Ford C-Max 2013 Hybrid (not the plug-in)

I can't find any consistent information about what will happen when the hybrid battery pack goes bad. The car is 10 years old, 90,000 miles on it. According to most articles, I'm past the battery life and if I want to keep the car, i can replace the batteries for about $6000.  

The question is, will the car run without the batteries functioning? How much warning will I get that the batteries are failing? Do I just need to keep checking the gauges and see how well it's charging and running in electric mode, or will there be some kind of warning light? The dealer mechanics are in the dark --- they have never seen a 10-year old hybrid. I've done a chat with Ford Motor, and they couldn't answer the questions. They might get back to me later if they can locate someone that can answer these questions.

This is really a sad state of affairs. We're pushing electric and hybrid models, but no one seems to have any training in their maintenance.

thank you.

As a layman with little mechanical or electrical knowledge, the HVB is used to actually start the ICE via the electric motor to the best of my understanding. A no-start condition with a good 12V battery & good 12V circuit will be either the HVB or the ICE/electric controller, again to the best of my understanding. As the owner of a 2013 SEL non-energi also my car shows HVB battery shows usage & charge as I drive via dashboard graphics. According to what I understand, most if not all HV batteries [Ford, Toyota, & others] operate best & longest when charge is maintained between 20% to 80%. On a regular hybrid, this is done by on-board computers and should call for little or no driver input. I have read of a few HVBs that failed on their own [different makers], but some have failed partially because of drivers continued over-under charging. For me, I'm just going to drive normal & let the computer control take care of the HVB & worry about it when or if it happens next week at 120K or years from now at 200K. I'm sure others can chime in with better knowledge. Thanks for the read.

For a hybrid/non-Energi model I wouldn't worry. The battery should last the life of the car. They aren't stressed nearly as bad as the Energi models.

As nogoodbum mentioned, the HVB is responsible for starting the ICE and the hybrid system is crucial to vehicle operation. IF (and that's a big if on hybrid models) the HVB fails, the car will be undriveable. You will get clear warnings and error codes if this happens.

One thing that may be worth doing on early model years for a hybrid vehicle at least is disable the EV+ function. This is up to you though. The premise for this is EV+ allows it to discharge the HVB much deeper than normal when approaching a repeat destination (like home or work) in order to try and get you the rest of the way on EV only. With the way these batteries behave it means that while you end up arriving home with one charge level, once the battery settles and cools down, the SOC will actually drop further on its own. It's rare, but some have reported this discharging it enough that the vehicle would not start and a dealer needed to be involved. Energi models fare better here because of the plug-in aspect.

Edited by cr08

After complaining about no response from Ford, I finally received this:

".....My name is Priciliana, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I am reaching out to you today regarding your questions concerning your C-Max battery.
Your 2013 Ford C-Max should not be running without the battery. While the engine will operate without the battery needed, the vehicle was designed with the use of the engine and battery in mind to be as efficient as possible. If there is a concern with the hybrid battery operation, it is recommended you visit your servicing dealership to have the vehicle diagnosed....".

I interpret this as meaning I can indefinitely use the car as a gas-only. It may not be efficient, but it will cost less than $6000 (price of battery pack) to keep the car running for years.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:16 PM, retiredtraveler said:

After complaining about no response from Ford, I finally received this:

".....My name is Priciliana, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I am reaching out to you today regarding your questions concerning your C-Max battery.
Your 2013 Ford C-Max should not be running without the battery. While the engine will operate without the battery needed, the vehicle was designed with the use of the engine and battery in mind to be as efficient as possible. If there is a concern with the hybrid battery operation, it is recommended you visit your servicing dealership to have the vehicle diagnosed....".

I interpret this as meaning I can indefinitely use the car as a gas-only. It may not be efficient, but it will cost less than $6000 (price of battery pack) to keep the car running for years.

This is incorrect and they have given you false information. The vehicle will not run if the high voltage traction battery is 'dead', ie: The vehicle finds it has degraded enough that it cannot rely on at all.

For one simple fact: There is no traditional starter motor on these. The ICE/engine is started via the hybrid system which relies on the HVB to be operational. Without it, there's no way for the vehicle to even start the ICE.

That said: Per my post above, I wouldn't worry about the HVB dying in a hybrid model C-Max. It's likely going to last the life of the car. It doesn't have the same wear/degradation concerns as the plug-in/Energi models do.

Edited by cr08