3.5.1......Anyone? Anyone?

Watched my dealer struggle ALL DAY trying to install 3.51. System said it already had the latest software, but still showed 3.13. After numerous calls to Ford, they asked if a USB drive was installed. Yes, I had a MICRO USB thumb drive plugged in. Apparently this F...ed UP the entire process. Supposed to be ready tomorrow.... 

wish that was the reason for my screw up, easy fix.

They certainly do - I know, down here, the Galpin are very well train and their IT department is pretty big from what I gather. From a customer experience point of view - that tech would have been fired for this debacle as its completely embarassing and I don't see the dealership extending any help to mtb with a loaner in the interim.

I think this dealership is just lacking - sorry mtb to be so hard on your dealership but I hate to see you suffer due to allegance when you deserve better and you so much enjoy your Cmax.

Jus, in defense of the Tech he is only doing what the Dealership is allowing to happen by not setting up their server to run hardwired especially to the PC's which are delivering the firmware and software up[grades.  He in my conversation has his hands tied by the dealerships lack of giving him the proper tools to work with.  He can't do his job effectively because they aren't seeing a weakness in their infrastructure.  They need to update their system and tools to bring technology up to speed for these advanced cars.  The PC I saw didn't look like any brain buster or gaming level PC as I call anything with the ability to link up and work at light speed which would definitely be of help with these upgrades.  I haven't had a chance to check with other dealers yet but I'm not feeling too confident that other area dealers are much better off and up to speed where their download equipment is concerned.  I think the mentality of thinking everything should be hooked up wirelessly as the best direction to follow has put all owners locally into the same mess, but I'm only assuming at this point.

Edited by mtb9153

No worries mtb, hope they fix it for you soon and keep us updated. Like I said, this debacle is the last thing you need with your recent poor MPG issues. hang in there...

Jus doing the best I can since I have no control over the situation.  Unfortunately I drive past the dealership each day to work.  I so want to pull in and get this thing fixed once and for all.  It is really getting old not having any use of my MFT.

just had 3.5.1 update done, and only tested liftgate kick one time (dinner waiting) but it worked flawlessly, where before it was a 50/50 thing, even pressing the button on the dash or the liftgate button itself, half the time it would just unlock, but then required another press/kick to lift.

Touchscreen is a lot faster too, which is nice, it was excruciatingly slow before... bluetooth streaming still seems to disconnect each time you switch to another audio source, which means a delay in switching back, (displays; "connecting to bluetooth audio" and the little spinning dandelion which means it's doing something) which is annoying, as it used to just stay connected, you could check am/fm radio, sirius, etc., and just switch back if nothing good was on and be listening to your phone media instantly.

Is there a place / forum / email we can make suggestions to Ford? 

I was hoping this update would fix the streaming bluetooth stuttering/cutting in and out/skipping/tempo speeding up/slowing down but it didn't, though the instructions left by the tech explained what the problem was, "odd" characters such as emoticons (;-),:-p,!@#$%^&*();':"<>?,./ etc.) in the contact phone book (these things mean stuff to computers, and for some reason, the SYNC computer is reading the contact phonebook as if it were code, which screws up the bluetooth timing/causes too heavy a load on the cpu. My thousands of contacts might have had something to do with it as well...).

I deleted my whole phonebook from the car, had thousands of customers in it, and it NEVER displayed who was calling correctly anyways. That fixed the bluetooth stuttering/cutting in and out/skipping/tempo speeding up/slowing down immediately.

Kind of disappointing that my $700 phone has 4 cpus, and my 35K car only has one.... Maybe the 2014 C-max will have TWO!

Edited by MacGyver

My 3.5.1 update went similarly to those who reported getting back in the car with no update taking place. Sat for 3 hours yesterday while the tech supposedly installed the update, get back in and see my phone automatically pair with MFT and no temp on the screen. The tech was adamant he installed it. It was 4PM and the center closed at 5PM. Response was come back next week. I left with the paperwork showing the successful install. Called Sync support and they confirmed all the tech did was run the version checker (the thing we can do ourselves) and never attempted to update (Sync support's words, because their systems tells them so).

