Lift-Gate and Touch Screen Issues

Elam

I have two issues with my CMAX SEL. It is equipped with the automatic lift-gate and has nav with an 8 inch touch screen. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the time when I use my foot to activate the lift-gate it unlatches but does not lift. It has been to the dealer several times and they have not been able to replicate the issue. The last time they contacted Ford and they think there is a software issue that may be resolved when the update for sync comes out for the Cmax. 

The other issue I have is if the car is parked so I do not have to put it in reverse to drive the touch screen will not come on. I have to stop, put it in reverse to have the back-up camera come on and then the screen works. Sometimes I have to stop, turn the car off and restart to get the screen to come on. The dealer also thinks this is a software glitch that will be solved with the update. 

The dealer was told by Ford the update is expected in the first quarter of 2013, but we are now in the second quarter and still no update. Any word when the update is expected?

1. The tail gate not opening,  try unlocking the doors first, than the gate will go up,  I find with my doors locked I have the same problem, the gate unlocks and stops 

2. Try resetting your MyFordTouch, you will loose your preset radio stations, but it may fix your screen problem. I can't remember how from where I'm at, but the book will tell you how.

I've had my SEL since the end of November and find that when the car is unlocked, one kick opens it and two kicks when it is locked.  But I am going to try a slow kick when locked to experiment as commented on in another thread.  My hands free hatch has always worked like a charm.  No nav problems either and I obviously have the old SD card--but we haven't taken long road trips yet. Our touch screen always comes on before we move the car having pushed the start button.

It was mentioned by a Ford Engineer to a member, that the problem is the sensor is "sleeping" and the first kick will wake it up.  A software update is supposed to be released for it.  Whether this is part of a TSB (which is what I would think) or MFT is really yet to be seen.

In other cases, a forum member put some silicone grease around the latch and that helped him.  I don't think it's by design at all to require 2 kicks and is definitely an issue.

It was mentioned by a Ford Engineer to a member, that the problem is the sensor is "sleeping" and the first kick will wake it up.  A software update is supposed to be released for it.  Whether this is part of a TSB (which is what I would think) or MFT is really yet to be seen.

In other cases, a forum member put some silicone grease around the latch and that helped him.  I don't think it's by design at all to require 2 kicks and is definitely an issue.

I talked with Galpin, still no TSB on this software patch at this time. Mine is acting weird, it will only open if I kick it one way and not any other. One time I pressed the button and it closed but the sensor said it did not lock so I had to repeat the process. This was always buggy as many of us found....so its another patch we all need to wait for now...man...its really getting crowded with all of us in this holding pattern over the Ford airport.... :shoppingcart_:

• 2 months later...

I think i figured out the two kick problem.  

When the car is Locked.  You have to kick and take a step back.  It think this is a safety function so that i doesn't hit you on the way up.

I can speak for the tailgate hitting you in the face or head.  I have a scar above my right eye from 5 stiches done at the ER.  Can be a deadly weapon that tailgate...beware

• 2 weeks later...