iPhone 5 music and sync

I finally downloaded some music to my iPhone 5 and tried to get it to play in the car. Phone is paired with the car and does calls just fine. I tried to get the music to play through the bluetooth, no luck. I plugged the phone into the USB. Sync recognized the phone, the phone recognized that it was plugged into something else but still no music,. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks!

We were cautioned by the dealer not to plug an IPhone into the USB connection. Evidently the Microsoft Car and Apple USB don't play well together. He said that things will tend to lock up after a few weeks.

I had no problem getting mine to play via Bluetooth.  I already had my phone paired. I just went to the bluetooth selection on the car screen.  However, I found that the play-pause stuff didn't work real well.   I controlled the music off of my phone.

Candidly, with Sirius, I've not had much need to use the IPhone for music.

We were cautioned by the dealer not to plug an IPhone into the USB connection. Evidently the Microsoft Car and Apple USB don't play well together. He said that things will tend to lock up after a few weeks.

I had no problem getting mine to play via Bluetooth.  I already had my phone paired. I just went to the bluetooth selection on the car screen.  However, I found that the play-pause stuff didn't work real well.   I controlled the music off of my phone.

Only if Sirius fits the listening choices, when for me it does not - so will stick with my 1TB usb drive and after the free Sirius runs out will not pay the subscription

Where is this caution about the iphone and the sync system, have never seen nor heard of it

I finally downloaded some music to my iPhone 5 and tried to get it to play in the car. Phone is paired with the car and does calls just fine. I tried to get the music to play through the bluetooth, no luck. I plugged the phone into the USB. Sync recognized the phone, the phone recognized that it was plugged into something else but still no music,. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks!

To play it over Bluetooth: Pull the voice paddle and say "Bluetooth Audio." You can do this even if you are charging it over USB. 

To play it over USB: Plug it into the USB jack. Pull the voice paddle and say "USB."

You can then control playback either from the phone or by using Sync voice commands.

(I'm sure you can find the Bluetooth Audio and USB options in a menu somewhere too, I just find voice commands easier.)

Re the other comment, I have an iphone and I've had no problems. However, Apple apparently didn't comply with some industry standards, which cripples some features vs. using an Android smartphone. For instance, if you have an SE, the Applink feature (which lets you control certain smartphone apps with voice commands) only works if the app is already started and the phone is plugged into USB. Similarly, text message readout/reply on the SEL doesn't work properly with the iPhone.

Edited by HotPotato

Both my wife and I have both our iPhones plugged into the USB port near the shifter all the time.  Been doing this ever since I bought the CMax back in September of 2012.  Also my music plays just fine through the speakers when plugged to USB.

Edited by mtb9153

• 2 weeks later...

I have an iPhone 4s and it works fine to call and receive calls via Bluetooth. Don't use it for music. But cannot get the "read text" feature to work...get the text on the phone, but not on the car. Called Sync CS and was told it won't work...Apple phones are not working to support this feature (and I guess other features as well). 

All have this experience?

• 10 months later...

I've had numerous problems with Sync connecting to my iphone 4 (version 6.1.3). Sync locks up and won't connect to the phone one time and then the next time it will recognize the phone. Had the computer rebooted and updated software several times at the dealership.

Recent big problem is playing music from the iphone via bluetooth. It starts out fine, then "pauses" on the sync screen, but continues to play on the iphone. I hit "play" on the sync screen and it picks up the song where it is on the iphone, but constantly drops the bluetooth signal.

The dealership wanted me to update to version 7 claiming to be a phone software issue, but I only have a 8gb on the phone and Verizon does not recommend updating to v7 for my phone. The phone plays music great, so I honestly doubt that it is the problem. Haven't tried connecting via the USB, but then several in the forum are recommending against that. I think the problem is with the sync's bluetooth software. Any suggestions?

I never got the warning and have been plugging my iPhone (4S with iOS 5.X) into the USB a few times a day since mid November and haven't had any issues with MFT at all.  As in zero.  I got the MFT because I'd used sync without it and it made me crazy.  I figured that it might be flaky, but they'd probably get it worked out.  I've been pleasantly surprised that it does exactly what it's supposed to do and doesn't do anything flaky.  I try Sirius once in a while, but it never holds my attention very long.