Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

First Highway Trip with 2016 C-Max

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Telerisk

Telerisk

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

As discussed and promised, I have driven the trip from my Home to Disney/Magic Kingdom miles totaling Approx 210 Miles round trip... driving my 2014 Honda CR-V.....90% Highway averaging 65mph; the other 10% off highway getting to and from my House to the Interstate and, in a 4+ mile Bumper to Bumper, stop & Go traffic backup on Interstate. I got 37.0 mpg.     OK, I wrote I had gotten on this same highway trip in the past 38mpg...when several wrote not possible for a CR-V.  This trip we drove both ways with the Windows down (more air drag...less gpm).  The other trip at 38mpg, as I recall, windows closed AC running.

I wanted to Post the Picture I took of my CR-V's Mileage display showing 37.0....but did not see a menu item that allows a Picture to be uploaded from my Phone....or PC where I transferred the Picture to.  If anyone can provide an easy way to upload my MPG Picture off my Android Phone\or Windows PC....please provide and I'll Upload the Pic.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,114 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

As discussed and promised, I have driven the trip from my Home to Disney/Magic Kingdom miles totaling Approx 210 Miles round trip... driving my 2014 Honda CR-V.....90% Highway averaging 65mph; the other 10% off highway getting to and from my House to the Interstate and, in a 4+ mile Bumper to Bumper, stop & Go traffic backup on Interstate. I got 37.0 mpg.     OK, I wrote I had gotten on this same highway trip in the past 38mpg...when several wrote not possible for a CR-V.  This trip we drove both ways with the Windows down (more air drag...less gpm).  The other trip at 38mpg, as I recall, windows closed AC running.

I wanted to Post the Picture I took of my CR-V's Mileage display showing 37.0....but did not see a menu item that allows a Picture to be uploaded from my Phone....or PC where I transferred the Picture to.  If anyone can provide an easy way to upload my MPG Picture off my Android Phone\or Windows PC....please provide and I'll Upload the Pic.

I think a more important measure would to be to fill up your tank to see how many gallons you used and divide in to the number of miles to get accurate measure of MPG's like we do for Fuelly.com.  Car MPG gauges exaggerate all the time.   :)

Paul

#23 OFFLINE   Telerisk

Telerisk

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2016

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

I did that ...that is, filled on my way and filled up when I got back,,,,actual Math was 36.7.  I did not add that to my Post because when I wrote in my Prior Post that I did the actual math to come up that my 38mpg, someone wrote that I must have gotten the high Mileage because on my after trip Fill-up I was most likely on a slope and maybe didn't get a good fill-up.

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

I did that ...that is, filled on my way and filled up when I got back,,,,actual Math was 36.7.  I did not add that to my Post because when I wrote in my Prior Post that I did the actual math to come up that my 38mpg, someone wrote that I must have gotten the high Mileage because on my after trip Fill-up I was most likely on a slope and maybe didn't get a good fill-up.

You are getting very good MPG's with your CRV, With a little practice you should do very well in the CMAX.  EV to 15mph, accelerate at 2 bars ICE and you will do great! :) 

Paul 

#25 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 247 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

Their is a market for this smaller Hybrid vehicle but it would appear Ford doesn't have the desire in the US to keep the line going....yet, they will keep the C-Max in production in Europe.  I never understood why Ford released the C-Max with rear sliding doors in Europe and simply reported that model would never be offered in the US.  That one puzzled me because that could be the Feature that would make this vehicle take a serious run at the Prius...the vehicle Ford produced the C-Max to knock Prius off the top. I'd go for a New Max in a Flash as my second car if it were offered with rear sliding Doors.  Apparently Ford isn't listening....like I wrote, in the entire 2016 year...the year I purchased my C-Max, in my TampaBay area (makes up about 5 Ford dealerships)...the Combined Dealership yearly Inventory on the 2016 couldn't have been greater than 8 to 10 C-Max's.  Right now, that inventory for the 2017 model...is 3....and that has been so since early February.  

Maybe Ford will change its mind...they seem to be doing a lot of that recently....and keep this size Hybrid Vehicle in their 2019 or 2020 model year.    In the meantime, I think I might get a little more serious on the Kia Niro LX Model....I do like its Warranty and the car looks from the outside almost identical to the C-Max....just would have liked it with the CVT Transmission.     

Just got back from Europe. Pretty fair number of Ford B-Max, C-Max, Grand C-Max, and S-Max vehicles out there (that's the small, medium, large, and extra-large version of our car, respectively). The tall-hatch profile is very popular there because it's roomy without being long, which is important when trying to park in crowded city centers. The tall-hatch shape never really caught on in the US, but in Europe there's a tall-roof version of every Focus-class hatchback...just as the Focus also comes as the C-Max, the VW Golf also comes as the Golf Plus, the Renault Megane also comes as the Scenic (it's probably the most popular example of the breed), etc.

Interestingly, it appears the Scenic, now starting its fourth generation, will be shaped like a small CUV going forward. Like the US, Europe has gone crazy for the car-based small-SUV look. The Kia Niro should do great (in the US, anyway; it's probably got a little too much length for Europe).

• C-MaxSea likes this

#26 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 380 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

Ford is bringing twenty Hibryd vehicles to the US market so no worries. I assume that the Grand C-max isn't here for the same reason that Mazda doesn't sell the Mazda5 here anymore, no buyer's.

#27 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 530 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

Ford is bringing twenty Hibryd vehicles to the US market so no worries. I assume that the Grand C-max isn't here for the same reason that Mazda doesn't sell the Mazda5 here anymore, no buyer's.

