinks he saw.

This behavior is fairly common. In my observations, it seems to happen more often at colder ambient temps. Our FFH behaves this way quite often in the winter but almost never in summer.

I noticed same thing again this morning. I was driving little slower this time, about 25MPH speed, both ICE and EV motor were on. When stepped on gas, EV motor increased output, gas motor did not.  Then when EV battery indicator running low, ICE increased its output and took over, EV motor stopped.

The solution is to shift into L as previously was stated.

#23 OFFLINE   webcontrol

webcontrol

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

The sensor I am buying saying also support ISO-15765-4.  Waiting it to be shipped over.

Hybridbear, if that is a command behavior, what is the reason behind it?  Does Ford plan to get rid of that behavior?  In my opinion, that's just wasting energy.  To keep shifting gear is not the best way to drive this  fun car.  To save one drop oil here, save little bit of EV battery there, that will result a great fuel efficient car.  In my narrow minded opinion, if user sets EV+ mode to on, this car firmware should only use the max fuel efficiency way to handle ICE and EV.

Edited by webcontrol, 07 April 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 494 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Hybridbear, if that is a command behavior, what is the reason behind it?  Does Ford plan to get rid of that behavior?  In my opinion, that's just wasting energy.  To keep shifting gear is not the best way to drive this  fun car.  To save one drop oil here, save little bit of EV battery there, that will result a great fuel efficient car.  In my narrow minded opinion, if user sets EV+ mode to on, this car firmware should only use the max fuel efficiency way to handle ICE and EV.

I have no idea. The Prius usually behaves this way. The Prius rarely uses the ICE to charge the HVB. It instead runs the ICE a lot more but at a much lower fuel consumption, rates much lower than our cars can go. It also often uses the HVB power to support the ICE since the ICE is small & weak. In the Ford hybrids the ICE is much more powerful and it doesn't need help from the HVB but rather can be used to drive the car and charge the HVB. I've noticed that the Energi in hybrid mode behaves much more like the Prius and almost always uses this mode. The Energi in hybrid mode gets worse fuel economy than the hybrid, not just because of the added weight, but also because of the computer programming.

I have no idea why Ford has programmed it this way or how the computer decides to do this mix mode sometimes. It does the mix mode most often on the freeway which is when it is really inefficient because I want the ICE to charge the HVB when it's on so that I can drive stretches with the ICE off in EV mode. Any time spent in this mix mode takes away the opportunity to drive in EV mode.

#25 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,293 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

... I was driving little slower this time, about 25MPH speed, both ICE and EV motor were on. When stepped on gas, EV motor increased output, gas motor did not.  Then when EV battery indicator running low, ICE increased its output and took over, EV motor stopped.

I just re-read the thread to be sure I hadn't missed something... I don't think I've ever seen ICE with EV unless I asked for them both via throttle position. Only when SOC indicator is full does the battery discharge with < 2-bar acceleration.

Which brings me to the point; how prevalent is this behavior (ICE + EV until SOC runs out)?

Any chance this is a symptom of something like a PCM update gone awry, but not terribly awry like JohnnOhio's first update did. A subtle failure mode that's either hard to detect (like me) or only present on a fraction of the population.

Just a thought...

Frank

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·