Oil Changes

According to the C-Max brochure (you can see it here), on the "C-Max Standard Features" page, under "Mechanical", it claims to be an "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor ®".  What I would like to see is how much oil life is left, according to the computer.  My 2005 GMC Truck does this, and I like knowing that I'm at 5% oil life before heading out on a trip or something.

Concur.  Makes no sense to get 1000 miles from  home, and then get a message to change to oil soon.  This is a step backwards; I indicated in an earlier post that my 08 Escape allows me to monitor remaining oil life whenever I want.

That's one of the things about the manual that drives me crazy.  Are they really trying to say that Ford "regular" oil is better than 100% synthetic from Shell or Walmart?  I don't think so.

A very good way to know which oil and what frequency to change the oil is to have a used oil analysis performed at the point you change the oil.  The analysis will tell you some very important details about the state of the oil and the state of your engine wear.   http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php is a popular service used by consumers and fleet owners.  Their standard analysis costs $25 and one test will save you many times that over the life of the engine by allowing you to extend oil change frequency.  You can also go to: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3&page=1  (an excellent source of information related to oil and other maintenance issues) and see a database of hundreds of virgin and used oil analyses on many different autos and types of oil.  Be sure to contribute your data there if you have an analysis performed.  

Dig a little and you will be surprised at how well Motorcraft synthetic blend performs next to full synthetics.  It's not the type of oil as much as it is the type and amount of additives included in the oil.  Our little internal combustion engines are very easy on oil.  If it makes you feel better, by all means do it as often as you think it needs to be done.  Changing earlier than 7500 miles is wasteful. 

The electronic version of the first printing of the CMAX Owner's Manual characterizes the instrumentation for oil changes differently for the Hybrid and the Energy:

The following is copied from page 359 the owners manual:

C-MAX full hybrid

vehicles are equipped with an information display

which indicates the proper oil change service interval; the interval is up

to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL

CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information

display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within

two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE

DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The oil life

monitoring system must be reset after each oil change. See

Engine oil

check

in the Maintenance chapter.

If your information display is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative,

you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles

(8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or

10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid vehicles are equipped with the

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM) system which shows a message in

the information display at the proper oil change service interval; this

interval may be up to two years or 20000 miles (32000 kilometers).

When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears

in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must

be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE

OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor

must be reset after each oil change. See

Engine oil check

in the Maintenance chapter.

Edited by Bob999

• 2 weeks later...

"Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you use synthetic oil, it must meet Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in your Owner’s Guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM."

from http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil#reload

So should we use synthetic oil with the C-Max?

Synthetic oil is the way to go.

I have used Synthetic Oil since the early 70's Full synthetic, NOT mixed or cracked, Have used in all my engines, gas and diesel, has performed perfect, it will keep and or clean the engines to look like new in side, it is also good for 'extended use', Two of the Synthetics meet all of the requirements "required by Ford".. two of the Synthetic Oils are Moble one, and Amsoil.

For a hybrid that travels many miles with the engine off, you might not want your oil change interval measured by simple miles. It's even worse on the Energi, since it'll have so many more miles without the engine running. A sensor that actually measures oil quality is the best solution, but a cheaper solution (used by aircraft and such) is to simply count hours of engine running time. I suspect that's what our cars are doing, and the mileage numbers are just an estimate of how far we'll drive before hitting the requisite number of hours.

Is there really a difference between Mobil 1 and other synthetics like Shell or Walmart?

This is from an Amsoil info sheet, I am not a dealer, but they have a lot of good information on Synthetic Oil. The best thing you can do for your car is

buy the best oil and filter.

The importance of good-quality oil in your engine cannot be overstated. Synthetic motor oils consistently outperform conventional and other synthetic oils in virtually every category of performance, including wear protection, extreme high and low temperature performance, foam control, viscosity retention, rust and corrosion protection, volatility and fuel economy.

