Fuel tank size for C-MAX Hybrid

Yes, after more than a dozen fill-ups across 14 states I've found differences of up to 8% between the computer and the fuel station pump (fuel station pump always reports more fuel than the vehicle), except at the station near my house where it's been within 1 1/2%.  Beginning to wonder about them pump's accuracy...

I've been wondering too about the tank characteristics/size on the C-Max.  Our Fit will take up to 2.5 gallons more after the pump first kicks off if you "stuff the tank" (wait a bit and add another 0.2 gal).  I have read that doing this can damage emission components so I've pretty much stopped it.  But 2.5 gallons of "vapor head space" seems excessive.

Pump accuracy bothers me though.  Maybe we should return to the old pumps where the fuel was first pumped up into a big glass tank and from there into your car.  You could see exactly how much you were getting.

I ran mine to 1 mile to empty and it took 12.58 after the automatic stop and 12.77 gallons with one click past the automatic stop. The car read 12.53 used. I believe ptjones ran it several miles below 0. You can comfortably reach 0, but I won't go below it just to be safe.

I've done 15 or 20 below zero. 

One thing I have noticed in my 600 mile exploits - the estimate will change! For example, this 641 mile, I was completing my jobs in Malibu and it reported 40 miles with red. Then I started going up Topanga (uphill) and it started dropping slowly) to where it was saying 4 miles to go. When I hit the top of Topanga and glided down to Victory, I cruised to Galpin Ford with 616 miles and estimated left was 41!!!! I then headed to Burbank-Glenoaks and finally got to the Burbank Costco to report what I reported (see the 600 mile thread Post #1).

So my thought on the "estimated left" is that it is based on your timed history of consumption - which explains why I had good numbers along PCH until Topanga - then burnt a bunch of fuel climbing Topanga and got really low - and then estimated going up again as I glided down Topanga Canyon and then cruising the valley. I guess "estimated" is just that.

So I learnt something and my takeaway is that to keep an eye on the gallons used - that's constant and doesn't back or forward peddle....hope this makes sense... :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Got it.  Thanks all.  Need to find that screen.  In my case, it was constant speed, level ground, showing a solid "40" for several hundred miles.  Consumption rate wasn't about to change.

My previous car (Saab) came from the factory with a 60 mile "cushion" on DTE.  That was until the software was updated.  After that the "cushion" was zero.