50+mpg trips

C-MAXER

You hit the sweet spot. I have found that 25 to 30 mph is the perfect spot. If you can average that speed, 60mpg is your reward. :)

Matt

We'll have to see Matt...right now, I lost a lot of MPG due to the 3.5.1 and Check Engine update that happened today. I think just getting past 700 is the 1st goal, anything else is a bonus but again, you are right - you have to be so on with the MPGs to really get it past 700 mile threshold, not much to "fat to burn", so to speak.

That is true. At this "Thin air" way up high at 700, there is precious little headroom available. I agree 100%.

However, you are definately on your way to 700 for sure. I am convinced of that.

It is one thing to have a high mpg trip or two. But, it is entirely different to maintain it for an entire tank. Everything seems to conspire against it. Pulling out into traffic and not seeing that car coming. Suddenly you need to hit the gas and your MPG for that tank is suddenly down 3/10 of a mpg in that one instance. Then you fight all day to get it back where it was, only to have to do some highway driving that drops it a full 1 or even 2 mpg.

Extremely high mileage tanks take commitment and determination. You are on your way for sure, though.   :)

Matt

good job job keep it up. yes you need about half of your total miles to be EV miles to get good mpg numbers.

even the seasoned Hybrid/prius drivers have something to learn about driving this car.which is why the complaints about Ford cheating the EPA is so funny and all the 1 day reviews of the car where couldn't achieve 47mpg.

nothing takes one day to learn.

You hit the sweet spot. I have found that 25 to 30 mph is the perfect spot. If you can average that speed, 60mpg is your reward. :)

Matt

I don't know where in town I can drive that slow and not be run over.  South bay drivers aren't aware of speeds below 40-45.  Even on city streets around here they think it's ok to do the speed limit normal for the expressway's.

I have found that the optimum speed is 35 mph or under. The car is still very efficient up to about 45mph. Above that, the efficiency begins to drop noticeably.

I am a hyper-miler. That being said, much of my high numbers is related to the type of driving I do and the area I live in. Actually, I do not focus as much effort on hyper-miling than I could. My Max is my work car. I am on the phone much of the time I am driving. So, my attention is spent on driving and talking to the client I have on the phone (hands free, of course). So, when I cannot focus on P&G or other hyper-miling techniques, I just drive cautiously.

I average around 56 or 57mpg most days I am driving cautiously. When I am dead focussed on Hyper-miling everywhere I go, that rises to a touch over 60mpg.

Matt

I have found that the optimum speed is 35 mph or under. The car is still very efficient up to about 45mph. Above that, the efficiency begins to drop noticeably.

I am a hyper-miler. That being said, much of my high numbers is related to the type of driving I do and the area I live in. Actually, I do not focus as much effort on hyper-miling than I could. My Max is my work car. I am on the phone much of the time I am driving. So, my attention is spent on driving and talking to the client I have on the phone (hands free, of course). So, when I cannot focus on P&G or other hyper-miling techniques, I just drive cautiously.

I average around 56 or 57mpg most days I am driving cautiously. When I am dead focussed on Hyper-miling everywhere I go, that rises to a touch over 60mpg.

Matt

I have to agree, having driven my CMax with over 50% freeways/highways and maxing the tank at 679 miles to suddenly driving only surface streets with speeds from 35mph to 45 mph and geting a huge, huge bump in the MPGs. For example, my morning commute:

8997967160_e9271fc207_z.jpg

Astounding, yes?

And I know...to pre-empy those who always, always say to those high MPG posts "well, you should always include a return trip"....so ok:

8996779925_d4aeaa0301_z.jpg

The return is a slightly different route but its from Point B back to A. For those who know Los Angeles, this is basically from the foothills of San Fernando to Woodland Hills and back.

I noticed that the car is still getting better and better (little increments) in the MPGs. Also, one thing....a long killer EV leg will always compensate for any burns up the hills but you gotta get a long EV burn and thats tricky unless you pick the right route.

P&G mostly but I keep with the traffic (not that its that fast anyway) and I pick the route - afterall I drive a hybrid, so its silly not to maximize. Yes, there are rolling hills in certain parts of the valley but you gotta know which one to take and avoid and yeah, maximize the use of the terrain. As I have only been driving this terrain now for less than 2 weeks, I will optimize the tweak it for the effects of traffic and always looking for more optimal terrain to utilize the EV as much as possible.

God, I :wub2:  this car :rockon:

:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

That's awesome Jus!  Your regen miles are amazing!  I don't think I've even hit 2 miles of regen in my 12-13 mile commute...

I don't have any pictures of my commute home because the MPG is never as good, but I normally get 62-67 mpg going to work and 45-50 mpg coming home.  My high going to work was 72.7 mpg and my low coming home was 37 mpg, ironically the 72.7 and 37 both came the first week I had the car.  

