Driving like a reg car?

RachelnLa

Does anyone just drive their car like a regular car? If so, what kind of numbers are you getting??

Reason being, I brought my son to work today and drove the car like a regular car. Most driving was interstate and going 70mph. I was shocked when I got home and saw this!

42.5!

8600782145_15dd287abb_n.jpg

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93484805@N07/8600782145/]

Yeah, I did that last Tuesday, driving Asia home from practice. I don't remember the #s but I was really impressed! I drove like a regular car, passed people, accelerated on the on ramps....all the usual stuff and still got really great mileage. Cool, huh?

Tomorrow will be another chance.....driving in to A2 for practice. It will be in the high 20's on the way in and maybe 40+ on the way home.

Stay tuned.....

Edited by Adair

Ya, Rachel, I haven't done many steady highway trips yet, but with the ones I have done, mileage has stayed healthy when driving above the EV line (63mph/100km/h) - still not what I might expect in warm temperatures but not worse than city/hwy I am getting in the cold.

With Empower view, I notice that after the battery is charged fully, there is some "battery assist" (battery discharging like EV) intermittently

When we get to Michigan, it would be good to ask the design folks a little more about this.  Maybe this has been covered on some other threads already (where?).

I drive mine like a normal car about 90% of the time.  When I am creeping through a parking lot, I might pay more attention to the EV to keep it from engaging.  I did the different techniques to try and get better MPG for a bit, but I found that the savings weren't worth the hassle to me.  I am also not the lightest foot around and I like my HVAC system.  When I purchased the car, I knew that I would not get the EPA numbers.  I have never gotten EPA numbers on any of my cars.  I said to myself back then that I would be happy with 38MPG because that would be double my last vehicle (2011 Explorer).  Needless to say, I am thrilled with the numbers that I am getting now.  I am over the mark I wanted to be.  With the temps coming up now, I am frequently seeing 50+ MPG trips :)

Yep, the CMax is very capable of delivering some NICE MPGs at speeds at > 65mph...with the battery high, the ICE High MPG will give you great > 40MPG numbers with the econ-cruise on. Thats a nice little secret that Ford buried that was unearthed. It also dependent on temps as well, throw in a nice tail wind...who knows. One thing though, ICE High MPG will always burn gas (it 100% ICE after all) but P&G will do a combo - its up to the driver to determine what it better and how fast you need to get to your destination.

:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Does anyone just drive their car like a regular car? If so, what kind of numbers are you getting??

Reason being, I brought my son to work today and drove the car like a regular car. Most driving was interstate and going 70mph. I was shocked when I got home and saw this!

42.5!

8600782145_15dd287abb_n.jpg

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93484805@N07/8600782145/]

Go Rachel, nice job

SPEED camera's and RED light camera's and all I have just re-adjusted my dribving habits and I have NO FEAR of Smokey anymore and I just drive gently. I drove a rental car last week in Boston and was in a hurry to catch an earlier flight home, drove in the left lane at speed and was NOT comfortable at all there.....call that the C Max effect :)

I've been driving at freeway speeds (65 - 70) and been getting 40's easily.  One 37 mile trip I clocked 52 MPG.  I've come to believe my low mileage this winter was due to temperature.  I am going to try wind breaks for the grill next winter.

When the ICE is running at speeds greater than 63 MPH with the battery fully charged, though the dash doesn't show it, I've got to believe the EV is helping out some way.  I see the dynamic MPG bounce from just below 40 to mid 40's.  Seems to me that the car is tuned to about 70 MPH.  Another clue is the battery always shows about 3/4 full when driving at freeway speeds for long distances - something is using the battery.  When the car is cold and the ICE is running all the time to heat the car the battery will show 100% colored with even darker colors.  

If the Michigan party happens this summer I would love for the Ford engineers to explain the power split algorithms that are at work. These hybrids are by far the most sophisticated cars on the road.  I can't believe Ford is making much money on the C-Max.  At least not compared to the F-150s.