Custom Search

Welcome to Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Oil Changes

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   AgentCMAX

AgentCMAX

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Googled some links on "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor" and got the following...

http://owner.ford.co...es/IOLM FAQ.pdf

http://owner.ford.co...d=1239636411265

But I think this one comes closest to what you are looking for...

"If...you still don't trust the oil life monitor and want to use a shorter interval because, dang it, that's what you're comfortable with, you can do one of two things: 1) Keep tabs on the odometer the old-fashioned way and change it when your interval of choice comes up or; 2) Set your Explorer's oil life monitor to something LESS than 100% when you change your oil. That way, you'll still get the benefit of the oil life monitor as it tracks the severity of your driving, but you'll have control over the maximum interval."

http://blogs.insidel...e-interval.html

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   AgentCMAX

AgentCMAX

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hmmn, interesting...check out this discussion on IOLM's effectiveness:

http://www.cleanmpg....ead.php?t=37499

"Why the EcoBoost engine was so clean

The comparative lack of engine sludge/grime indicates that the engine’s PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system and the recommended Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend motor oil – available off the shelf – worked in harmony to contribute to clean engine operation.

The PCV system essentially “recycles” crankcase gases back into the intake for reburning, which contributes to improved fuel economy and lower emissions.

In terms of oil consumption, the 2011 F-150 EcoBoost has a 10,000-mile oil change interval and includes an intelligent oil life monitor (IOLM). The IOLM uses actual engine and vehicle operating conditions to more precisely calculate anticipated service intervals, depending on vehicle operating conditions, as follows:

• Up to 10,000 miles: normal commuting with highway driving
  • 5,000 to 7,500 miles: trailer tow/high-load driving
  • 3,000 to 5,000 miles: short-trip usage, extreme temperatures

Instead of using a predetermined interval schedule (either by time or mileage), the IOLM tells customers, based on their driving habits and engine operating conditions, when to change the oil through simple communications in the message center."

#23 OFFLINE   C-MaxJaxon

C-MaxJaxon

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 251 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Page 359 of Owners Guide:

"C-MAX full hybrid vehicles are equipped with an information display which indicates the proper oil change service interval; the interval is up to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing."

#24 OFFLINE   AgentCMAX

AgentCMAX

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

"Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you use synthetic oil, it must meet Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in your Owner’s Guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM."

from http://support.ford....ange-oil#reload

So should we use synthetic oil with the C-Max?

• Arthur likes this

#25 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the

requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A, SAE 5W-20, GF5, and display the API

Certification Mark.

Your engine has been designed to be used with Ford engine oil, which gives a fuel economy

benefit while maintaining the durability of your engine.

Using oils other than the one specified can result in longer engine cranking periods, reduced

engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels.

Above from page 349 of downloaded Owners Manual.

#26 OFFLINE   robodog61

robodog61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Prius

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

That's one of the things about the manual that drives me crazy.  Are they really trying to say that Ford "regular" oil is better than 100% synthetic from Shell or Walmart?  I don't think so.

#27 OFFLINE   PWBarrett

PWBarrett

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 213 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

From the manual:

What is the engine oil change service interval?

The engine oil should be changed every 10000 miles (16000 km) under normal operating conditions.
See the Scheduled maintenance information.

#28 OFFLINE   Seymour_Bears

Seymour_Bears

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max, 2003 Corvette, 2008 Escape

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

According to the C-Max brochure (you can see it here), on the "C-Max Standard Features" page, under "Mechanical", it claims to be an "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor ®".  What I would like to see is how much oil life is left, according to the computer.  My 2005 GMC Truck does this, and I like knowing that I'm at 5% oil life before heading out on a trip or something.

Concur.  Makes no sense to get 1000 miles from  home, and then get a message to change to oil soon.  This is a step backwards; I indicated in an earlier post that my 08 Escape allows me to monitor remaining oil life whenever I want.

#29 OFFLINE   Tarheel

Tarheel

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

That's one of the things about the manual that drives me crazy.  Are they really trying to say that Ford "regular" oil is better than 100% synthetic from Shell or Walmart?  I don't think so.

A very good way to know which oil and what frequency to change the oil is to have a used oil analysis performed at the point you change the oil.  The analysis will tell you some very important details about the state of the oil and the state of your engine wear.   http://www.blackston...rd-analysis.php is a popular service used by consumers and fleet owners.  Their standard analysis costs $25 and one test will save you many times that over the life of the engine by allowing you to extend oil change frequency.  You can also go to: http://www.bobistheo...&Board=3&page=1  (an excellent source of information related to oil and other maintenance issues) and see a database of hundreds of virgin and used oil analyses on many different autos and types of oil.  Be sure to contribute your data there if you have an analysis performed.  

