3.5.1......Anyone? Anyone?

What does calibrating the touch screen accomplish or change?

It matches finger press position with what is displayed.

Longer answer:  Finger press is translated into X-Y screen coordinates, usually in pixels.  The software has to determine what was displayed at that position in order to know what action is intended.  Calibrating gets things "lined-up" in software land.

How do I even check to see what version software I have?  I went inside my screen's settings and found this under system Information...

Serial Number XP8Z19PF

CCPU S/W Version 4.27.12058_Product

Map Database Version A3

NAV Application Version 2.15.17

I have an appointment at my dealer on Tuesday the 4th to have the outstanding field service actions performed.  I wish that would get me 3.5.1 update but I don't expect that it will?

My build date is September 2013

How do I even check to see what version software I have?  I went inside my screen's settings and found this under system Information...

Serial Number XP8Z19PF

Map Database Version A3

I have an appointment at my dealer on Tuesday the 4th to have the outstanding field service actions performed.  I wish that would get me 3.5.1 update but I don't expect that it will?

Check out http://syncmyride.com.  It should have the current version listed.  I was under the understanding that the 3.5.1 update was an FSA.

Serial Number XP8Z19PF

Map Database Version A3

https://www.etis.ford.com

Go there with your VIN # and it will tell you what updates you are eligible for.

What does calibrating the touch screen accomplish or change?

For most people I should think nothing really. But if you touch your screen in one place and the system thinks you touched it in another. Calibrating the screen might solve the problem.

Also, as ceemax71 stated in his post, your radio will need to be on FM.

I picked my car up today after having the update installed. I'm a little suspicious because I saw that my car was driven 9 miles and the lights were turned from automatic to the off position. There may be legitimate reasons for these things but I can't help wonder if anyone else noticed their mileage before and after taking their car in. They also messed up my lifetime mileage. Before taking it in it was 43.5 and now it's 42.8. So far I'm very happy with the update. I really like the black wallpaper.

If you have the "911 Assist" option enabled, it would be critical to have accurate coordinates. 

I would consider it a safety issue, as well.

Mobile 911 is set up to automatically get the coordinates reported by your phone, which is based on the signal strength of nearby cellphone towers plus its GPS if so equipped. I would be surprised if the car's GPS comes into play at all on the 911 assist. 

I picked my car up today after having the update installed. I'm a little suspicious because I saw that my car was driven 9 miles and the lights were turned from automatic to the off position. There may be legitimate reasons for these things but I can't help wonder if anyone else noticed their mileage before and after taking their car in. They also messed up my lifetime mileage. Before taking it in it was 43.5 and now it's 42.8. So far I'm very happy with the update. I really like the black wallpaper.

"Black wallpaper"--is that the black screen of death?  Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not?  Wonder why they put 9 gas guzzling miles on your car?  I'm full of questions LOL. If we ever get notification of the upgrade in Canada, I will check my mileage before and after I take it in.

"Black wallpaper"--is that the black screen of death?  Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not?  Wonder why they put 9 gas guzzling miles on your car?  I'm full of questions LOL. If we ever get notification of the upgrade in Canada, I will check my mileage before and after I take it in.

Here's what I'm using for my wallpaper:

hal9000_wallpaper_sept_2010_by_doomguy10

After a failed attempt yesterday, the 3.5.1 upgrade and the associated firmware upgrade to make it possible was completed, along with the rear hatch improvement Have all the new goodies in the screen, and it appears more responsive. Will test tomorrow if it solved my "no pausing USB-stick MP3 files" problem.

Unfortunately service didn't call us that it was finished at 1PM, and our Service Advisor was off, so my calls to him went unanswered, so it was past 5PM when we found out car was ready, which was a bit irrating.

Hopefully the firmware fix will allow us to make future software updates from home, as we've seen enough of the dealer to last a decade.

My update has been a massive failure. Car is still at the dealer, gonna be at least 3 days (5 counting weekend).

The tech claims the problem with this update is that it is an online update which streams live from ford over the Internet. If *anything* happens they have to *at least* restart (possibly more if it fails at the wrong time).

They said they have had problems with Ford servers too, which don't help the situation.

That said I am not exactly confident in the tech or the dealer because they have not exactly been doing a super job nor have they been exactly honest with me - so take their info in the context that they may be making excuses for their own issues.

Your lights were turned off because they probably didn't want them on while in the garage drawing voltage from the computer system.

They need to idle the motor a bit in the garage and also probably do a test drive. That would explain the 9 miles and the lost fuel economy.

My update has been a massive failure. Car is still at the dealer, gonna be at least 3 days (5 counting weekend).

The tech claims the problem with this update is that it is an online update which streams live from ford over the Internet. If *anything* happens they have to *at least* restart (possibly more if it fails at the wrong time).

They said they have had problems with Ford servers too, which don't help the situation.

That said I am not exactly confident in the tech or the dealer because they have not exactly been doing a super job nor have they been exactly honest with me - so take their info in the context that they may be making excuses for their own issues.

