Improve the CMax? Your thoughts...

Jus-A-CMax

Let your voice be heard about the improving the CMax!  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see improved in the C-Max?

• MPG performance in the cold
    • MPG performance - other, please elaborate
    • My Ford Touch
    • Interior layout, details & finish
    • Exterior paneling, styling, color, finish, mirrors
    • Wheels / Tires
    • Rear Liftgate
    • Electronics (non MFT), Battery
    • FOB / Remote Start
    • Other - please state.

So far our C-Max has been living longer at the dealer than in our driveway.  We are now members of the C-Max Dead battery club. - Battery and Charger system failed with no warning displayed.

MUST ADD TO INSTRUMENT PANEL ON LEFT SIDE:

12. V system voltage GAUGE display.  I have to buy a volt meter so that I can monitor this critical detail when the battery charger system fails.  I am getting a $3 meter from Amazon to plug into the 12 V socket.  

Coolant Temperature gauge is REQUIRED.  No problems yet but if we drive in Las Vegas I would like to see how the system is working.

Currently the C-Max battery alarm only works when the battery voltage fall to 12 V or the battery is about to die in 10 seconds.

So far our C-Max has been living longer at the dealer than in our driveway.  We are now members of the C-Max Dead battery club. - Battery and Charger system failed with no warning displayed.

12. V system voltage GAUGE display.  I have to buy a volt meter so that I can monitor this critical detail when the battery charger system fails.  I am getting a $3 meter from Amazon to plug into the 12 V socket.  

Coolant Temperature gauge is REQUIRED.  No problems yet but if we drive in Las Vegas I would like to see how the system is working.

Currently the C-Max battery alarm only works when the battery voltage fall to 12 V or the battery is about to die in 10 seconds.

I own the Energi, but I think most of the screens are similar. Does the left side display have a "MyView"? If so, the temperature guage can be configured as one of the two displays in MyView.

Concur on the need for a voltage guage, maybe in the same MyView location.

Enable the on-board Diagnostics screens to view the 12-volt battery voltage by holding the left steering-wheel OK button when you turn on the ignition.

post-1940-0-90085000-1405401886_thumb.jpg

Use the up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the screens.

To exit Diagnostic screens, turn off the car. Diagnostics screens do cover the usual left-side displays.

If you start the car ("Ready-to-Drive") the display will show 13+ volts.

Edited by kostby

Here's one from Amazon for less than $3.00 with free shipping if you are a Prime member which I recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Digital-Voltmeter-Vehicle-Voltage/dp/B00962CQNC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414538993&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+voltage+meter

Just remember it draws 2 mA whenever it is plugged in! Not a lot, but I would remove it when not in use.

• 9 months later...

As a new Cmax driver, I agree with several others that the stitching on steering wheel is rough and sharp. After several turns today --- yeowch!  Is it wool? I know my skin does not like wool, so I'm wondering if those of us who noted this as an issue are doing so because we grip the inside of the wheel more than others, or if it's a wool issue.

Also agree with the lumbar support suggestion. (In addition, an adjustment for depth of the seat would be helpful for the those of us on the petite side).

New request (unless I missed it in all the posts): 

Option to change the volume of the turn signal -- in such a quiet cabin the turn signal sounds so LOUD!

And if you're chatting on the speakerphone as you are driving along... well, try not to turn.

Edited by Red

I'd love to see the options that are available on the Fusion -- things like cross traffic alert/blind spot monitoring, Adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, etc. It would also be nice if cooled seats were an option. A bit more storage in the front seat area would also be nice; for example, perhaps an area for a cell phone with an inductive charge pad.

I'd like to have the 3rd(?) generation C-Max body from Europe, with what I feel is a better looking front end. At the same time, maybe base the C-Max hybrid off of the Grand C-Max; which largely means having an extra 5-6" in length (and maybe the sliding rear doors, but that isn't required). We could have less of a battery "bump" in back, likely with even a larger battery pack.

Last, though this may have been partially fixed in newer C-Maxes, I'd like to see the C-Max better handle transmission temperature; in particular, it would be nice to have an electric oil pump, like the Energi.

For the most part I'm very happy with the C-Max and really don't want much in the way of drastic changes.

As a new Cmax driver, I agree with several others that the stitching on steering wheel is rough and sharp. After several turns today --- yeowch!  Is it wool? I know my skin does not like wool, so I'm wondering if those of us who noted this as an issue are doing so because we grip the inside of the wheel more than others, or if it's a wool issue.

The slightly rough join on the steering wheel gets "sanded off" after 6-12 months of driving. 

Over-loud turn signals?  Give me a break.....

Edited by Adrian_L

Maybe it's just us females with bionic hearing? I told my husband that the loud signal was the one thing that bothered me during the test drive --- but it didn't bother him. My daughter was in the backseat yesterday when I took her to camp (her second ride in the car), and she asked me why the signal was so crazy loud.

(ETA: How hard would it be to add volume control to it?  The sound seems to come out of a speaker tucked somewhere inside the dash. And for those who might want a young child to easily take a nap in the otherwise very quiet car, the loud signal could be viewed as baby-unfriendly). 

Edited by Red

I wonder if 2015 has a louder signal sound, I don't even hear mine(2013) very much at all. I will ask my wife what she thinks. ;)

Well I asked my wife and she doesn't think it is loud, but maybe they make them loud for old people who can't hear. I'm sure she was referring  to me.LOL :lol2:

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I think I read in some other Ford thread that the cars don't use a relay anymore (but can't find that page again).

That said, I did find something interesting in a Ford Fusion hybrid thread:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9671-system-sounds-changed-audio-tones-for-alerts-backup-assist-turn-signals-etc/?do=findComment&comment=92350

Posted by Riggo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

I notice that If I turn the car on and have the back up or front sensor beep going off while I pull out, all of the radio/panel/touch screen beeps will be much louder for the rest of the trip. If I start the car and have no sensors go off while pulling out, all of the beeps will be soothing quiet for the remainder of the trip. I am not sure if this is what you are talking about or not though. 
It's definitely annoying when the beeps are loud though. I figure it is just some glitch the cars have.

So, today, the signal noise didn't seem as loud -- but I did have the radio on, and windows open most of the trip. I didn't use my reverse sensor today, but the day my daughter commented on the volume of the signal, I had done a K-turn in the driveway before we left for camp, and the reverse sensor went off as I backed up near our tree.

I'll start a new thread if this changes from a request into an experiment...

Edited by Red

On our 2013 SE you can barely hear it. When we had the rental Which was a 2015 Ford focus it was so loud we thought about not using it and using the old arm signals instead. So the turn signals maybe very on the cars. In some of our other cars the turn signal didn't always shut off my hearing not as good as it once was but my wife is there to make sure it's off with a comment our a punch in the arm. Lol

• 11 months later...

The shifter gets in the way of my hand on long trips, a paddle shift would be nice. The ability to move things to the right screen, usually I leave it on nav and just ignore it. A armrest on the door. Last but not least more adjustment on the passenger seat.

+1 on folding front seats!

Car manufacturers seem quite blind to "borrowing" great innovations like that from one another. I suppose it's a cross-licensing or patents issue.

My 2003 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) has been my 'truck' for years because the front passenger seat-back folds completely flat forward toward the dash.

I've put three 8'x30" folding-leg banquet tables inside tilted on edge, or a folded 16' extension ladder completely inside the Vibe with the hatch closed.

The front passenger seat-back also features a hard plastic 'desk' surface when folded, not ideally positioned, but OK for occasional laptop use or writing out forms longhand from the driver's seat.