Dig a little and you will be surprised at how well Motorcraft synthetic blend performs next to full synthetics.  It's not the type of oil as much as it is the type and amount of additives included in the oil.  Our little internal combustion engines are very easy on oil.  If it makes you feel better, by all means do it as often as you think it needs to be done.  Changing earlier than 7500 miles is wasteful. 

#30 OFFLINE   Bob999

Bob999

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

The electronic version of the first printing of the CMAX Owner's Manual characterizes the instrumentation for oil changes differently for the Hybrid and the Energy:

The following is copied from page 359 the owners manual:

C-MAX full hybrid

vehicles are equipped with an information display

which indicates the proper oil change service interval; the interval is up

to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL

CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information

display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within

two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE

DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The oil life

monitoring system must be reset after each oil change. See

Engine oil

check

in the Maintenance chapter.

If your information display is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative,

you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles

(8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or

10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid vehicles are equipped with the

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM) system which shows a message in

the information display at the proper oil change service interval; this

interval may be up to two years or 20000 miles (32000 kilometers).

When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears

in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must

be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE

OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor

must be reset after each oil change. See

Engine oil check

in the Maintenance chapter.

Edited by Bob999, 10 December 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Arthur

Arthur

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

"Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you use synthetic oil, it must meet Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in your Owner’s Guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM."

from http://support.ford....ange-oil#reload

So should we use synthetic oil with the C-Max?

Synthetic oil is the way to go.
I have used Synthetic Oil since the early 70's Full synthetic, NOT mixed or cracked, Have used in all my engines, gas and diesel, has performed perfect, it will keep and or clean the engines to look like new in side, it is also good for 'extended use', Two of the Synthetics meet all of the requirements "required by Ford".. two of the Synthetic Oils are Moble one, and Amsoil.

#32 OFFLINE   robodog61

robodog61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

Is there really a difference between Mobil 1 and other synthetics like Shell or Walmart?

#33 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 610 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

10,000 for hybrid, "not more than 20,000" for the Energi.

#34 OFFLINE   MikeB

MikeB

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

For a hybrid that travels many miles with the engine off, you might not want your oil change interval measured by simple miles. It's even worse on the Energi, since it'll have so many more miles without the engine running. A sensor that actually measures oil quality is the best solution, but a cheaper solution (used by aircraft and such) is to simply count hours of engine running time. I suspect that's what our cars are doing, and the mileage numbers are just an estimate of how far we'll drive before hitting the requisite number of hours.

#35 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 768 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

Have you seen this video for oil maintenance. The manual says it applies to the Energi only.

#36 OFFLINE   Arthur

Arthur

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Is there really a difference between Mobil 1 and other synthetics like Shell or Walmart?

This is from an Amsoil info sheet, I am not a dealer, but they have a lot of good information on Synthetic Oil. The best thing you can do for your car is
buy the best oil and filter.

The importance of good-quality oil in your engine cannot be overstated. Synthetic motor oils consistently outperform conventional and other synthetic oils in virtually every category of performance, including wear protection, extreme high and low temperature performance, foam control, viscosity retention, rust and corrosion protection, volatility and fuel economy.

While other brands may have good performance in some of these areas, AMSOIL consistently performs at the top in every category. Drivers can have confidence knowing that AMSOIL motor oils provide maximum performance and protection.

#37 OFFLINE   PWBarrett

PWBarrett

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 213 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Just to play devil's advocate...

I don't trust a lot of info like that if it's from a company selling the product they're touting.

It may be better than other types of oil, but compared to just using a decent brand that meets the specified grade, does it really matter?

Maybe for race cars, or if you're hoping to get 500K miles on the engine.

#38 OFFLINE   robodog61

robodog61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

I agree.  I definitely agree that synthetic is much better, but I think that any synthetic that has an API certification is as good as any other.  Some of the additives in Amsoil are probably superior, but would a regular, every day driver benefit from the more costly synthetics?  I tend to doubt it.

#39 OFFLINE   Seymour_Bears

Seymour_Bears

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max, 2003 Corvette, 2008 Escape

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

For a hybrid that travels many miles with the engine off, you might not want your oil change interval measured by simple miles. It's even worse on the Energi, since it'll have so many more miles without the engine running. A sensor that actually measures oil quality is the best solution, but a cheaper solution (used by aircraft and such) is to simply count hours of engine running time. I suspect that's what our cars are doing, and the mileage numbers are just an estimate of how far we'll drive before hitting the requisite number of hours.

During the lifetime of the car, the hybrid engine will not run as many hours as the engine in a conventional system, but it may receive more wear, because it will cycle on many more times.  I have no hard data to back this up, but I think that wearing surfaces in the engine experience the greatest stress when they first start moving against each other, until a somewhat steady state of motion is achieved.

• wab likes this

#40 OFFLINE   robodog61

robodog61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

So, is it true that the only Ford certified synthetics are Mobil 1 and Amsoil?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users