That's the same thing the service tech told me. He said the connection to Ford would get dropped midway the download. Kept doing that for 4 hours. Update was being done on Wednesday.

mtb,I think you meant a build date of 2012 not 2013. ;)

I got the 3.5.1. update yesterday, and all went fine with mine.  It also involved reprogramming the PCM and a new A4 nav card.  They had the car for maybe 3.5 hrs from dropoff to pickup, and they did a tire rotation and reprogrammed the rear kick hatch for the double-kick issue when the car is shut down for a length of time, now it works just fine too with one kick all the time.  I'm very happy.

That's the same thing the service tech told me. He said the connection to Ford would get dropped midway the download. Kept doing that for 4 hours. Update was being done on Wednesday.

My technician told me that the first one he did .......not a C-MAX but a Fusion, I think............ took 10 tries before it was successful. If they are in fact, downloading this from Ford, maybe that's why they are staggering the release to everyone.....to avoid a massive drain on the system. And they may not be used to people getting so much updated information from a forum like this, or having access to the FordEtis site. That *letter in the mail* thing is old school  :drop:

The wallpaper is the background screen that comes up when you tap the home icon in the lower center section of the screen.  Here's a picture of the black wallpaper.  It looks better in reality but this gives you an idea what I'm talking about.  I'll probably change it to some of the other wallpaper I have but for now it looks sophisticated.  

Your lights were turned off because they probably didn't want them on while in the garage drawing voltage from the computer system.

They need to idle the motor a bit in the garage and also probably do a test drive. That would explain the 9 miles and the lost fuel economy.

Thanks Valkraider.  I forgot that the car has to be running when the update is installed.  Their test drive must have been at 90 mph lol.

I went in with about 16 miles of EV range and when I got it back it was on the hybrid battery display at about 50%. I don't know how much "idling" uses in battery power in an hour, but it is either a lot or they went driving around, Ferris Bueller style, for quite a few miles!

As you can see, the list of installed software has greatly expanded in SyncMyRide after this update!

post-629-0-93186800-1370095115_thumb.jpg

And here's the summary of the second day of installation after I went to pick up the car on the first day and discovered the update wasn't working.

post-629-0-96056600-1370097598_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

check the SD card, make sure it is A4 and not A3

Haha, so here is what happened.

Aside from maybe the infrastructure problems with the over-the-net update, I had (have?) a huge problem with the dealer.

Firstly, the dealer didn't listen to me at all about the difficulties - and waited to start my car until 5 hours after we dropped it off. That explains the first night stay (also they never called us at all, so I had no warning and as such left my wife and daughter stranded in different aces waiting for a husband/father who would not be coming).

Day two they had the car half a day, called me in and I got the SD error.

They took the car back in the shop, I went back to work. They called me back a couple hours later and said it was fixed.

I go in and sure enough it's not giving me the SD error. Want to know why?

BECAUSE THEY NEVER DID THE UPDATE.

The reason it had the SD error was they put an A4 nav card in the car, but the MFT was still at 3.1.3. Their "fix" was to put an A3 nav card back in the car so the old MFT would stop complaining.

I was furious. I had a work log and receipt which stated they had done the update - but was looking at the original 3.1.3 screens.

I got out of the car and had them call the manager (this was Friday afternoon and he had already left for the day). I refused to move until he came in.

At this point I need to note that I am a contractor in my current job and I lose a lot of money when I have to leave, I am non exempt and lose hourly wages. So far dealing with this dealership issue alone has cost me over $200 in wages.

Several minutes later he (the manager) comes screeching into the parking lot, jumps out of his truck and angrily walks up to me.

We have a lengthy debate about customer service. Which devolves fairly quickly and he keeps telling me how his dealership is not Ford and he doesn't want me as a customer. He threatens to kick me off his lot and call the police.

FINALLY I convince him to take my paperwork back - the paperwork which says the update was completed - and talk with the tech and see what was done.

5 minutes later he comes back, meek and quiet. He apologizes profusely, and acknowledges his tech never did the work and lied in the paperwork. He also caught the service advisor in this one as well.

He gets a different guy on it, he says he is going to personally watch and quality control the entire process. He took me in his personal vehicle (a Nissan - not a Ford) to the car rental place. Had them give me an upgraded rental, wave all deposits, and pay for all of my gas. He said he would personally be dealing with me in the future and again was profusely apologizing the entire time.

Lets are how this plays out.

It looks like Ford *and* this dealership are great big balls of FAIL... But maybe the manager will make it right... We will see.

Day two they had the car half a day, called me in and I got the SD error.

They took the car back in the shop, I went back to work. They called me back a couple hours later and said it was fixed.

I go in and sure enough it's not giving me the SD error. Want to know why?

BECAUSE THEY NEVER DID THE UPDATE.

The reason it had the SD error was they put an A4 nav card in the car, but the MFT was still at 3.1.3. Their "fix" was to put an A3 nav card back in the car so the old MFT would stop complaining.

Great story, and very interesting. We took ours in at 7:30, came back at 3:30, and got it at 4:30. I get in and immediately get a SD Card error message. It had the A4 card, so they took the car back and an hour later said they needed to keep it overnight and off we went in a rental. Got home at 7PM.

But here's the interesting part. When I was looking at the error message on the screen I noticed the top of the screen was showing a single "--" where the time + temp should have been. I think this meant that on mine too the tech had not updated the software to 3.5.1, but probably only did the firmware update.

Clearly Ford techs need a firmware upgrade too!