So I called another dealer last night and made an appointment for today. Took 2 hours and all is well. Well, apart from spending 30 mins trying to figure out why the temp showed 60° (it fixed itself on the way home) and my car thinking it's in Orlando when I'm in Tampa...

Just hoping the car GPS issue doesn't translate to a bunch of messed up EV+ locations. I tried the on/off x11 trick and no EV+ so far.

My 3.5.1 update went similarly to those who reported getting back in the car with no update taking place. Sat for 3 hours yesterday while the tech supposedly installed the update, get back in and see my phone automatically pair with MFT and no temp on the screen. The tech was adamant he installed it. It was 4PM and the center closed at 5PM. Response was come back next week. I left with the paperwork showing the successful install. Called Sync support and they confirmed all the tech did was run the version checker (the thing we can do ourselves) and never attempted to update (Sync support's words, because their systems tells them so).

So I called another dealer last night and made an appointment for today. Took 2 hours and all is well. Well, apart from spending 30 mins trying to figure out why the temp showed 60° (it fixed itself on the way home) and my car thinking it's in Orlando when I'm in Tampa...

Just hoping the car GPS issue doesn't translate to a bunch of messed up EV+ locations. I tried the on/off x11 trick and no EV+ so far.

The settings get reset due to the update.  You will need to turn EV+ mode back on.

Thanks. Yeah I just got in from a short drive and EV+ is working. The update didnt reset my Eco Cruise or EV+ settings, just the locations themselves. Checked all those settings while I sat there trying to figure out why the temp was showing 34° less than it actually was.

Not sure if it is an indication that my Cmax was started over and over, but as I drive by me dealer EV+ now shows ( in addition to my home and work locations).  At least I keep on battery for a while near the dealer...

3.5.1 update seems to be working great, and the liftgate is now a one kick operation!!

When I looked on SyncmyRide, it looks like there were about 7 or 8 "patches" that were added, from where the 3.1.3 settings showed.

Edited by wamba2000

Dropped my car off Monday, 3.5.1 was done in 3 hrs. I talked to their only hybrid tech it only pays 1.4 hrs.

Still no car though, since they had to contact Ford about my random Check Engine Light. It has been on and off twice in 2,500 miles. Hopefully I will get it back Wednesday, this loaner 2013 Chevy Impala is killing me...

Three weeks ago my car was at the dealer for 3 days while they tried (unsuccessfully) to do the 3.5.1 Update.  They called on Monday and asked me to bring it in again today.  Bottom line is that the install seems to be successful.

I think previous comments that attribute some install failures to computer problems are on track.  The following was on the service record:

"Contacted hotline-reset and configured lap top and installed USB driver for cable.  Performed sync upgrade.  13A01  A18  DM 19Y449 AA Memory Card 1"

Dropped my car off Monday, 3.5.1 was done in 3 hrs. I talked to their only hybrid tech it only pays 1.4 hrs.

Still no car though, since they had to contact Ford about my random Check Engine Light. It has been on and off twice in 2,500 miles. Hopefully I will get it back Wednesday, this loaner 2013 Chevy Impala is killing me...

Have you had this since the 3.5.1? My SEL was caused by the SD card which the 3.5.1 has since updated to the A4.

I was told all the PCM updates require several hours each and the C-Max has to be kept on an external power source during the firmware upgrade process. They have successfully completed several upgrades before mine according to my SA.

Edited by darrelld

How do they keep the C-Max on an external power source?  Battery charger??

Yes.

When they were doing the 3.5.1 update on my car a battery charger was connected to the battery.  I don't know why they chose to connect directly to the battery--which requires removing some panels in the rear--rather than using the charging posts in the engine compartment.

Ooooh, thats serious.  Last time I had this long was my GPS. Hope they gave u a good loaner in the interim. 

Nissan Altima loaner, surprising fuel economy of 38 mpg driving 75 mph on the tollway. The Altima engine maintenance light came on as I was driving off the dealer lot and when I got within 2 miles of my house the low fuel warning turned on. I am leaving town this weekend and taking my Passat TDI so all is good.

Edited by darrelld