If you don't have the factory nav, you can't get turn by turn directions. You USED to be able to. Ford used to have what they called 'Sync Services' where it could dial out via your phone to an IVR/automated phone system where you can ask for directions to a business/address/etc and it would pull turn by turn directions down over the voice channel (like an old school dialup modem) and the car would then take over. Didn't require any onboard maps or anything. This existed way back in the original Sync 1 platform back in 2008+. But they've deprecated that feature and there's no replacement. In fact you should be able to use the 'Services' voice command and it will try to dial out but you'll get a message saying it no longer exists and hangs up.

What model year do you have? 2013-2015 model years with Sync 2 (if you have the 8" touch screen system) can be 'hacked' to add navigation. 2016+ years with Sync 3 you need new hardware to add navigation. Though on those, you do have the option to use Android Auto/CarPlay. Which brings me to an additional point: If you have the factory 8" Sync 2 system on a 2013-2015 model, they can be easily upgraded to Sync 3 and the upgrade is 99% plug and play. People sell full pre-programmed kits all over. I paid about $700 all in and I got factory navigation as well.

The vehicle does include a GPS receiver regardless of whether you have nav or not. This is needed for other features like 911 assist and the EV+ feature you noted. It would have also been used for the Sync Services feature I mentioned above. It's also able to be used to sync the clock and do auto timezone adjustment if you have that enabled.

Edited by cr08

On 7/20/2022 at 11:25 AM, cr08 said:

The vehicle does include a GPS receiver .... It's also able to be used to sync the clock and do auto timezone adjustment if you have that enabled.

I would love to know how to "sync the clock" on my 2013 SEL.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:35 PM, Bill-N said:

I would love to know how to "sync the clock" on my 2013 SEL.

Easy: Go into the clock screen (for Sync 2, you should simply be able to tap the clock at the top of the screen on any page) and you'll find a button that'll say to Reset or Sync to GPS time. Same on Sync 3 systems as well.

On 7/28/2022 at 12:14 AM, homestead said:

Looked at my 2013 Hybrid and that symbol is missing too and I have the latest 3.10 for sync 2.

Maybe only Energi?

Nope. That should be universal across Ford models. And best I can tell with numerous screenshots I'm seeing, it's there on vehicles like the non-HEV Escapes and F-150's just on the ones I'm immediately seeing. Can either of you confirm the version numbers you have listed on your System Information screen? I've also double checked Cyanlabs' AsBuilt DB for Sync 2 and don't see anything that could possibly cause this to not be displayed there.

Reason I mention this is I have seen this brought up a number of times on other forums/groups concerning the C-Max where people were missing some key features like the power flow and/or Value Charge/Go Times screens and the telltale signs were missing either the leaf icon or that 'i' icon at the bottom and were all confirmed to have ancient versions of Sync that were never updated.

Dumb question, but did you do this update yourself and do you know what version it was upgraded from?

The only other possibility I can think of down this line is there was a certain point in the Sync 2 version history where a dealer needed to be involved to do a low level update that can't be done via the normal USB flash drive process to move forward. It was my original understanding that you couldn't even do those USB flash drive updates without that dealer step but that may be wrong. If it is possible to do one without the other there's a likely chance, much like module calibration levels, that the low level dealer update adds these specific functions that the main software/OS needs for them to work.

That's all I can think of right now. To the best of my current knowledge these two features (GPS clock sync and that 'i' icon at the bottom of the screen) are not a vehicle specific thing. The 'i' icon if memory serves had some vehicle agnostic stuff like access to the old vehicle health report function and some other non-hybrid/plug-in related stuff.

I did manage to find an old photo I had taken from mine back in 2018 when I still had Sync 2/MFT installed. This would have been with the 3.10 release as well.

20190116_150401.jpg

Edited by cr08

I updated it myself from 3.08 to 3.10 so as you say the difference may be a firmware upgrade that hasn't been done.

This was about the time Ford turned off the ability to download the latest version off the Ford website.

Ford said if you want 3.10 go to a ford dealer but I downloaded it off the internet and it installed with any issues.

Edited by homestead