I'm curious where you saw that Ford will bring 20 Hybrid vehicles to the US market soon? The most recent thing I've seen is "13 electrified vehicles" in the next five years, but that number is a combination of pure electric, plug-in hybrid, and hybrid vehicles -- and that includes two police cruisers.

• ptjones likes this

#28 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

Sorry, it's only 13
  • ptjones likes this

#29 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

46.5 MPG in my first month of my new 2016 C-Max. I also have a 2013. The 2016 gets better mileage using the new ECO mode.  My driving is mostly a ~35 mile commute on freeway during rush hours.

Screen Shot 2017 04 22 At 8.57.05 AM

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#30 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

46.5 MPG in my first month of my new 2016 C-Max. I also have a 2013. The 2016 gets better mileage using the new ECO mode.  My driving is mostly a ~35 mile commute on freeway during rush hours.

I tried the ECO Mode on a 2017 CMAX Hybrid and didn't like it. :sad:  It acts like a Prius/NIRO want to be(Not Good), I still believe the EV to 15mph then 2 Bar acceleration to speed will get better gas mileage, because of how the Hybrid System is designed to operate. :)  :shift:  I believe the ICE runs more efficiently at 2 Bars and if you move away from that MPG's will go down. Are you using EV15/2 Bar?

Paul

#31 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

I tried the ECO Mode on a 2017 CMAX Hybrid and didn't like it. :sad:  It acts like a Prius/NIRO want to be(Not Good), I still believe the EV to 15mph then 2 Bar acceleration to speed will get better gas mileage, because of how the Hybrid System is designed to operate. :)  :shift:  I believe the ICE runs more efficiently at 2 Bars and if you move away from that MPG's will go down. Are you using EV15/2 Bar?

Paul

Yes, it isn't quite as responsive, but it still seems to accelerate when needed, and it does get better mileage.  More interesting to me is how I don't need to break as often.  The car slows down more quickly when off the gas.  I probably break half as much as when not in ECO mode.  I do drive differently in the CMax, but no, I don't pay that much attention to staying under 2 bars. I am more interested in surviving my 35 mile commute during rush hour!  One of the reasons I bought another CMax versus a Prius, KIA or Hundai is the CMax's ability to accelerate decently. Also, the price was phenomenal and I do feel good about it being made in Detroit.  

• ptjones likes this

#32 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Yes, it isn't quite as responsive, but it still seems to accelerate when needed, and it does get better mileage.  More interesting to me is how I don't need to break as often.  The car slows down more quickly when off the gas.  I probably break half as much as when not in ECO mode.  I do drive differently in the CMax, but no, I don't pay that much attention to staying under 2 bars. I am more interested in surviving my 35 mile commute during rush hour!  One of the reasons I bought another CMax versus a Prius, KIA or Hundai is the CMax's ability to accelerate decently. Also, the price was phenomenal and I do feel good about it being made in Detroit.  

How does your brake score compare between the 2013 and 2016?  

It would seem that it might be easier to get a higher brake score with a higher level of regenerative braking but that doesn't necessarily translate into higher FE because one should get better FE with less regenerative braking when one is not coming to a complete stop.  Ones best FE would be to coast in N (no regenerative braking) to a stop.  

Based on my testing a few years ago, regenerative braking losses are more than most think such that the difference between say an overall average 95% brake score vs a 97% brake score saves very little energy. But, for those drivers that have difficulty getting 90% and now using the new eco mode can achieve 97% with the extra regenerative braking in Eco mode, they will likely improves their FE slightly when comming to a complete stop.

With ForScan, I can watch brake pressure in real time.  So, one can develop a "feel" for when one applies to much brake pressure and the friction brakes are applied.  I would rather have full control of regenerative braking from none to maximum using the brake pedal.  As I've said before, I'd like a threshold screen for regenerative braking much like the threshold screen in Empower for EV operation. 

Also, the 2016 has the aero mods that the 2013 doesn't have.  There are probably other tweaks like the new Eco mode that might improve FE in the 2016 over the 2013.  Hasn't it been verified that the 2016 is limited to about 65 mph in EV only mode?  

• ptjones likes this

#33 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 724 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

No, this post says a 2016 still goes to 85 mph EV.

#34 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

Regen Braking Score isn't very important for HWY driving unless you are in Stop & Go traffic. But in City driving it is very important, It all comes down to how many times you use the brakes per mile.  On the FWY you could go 400 miles and use your brakes a few times as compared to City driving where you could be using the brakes 5 to 10 times per mile. Big difference. :) You get the best MPG's by not using the brakes at all, a little hard to do. :lol2:

Paul

• Smiling Jack likes this

#35 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 117 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

My dad also says the ECO select gives him better FE but I still can't stand it.
I just got back from Nashville and I was doing about 86MPH in EV mode a few times. (Down hill of course)
Also noticed once you get above 65MPH you have to let off of the throttle all the way to kick in EV. Well not all the way. But till there is no bar and your on the regen adjustment part of the throttle.
  • ptjones likes this

#36 OFFLINE   16redsel

16redsel

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOH
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

It's hard to sell a car if you don't advertise it.  I'm seeing alot more CMAX's in my area now, I think a lot of CMAX's with low miles are available now coming off leases and trade ins which has put a hurt on new CMAX sales. :sad: Noticed FFH sales were real good last month. :)

Paul

Yeah, Paul and thats what I kinda realized when researching the Cmax. Recently got a 2016 SEL for well under $20K. Dealer said no one's buying new 'cause they

see the huge 1st year depreciation. too bad, but I'm enjoying mine.

16redsel

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·