Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Decrease in mpg after 15B04 recall

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zharry

zharry

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Has anyone notice a decrease in MPG after the 15B04 recall that reprogrammed the battery electronics? I had been getting 46 mpg but with two fill ups down to 39 mpg. Ideas? zharry

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 552 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:02 PM

Mine has been down but I can't say that the 15B04 effected it. Based on the types of trips I've taken, as well as how hot it has been (feel like temps have been over 100 everyday), the difference is likely for those reasons. 

#3 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

It's possible it's just now more accurate (most folks have said the actual gauge "off" when compared to the real mileage found by measuring gas at fillups).  That's assuming you're talking about the gauges themselves.

#4 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 575 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Has anyone notice a decrease in MPG after the 15B04 recall that reprogrammed the battery electronics? I had been getting 46 mpg but with two fill ups down to 39 mpg. Ideas? zharry

Just a long shot but did you get new tires around the same time?  New tires, even the same kind, have higher rolling resistance and a greater circumference which will lower car calculated mpg.  

I do not have a noticeable drop.  

• Robert Fugate likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Robert Fugate

Robert Fugate

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

I'm surprised no one, even on other forums don't question the gasoline quality. From different times of the year summer/winter blend to percentage of ethanol. That's not counting are you actuality getting a full gallon 100% from the pump instead of maybe 97%?   

Edited by Robert Fugate, 26 July 2015 - 06:51 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

Any reprogramming of the PCM clears out the stored values in the tables that control vehicle operation. It takes up to 1000 miles for the car to relearn your driving style & behavior.

• Jus-A-CMax and bemyax like this

#7 OFFLINE   Robert Fugate

Robert Fugate

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

Do you have an article on this about needing to relearn your driving style & behavior? The PCM makes sure your engine is running at it's most efficient for emissions, and electric motor operation.  https://en.wikipedia..._control_module

Edited by Robert Fugate, 26 July 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

I had the update and haven't noticed any differences.Your fluctuations in MPG are probably related to something else.

My CMax has a 44.2 average so far for the year - 13,200 miles of mostly work commuting (mixed congested freeway and city driving). My velocity is average traffic speed.

Jan 39.1

Feb 39.1

Mar 42.7

Apr 48.6

May 48.2

Jun 49.0

Jul 46.9

Temperature and type of trips are the big differentiator. In winter heater causes engine to run more and I lose mileage.  In heat of summer air conditioner impacts but not nearly as much as the heater in winter.  Pure freeway driving with minimal stop and go reduces mileage significantly, so long trips at consistently higher speeds have an impact.  

I use the Automatic OBD reader for my gas mileage readout - every trip I take is tracked.

• ptjones likes this

#9 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 552 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

Do you have an article on this about needing to relearn your driving style & behavior? The PCM makes sure your engine is running at it's most efficient for emissions, and electric motor operation.  https://en.wikipedia..._control_module

It made sense to me when I heard it because my car "forgot" my EV+ locations. I saw EV+ today for the first time since I had the update done a week ago.

#10 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 552 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

It's possible it's just now more accurate (most folks have said the actual gauge "off" when compared to the real mileage found by measuring gas at fillups).  That's assuming you're talking about the gauges themselves.

I filled up today and my mpgs seemed slightly better than normal (maybe 1 mpg), compared to what I've previously gotten at fill up. The one difference today, my computed mpg was only about .5 mpg lower than what the dash read which, if future fill ups stay consistent, would be more accurate than normal. The key here is that it would need to stay this way over the next few fill ups to be meaningful.

One difference I am noticing is that I kick into EV mode with less of a battery charge. I'm not sure if this is a programming difference or just from having the "user driving style" reset.

#11 OFFLINE   jcwcmax

jcwcmax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Locationphoenix arizona
  • Current Vehicle:2014 c-max sel

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Yup, me too.  After the recall update, I went from a steady 42.5 avg to 41.7.  They must have changed the algorithm to reflect more accurate usage.  Average daytime temps in Phoenix have been steady at 105 to 109, so weather conditions didn't affect it.  After the update the dash did not reset the avg. mpg, to zero, nor did it seem to fluctuate until after driving the car after the update.

As a side note, the ECO cruise control also seemed to change, seemingly becoming a bit more aggressive on acceleration.  I drive very fixed routes to and from work and have noticed this, as its' invariably set to 45 mph cruise speed.

#12 OFFLINE   pomtrey

pomtrey

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBrooklyn
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMax Hybrid

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

yes both my husband and i notice a difference in mileage. we've had our car since December 2012 and do mostly city driving. initially we got 44ish in the city and less on the highway. now it's the complete opposite--we struggle to get 38 city and get 42-44 highway. it's frustrating; nothing else has changed, just the recalls. i feel the algorithm has changed to favor highway driving since most people seem to have complained about that early on. would love our old city mileage back.

#13 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:11 AM

I certainly hope this isn't the case -- it doesn't make much sense they would tweak the car in any way to change the mpgs (although the more I hear about this "fix" the less likely I am to do it.  I still am of the "ain't broke don't fix it" school).

#14 OFFLINE   jcwcmax

jcwcmax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Locationphoenix arizona
  • Current Vehicle:2014 c-max sel

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:50 AM

Me too, dropped from 42.6 AVG to 41.7 after update....same daily route, no variables in daily driving, They must have tweaked the algorithm that  works out mpg to make it more realistic.

#15 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

Me too, dropped from 42.6 AVG to 41.7 after update....same daily route, no variables in daily driving, They must have tweaked the algorithm that  works out mpg to make it more realistic.

I don't know. Honda got dinged big time for their "fix" to the Civic hybrid. The batteries were wearing out too fast, so they tweaked the algorythms such that it got less MPG, but longer battery life. Unlike your experience, it was a very big hit as I recall.

I'm not saying Ford did this, but it is a possibility.

#16 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

Nope:  Definately no drop from 46 to 39.  We have not 'seen' any drop in mpg's;  still getting 45-50+ on all our trips.

A more 'realistic' gauge reading, a possibility, we will all see as we compare the 'Trip 1 or 2' (Tank) dash reading with our fill-ups.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea, 06 August 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   DavidMBailey

DavidMBailey

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max!

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

As I mentioned elsewhere, my 2013 SEL appears to be getting better mileage after the update. I haven't analyzed it closely, but it appears to be 5 mpg at 45 mph and 3 mpg on the freeway.

#18 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

No drop, if anything, slightly better with the EV. EV+ is the same...not that I am trying hard to clock those big tanks lately..

#19 OFFLINE   revanoff2

revanoff2

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKeizer, OR
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

How can I determine if the update has been applied? I've been searching (maybe not hard enough?) but have not found a way for me to determine whether it has been performed.

Any help would be fantastic.

On a separate note, my car finally learned what "home" is... saw EV+ for the first time yesterday.   :yahoo:

~Revanoff~

#20 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 552 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

How can I determine if the update has been applied? I've been searching (maybe not hard enough?) but have not found a way for me to determine whether it has been performed.

Any help would be fantastic.

On a separate note, my car finally learned what "home" is... saw EV+ for the first time yesterday.   :yahoo:

~Revanoff~

As far as I can tell, if you go to the Ford Owner website, under Service & Maintenance>Recalls, after entering your VIN, it will show you the recalls/service programs that are open for your vehicle. If the 15B04 Service Action isn't listed, then it is not "open"; which should mean it has been performed on your car.

Edited by raadsel, 04 September 2015 - 03:43 PM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·