600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Racked up over 500 miles during my morning commute, we'll see what happens on the drive this evening?  The yellow warning light came on for awhile but went out.  Screen says just over 10 gallons used so getting down to the bottom.  Can I squeeze out another 90 or so miles?  The tension is killing me.  I'm trying so hard to make sure my starts and stops are perfect and stay below 2 bars when ICE is running. This is almost as exciting as waiting to get the latest update from Jus on his legendary 800mile tank.  Boy does that seem like an impossible dream right now.  But this hypermiling is intoxicating to try and raise the bar just one more notch.

f13efbe5-c827-44f6-b5d1-dc4ea3c87fec_zps    ad864d46-86e7-4fd1-b09f-c25717762200_zps

Edited by mtb9153

Racked up over 500 miles during my morning commute, we'll see what happens on the drive this evening?  The yellow warning light came on for awhile but went out.  Screen says just over 10 gallons used so getting down to the bottom.  Can I squeeze out another 90 or so miles?  The tension is killing me.  I'm trying so hard to make sure my starts and stops are perfect and stay below 2 bars when ICE is running. This is almost as exciting as waiting to get the latest update from Jus on his legendary 800mile tank.  Boy does that seem like an impossible dream right now.  But this hypermiling is intoxicating to try and raise the bar just one more notch.

How many to empty? You should be able to go 140mi. more. Stop sweating you got a 2gal can in back. You will easily make it. Safely you can go 25mi past Empty, I've gone 40mi without running out, not sure that everyone can do that. Keep us posted on your progress, you will make it.  Paul

I finally have time to post my 600 mile tank pic.

I was so tempted to do a 500 mile entry when my MPG was over 50, but I really wanted a 600 miler.

12.27 gallons used, 48.9 mpg 600.9 gallons

drove about 4 miles past 0 miles to E

Congrats GaryM!!!  You are now in da club!!! :congrats:

And, in case anyone ever wonders, if there are 2 members with the same # of miles per tank, the highest EV miles wins. We've never discussed it, but our numbers are climbing now, so it's inevitable that some will have the same tank mileage, so that's what I use as the next identifier. Hope that's ok w/everyone.

Edited by Adair

How many to empty? You should be able to go 140mi. more. Stop sweating you got a 2gal can in back. You will easily make it. Safely you can go 25mi past Empty, I've gone 40mi without running out, not sure that everyone can do that. Keep us posted on your progress, you will make it.  Paul

Well that is a weird thing, at one point today I checked the miles to empty and it read 100, then the next time I checked after about 10 minutes it had changed to 92, then 82, then 60 something the last time I checked before home.

Ok, I'm an idiot.  I'm well on track to my first 700-mile tank (620mi and >1/8 tank left) and I managed to accidentally reset my Trip 1.

mtb, looking forward to seeing your name on the list!  That MTE thing caught me off guard, too... still haven't figured out why it fluctuates so much when you get near empty.

CMax-Traveler I'm so sorry about your mistake, to be so close to such an achievement milestone and not have your photographic proof...sickening.  I bet you said "OH Shoot" or a much more graphic form of colorful metaphor when it happen? :drop: I salute your efforts anyway and hope that our trusty moderators will cut you some slack and still allow you to be recognized for what it is.  I know how careful I have had to drive to get where I am with a possible 600+.  I'm not sure I'm up for trying for a 700+.  Actually I'm not sure Maxus has it in her?  We'll see if the challenge can be met?

Ok, I'm an idiot.  I'm well on track to my first 700-mile tank (620mi and >1/8 tank left) and I managed to accidentally reset my Trip 1.

mtb, looking forward to seeing your name on the list!  That MTE thing caught me off guard, too... still haven't figured out why it fluctuates so much when you get near empty.

What do you have trip 2 set for?

CMax-Traveler I'm so sorry about your mistake, to be so close to such an achievement milestone and not have your photographic proof...sickening.  I bet you said "OH Shoot" or a much more graphic form of colorful metaphor when it happen? :drop: I salute your efforts anyway and hope that our trusty moderators will cut you some slack and still allow you to be recognized for what it is.  I know how careful I have had to drive to get where I am with a possible 600+.  I'm not sure I'm up for trying for a 700+.  Actually I'm not sure Maxus has it in her?  We'll see if the challenge can be met?

mtb - thanks -- it looks like using Trip 2 I actually may have photographic proof, it'll just take some math.  I reset Trip 1 and Trip 2 when I got the 13B07 upgrade, and have photos of both Trip 1 resets since then.

I just discovered last week that I've been sabotaging my MPG's by the way I've been driving and have found a way to consistently get 5-10MPG higher.  (Basically, it seems the C-Max is extremely efficient at 1/2 to 1-bar ICE burns on flat roads <50mph; I'd been preventing those by forcing it into EV -- I'll post separately after I've had a chance to play with it more).

When I first got the car, I thought 600 would be a stretch.  Then, as I've learned the car and as it has broken in, 700 became a reality, and I'm not even trying very hard.  Of course, having this be my second hybrid probably helped, and the weather in Boston has been perfect.  But I'm sure, if you want to, you can at least get 650, in time.

I'm starting to seriously question the accuracy of the "smart" gauges ...