While other brands may have good performance in some of these areas, AMSOIL consistently performs at the top in every category. Drivers can have confidence knowing that AMSOIL motor oils provide maximum performance and protection.

Just to play devil's advocate...

I don't trust a lot of info like that if it's from a company selling the product they're touting.

It may be better than other types of oil, but compared to just using a decent brand that meets the specified grade, does it really matter?

Maybe for race cars, or if you're hoping to get 500K miles on the engine.

I agree.  I definitely agree that synthetic is much better, but I think that any synthetic that has an API certification is as good as any other.  Some of the additives in Amsoil are probably superior, but would a regular, every day driver benefit from the more costly synthetics?  I tend to doubt it.

For a hybrid that travels many miles with the engine off, you might not want your oil change interval measured by simple miles. It's even worse on the Energi, since it'll have so many more miles without the engine running. A sensor that actually measures oil quality is the best solution, but a cheaper solution (used by aircraft and such) is to simply count hours of engine running time. I suspect that's what our cars are doing, and the mileage numbers are just an estimate of how far we'll drive before hitting the requisite number of hours.

During the lifetime of the car, the hybrid engine will not run as many hours as the engine in a conventional system, but it may receive more wear, because it will cycle on many more times.  I have no hard data to back this up, but I think that wearing surfaces in the engine experience the greatest stress when they first start moving against each other, until a somewhat steady state of motion is achieved.

So, is it true that the only Ford certified synthetics are Mobil 1 and Amsoil?

According to the EPA mileage chart the motor oil specified is 5W20, GF-5.  There are a several oils on the market that meet that specification, including at least one non-synthetic oils.

The following was posted at www.bobistheoilguy.com

"The new API SN/GF-5 5W20 motor oil now specs WSS-M2C945-A under Ford's nomenclature."

So I think the answer to your question is "NO"--I don't think Ford "certifies" any oils and I think there are many oils that satisfy the Ford specification--not just Mobil 1 and Amsoil.

Edited by Bob999

So, is it true that the only Ford certified synthetics are Mobil 1 and Amsoil?

Any oil that is API certified is ok with Ford, or any other manufacture, it's your choice which one to use. I have used synthetics for so many years, I will continue, it is great in the winter, as it does not thicken as it gets used, engines turn over like in the summer, it is not more expensive, because you can use it for more miles, usually bring the cost to under what you pay for cheap oil. I change the filter at the regular recommended mileage. Most people do not use synthetics, but I guess a lot of the 'new' cars are coming from the manufacture with synthetic in the engines.

Did my first oil change yesterday; pretty routine.  I used standard "rhino ramps" and a mechanic's creeper.  The extra step is the removal of the panel under the engine.  There's enough clearance for me, using the ramps and the creeper, to get under the car on my back, and undo the 8 or so fasteners which hold panel in place.  Replacing the panel was easy: lay on my back on the creeper, put the panel on my chest, slide under the car, and re-attach the fasteners (I started with the front fasteners).  The panel itself is light, so it's easy to move around.  I'm thin; there was enough clearance for me under the car, but if you're on the big side, removal and replacement of the panel will be harder.  The underside of the engine was spotless, due to the panel.  Before you start, make sure you have the proper tool for removal of the fasteners.

I used Mobil 1 5W20 and the recommended Ford filter.  It took more than the 4.5 quarts indicated in the owner's manual.  Clearance for the drain plug (15 mm) is limited, so I used a ratcheting flat wrench.  Placement of the oil filter allows for easy removal without much mess - after you loosen it a turn or so, some oil will spill out around the top, but it falls straight down into the drain pan.

When I did the free oil change at the dealer, I checked the oil level the next morning before driving and it was below the max line by about a third of a quart. When I asked the dealer why it wasn't completely filled, they claimed that Ford recommends filling the oil to the mid point of the range on the dipstick. Not sure I believe them since it came from the factory filled to the max line, so I plan to always keep it there.