600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Well folks, it looks like my goal of 700+ is done for the season :(  The weather has cooled off rapidly over the last week.  Fall has certainly arrived in Baltimore.  Hoping for a new best tank with about 200 miles to go, but I fear I will likely fall short with these 45 degree mornings and 50 degree evenings.  Oh well, there is always next year :rockon:

sorry for the photo problems, I'm still sorting out this process of attaching photo's to my threads using Photo Bucket.  They are either too big or too small.  These are all resized to 320 x 240

IMG_0783_zpse3a3591d.jpg?t=1380079531IMG_0777_zpsb6b967fa.jpg?t=1380068910IMG_0781_zpsa6ee7846.jpg?t=1380031786

Good job, I said you would make it and in fact I believe you could have made 650mi.  How many gal. did it take to fill up? Paul

Edited by ptjones

13.1gals, that was before I topped it to the nearest dollar.  My receipt says 13.813 gals

That is interesting that you were able to stuff .7gal, the most I've able to stuff in is .5gal. You should have ran out of gas so you could find out how big your tank is. It sounds like it might be bigger than mine.  Paul

That is interesting that you were able to stuff .7gal, the most I've able to stuff in is .5gal. You should have ran out of gas so you could find out how big your tank is. It sounds like it might be bigger than mine.  Paul

While running the tank to empty to verify fuel capacity sounds like a good idea, I can assure you it's not.

The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that runs through it. Allowing the pump to run dry will shorten it's lifespan

and will also cause extended cranking after the vehicle has been parked for long periods. Like overnight or even

as short as 2 to 3 hours. Pumps aren't designed to be run dry and often fail prematurely from this type of abuse.

While running the tank to empty to verify fuel capacity sounds like a good idea, I can assure you it's not.

The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that runs through it. Allowing the pump to run dry will shorten it's lifespan

and will also cause extended cranking after the vehicle has been parked for long periods. Like overnight or even

as short as 2 to 3 hours. Pumps aren't designed to be run dry and often fail prematurely from this type of abuse.

When I ran my tank dry, the engine just stopped and I EVd to the gas station and immediately put fuel in the tank. When I restarted, the engine started immediately with no cranking. The purpose of running my tank dry was to see how far it would stretch and find out the exact capacity of the tank when refueling. It is only necessary to do this once...and I am not recommending that running your tank dry should be done with every tank of fuel. IMO I believe the fuel pump shuts off when the ICE shuts off so I don't see a problem here.

When I ran my tank dry, the engine just stopped and I EVd to the gas station and immediately put fuel in the tank. When I restarted, the engine started immediately with no cranking. The purpose of running my tank dry was to see how far it would stretch and find out the exact capacity of the tank when refueling. It is only necessary to do this once...and I am not recommending that running your tank dry should be done with every tank of fuel. IMO I believe the fuel pump shuts off when the ICE shuts off so I don't see a problem here.

Your thinking is backwards. The ICE shut off because the fuel supply stopped.  The problem is running the pump dry.

The pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel it pumps. You don't understand pump design and have no idea what type

of damage doing this will cause. Pumps have a bushing in the end plate. The pump itself is a hybrid plastic. Heat is the enemy.

Most current day pumps run about 7000 RPM. Without lubrication, they'll smoke out pretty fast. As the fuel level in the tank

drops below the body of the pump, it will start to run hot. The pump modules are designed to keep the pump submersed

in fuel. Running it dry is a fools game, but I'm sure you know better than all the Ford engineers that designed it.

So keep giving bad advise on something you don't understand. DON'T RUN YOUR TANKS DRY!

Edited by drdiesel1

My Service Manager is checking with Ford to determine the pump's actual operation.  The first go around is that the pump stops when system is pressurized or when the ICE isn't running for a few seconds. As soon as air enters the pump, the pump loses pressure and ICE stops and then the pump stops.  The fuel pump is on at most a few seconds without lubrication and cooling.

As soon as I get a firm response from my Service Manager who is talking directly to Ford, I will pass along the information. I never said I knew better than the Ford engineers that designed it and I'll let them confirm how things work. :love_shower: Paul

This would be my first attempt (newb).   Tomorrow I will have two 20 mile commutes which usually register .3 gals each.  DTE is all ready at ZERO!   Should I go for it?   :headscratch:  :confused:

Only if you have a 2 gal gas can "just in case". Looking forward to welcoming you to the 600 club! Paul

My Service Manager is checking with Ford to determine the pump's actual operation.  The first go around is that the pump stops when system is pressurized or when the ICE isn't running for a few seconds. As soon as air enters the pump, the pump loses pressure and ICE stops and then the pump stops.  The fuel pump is on at most a few seconds without lubrication and cooling.

As soon as I get a firm response from my Service Manager who is talking directly to Ford, I will pass along the information. I never said I knew better than the Ford engineers that designed it and I'll let them confirm how things work. :love_shower: Paul

I already gave you the information.  The fuel pump runs to keep the ICE running. No fuel from the pump equals no ICE operation.

post-1464-0-44586900-1380252325_thumb.jpg