The previous fill up I did, I know for sure I filled the tank to the top - didn't over fill, but I couldn't put another drop of gas in the tank for sure.  I just put a little less than 650 miles in, and the "smart" gauge said it had consumed 12.39 gallons of gas, and was showing that the tank was empty, with ZERO miles left to empty.  So I stopped to put gas in the car, even though in the back of my mind I was saying "13.4 gallon capacity, 12.39 gallons used - I've still got a gallon left in the tank".  BUT the red colored gas pump and constant reminders saying ZERO miles to empty had me kind of spooked.

Here's why I'm now questioning the accuracy of the gauges ... any guesses how many gallons of gas went into the tank when I stopped??   That's right ... 13.4 GALLONS!  I'm feeling awfully lucky that I did stop for gas, instead of figuring I'd make it home - with no gas stations between where I stopped and home!  Worse case - I could have been 15 miles from a gas station in one point of that drive.

Is anyone else noticing significant differences between what's reported on the Trip computers and what you're putting into the tank?

I'm starting to seriously question the accuracy of the "smart" gauges ...

The previous fill up I did, I know for sure I filled the tank to the top - didn't over fill, but I couldn't put another drop of gas in the tank for sure.  I just put a little less than 650 miles in, and the "smart" gauge said it had consumed 12.39 gallons of gas, and was showing that the tank was empty, with ZERO miles left to empty.  So I stopped to put gas in the car, even though in the back of my mind I was saying "13.4 gallon capacity, 12.39 gallons used - I've still got a gallon left in the tank".  BUT the red colored gas pump and constant reminders saying ZERO miles to empty had me kind of spooked.

Here's why I'm now questioning the accuracy of the gauges ... any guesses how many gallons of gas went into the tank when I stopped??   That's right ... 13.4 GALLONS!  I'm feeling awfully lucky that I did stop for gas, instead of figuring I'd make it home - with no gas stations between where I stopped and home!  Worse case - I could have been 15 miles from a gas station in one point of that drive.

Is anyone else noticing significant differences between what's reported on the Trip computers and what you're putting into the tank?

The CMAX tank holds 14gal which I have run out once and almost once and put 14gal. in it. you could have gone another 25mi, Darn! LOL I have had Smart Gauge say 13.5gal. too.   Paul

Ok, here we go, here's my disaster of an entry into the 700+ Mile Club.

I accidentally reset my Trip 1 a couple days ago, as I was approaching 700.  But, fortunately, I have enough photos that I'm able to account for the entire tank (minus a 0.9 mi gap between Trip1 and Trip2 resets -- close enough, I hope).

Photos are here:  (Link to the photos because it's large)

So, here's the deal:

0. At ODO 1530.5mi, I reset Trip2.

1. At ODO 1561.4mi, I took a photo of Trip2, and then 0.9mi later, at 1562.3mi I reset Trip1.

2. At ODO 2163.3mi, I took a photo of Trip1 and reset it

3. At ODO 2792.3mi, I took a photo of Trip1 and reset it

4. At ODO 3493.0mi, I took a photo of Trip2 -- this is my 700+mi tank.

So, by subtracting 1, 2, and 3 from #4, I can give you exactly what the last tank was (minus 0.9mi, we'll be conservative and assume worst case that I used zero fuel for that).

Time: 84:18:42 - 24:44:14 - 22:42:03 - 00:42:54 = 36:09:31

Distance: 3493.0mi - 2792.3mi = 700.7mi

EV: 1163.1mi - 347.4mi - 327.0mi - 10.4mi - 0.9mi = 477.4mi EV

Gallons: 39.57 - 13.01 - 12.44 - 0.66 = 13.46gal

MPG: 700.7mi / 13.46gal = 52.06mpg

Tada.  Let me know if there are any questions or if I screwed up my math somewhere.  Onward to 800 :)

(Edited 9/26 to add EV)

Edited by CMax-Traveler

600+ done deal. :happy feet:  :drop:   Drove around for the last 20 miles in a big loop around my neighborhood since it is pretty much flat at about 300 ft above sea level, all while packing the 2 gallon gas can in the back seat.  Was almost surreal those last 20 miles with how quiet the Max ran.  I shut off everything including A/C and the radio which might rob me of reaching the 600 mile mark.  I got a little unnerved after I reached the point where the screen continuously read 0 miles to empty.  From then I just kept monitoring the trip 1 screen to see what my gallons consumed was.  Once I got to 12 gallons I knew I was close to having nothing left or so I thought.  As the photo indicates I ran through 12.58 gallons and never ran out of power to the ICE.  But because I had reached the 602 mark I pulled into the gas station for refill.  Now I start working on the next goal I'm setting for 650miles, if I can do that I should be able to reach 700miles.

After I hit 585miles I concentrated on making sure I did everything perfect to try and always score a 100% on braking.  This helped me to keep my battery level at least at 50% in case I ran out of gas power.  At one point around 593 miles it seemed I had no control over the batterys falling below 60%, but suddenly they were back up around 70% and I breathed easier.

fba62192-2d9e-45da-9a60-b51e579c64b1_zps    2a67bba9-1903-470f-9a57-0bae434f4afa_zps    e1803aea-0d6b-403a-899d-42ac5a56beb8_zps    IMG_0777_zpsb6b967fa.jpg?t=1379982510