I changed my route too a little, I drive around a big hill I used to go up and over and I avoid a freeway coming home that I used to take.  I still drive 50-55 mph for a good 7-8 miles both directions on a local highway, which is a gradual hill and explains the different mpg's going to work and coming home.  Most of the rest of the commute is between 35-45 except for a mile stretch close to work where I take 25 mph side streets to avoid a main road with horrible traffic.  

My average for my 2nd tank of gas is holding steady at 52.3 mpg and my lifetime average is up to 45.8 mpg with about 750 miles on the car total.  A little over 400 of the 750 miles are EV miles.

I can't wait for my car to "break in"!

Edit:  I just checked my pictures, best regen I have is 3.9 miles on a 23 mile trip where 10 miles was a round trip to drop my girlfriend off at her job and my normal 13 mile commute.  My straight commutes to work are all under 2.

Edited by SnitGTS

That's awesome Jus!  Your regen miles are amazing!  I don't think I've even hit 2 miles of regen in my 12-13 mile commute...

I don't have any pictures of my commute home because the MPG is never as good, but I normally get 62-67 mpg going to work and 45-50 mpg coming home.  My high going to work was 72.7 mpg and my low coming home was 37 mpg, ironically the 72.7 and 37 both came the first week I had the car.  

I changed my route too a little, I drive around a big hill I used to go up and over and I avoid a freeway coming home that I used to take.  I still drive 50-55 mph for a good 7-8 miles both directions on a local highway, which is a gradual hill and explains the different mpg's going to work and coming home.  Most of the rest of the commute is between 35-45 except for a mile stretch close to work where I take 25 mph side streets to avoid a main road with horrible traffic.  

My average for my 2nd tank of gas is holding steady at 52.3 mpg and my lifetime average is up to 45.8 mpg with about 750 miles on the car total.  A little over 400 of the 750 miles are EV miles.

I can't wait for my car to "break in"!

Edit:  I just checked my pictures, best regen I have is 3.9 miles on a 23 mile trip where 10 miles was a round trip to drop my girlfriend off at her job and my normal 13 mile commute.  My straight commutes to work are all under 2.

Thats the way - you are on the right track to max your MPGs...assuming you are comfortable with the extra time. I am, I enjoy listening to Larry Elder and Doug McIntyre in the evenings &  mornings respectively and I know I am making my tank last as much as possible. Plus it way safer imo to drive the surface street than the freeways especially in the morning, I have seen too many 3 lane left hand cross overs in my lifetime on the 210/118/405 intersection - pretty scary.

Oh you'll be posting more higher MPGs as you drive the CMax, trust me on that one ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Speaking of which, I broke the 600 mile barrier with a little under 1/4 tank left...

9002184853_c1a8bc13a1_z.jpg

I think come Wednesday, I should break the 700 barrier and we'll see where we go from there.

This was on the way to the Golf Course today...I drove the driver great but I played like crap the rest of the game, oh well:

9003376328_b92345e6a1_z.jpg

And the whole day was 59.5 for 30 miles return :hi5:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Matt - we'll see. Hoping this time tomorrow night to FINALLY crack the 700 barrier as right now I am at 669 with 11.5 gallons used. I managed to add 5 more MPGs on the way to work and coming back it looks like a steady 55MPG, avg 66MPG for about 43 mile round trip ain't too bad - would have been a lot better if not for every cross street some moron has to come out (yeah...its frustrating but I should not be cause I am in one of the BEST MPG cars other than pure EV).

:)

I had an interesting experience today...

I got in my car to back out of my garage and as soon as I turned it out the car started, first time I've ever had it do that!  The battery was extremely low though from the last trip, 1/2 mile in EV+ up my hill really drains it.  Get out to shut the garage door (no power in the garage therefore manual open / close), sat there for a second thinking how funny it was for my car to be running, and when I get back in my mpg for the tank had dropped from 52.3 mpg to 51.2!!!  I never recovered either, crappy raining day here in NJ and I probably drove about 50 miles and when I parked just now I'm right at 51 mpg for the tank again.  What crap!  I'm not sure I like EV+ mode anymore, I'd rather drive normal then end up with a really low battery at my destination...

Sill on track for well above a 600 mile tank, but my miles driven & miles to empty are well under 700 at this point.

What is Matt's record for a tank of gas? 725?  

725 stands, last I recall but Matt will let us know. Plus it doesn't matter anyway...he'll get it back. Wtf am I talking about, I ain't even broke 700 yet...back to my lil hole I go :salute:

EV+ is suppose to do that - get you home with the last ounce of batts. However, what I learnt is that even if you have a high SOC, starting the next day and then using EV+, it will stil run the motor regardless. You may go for a while but as soon as you hit the pedal to have ICE - then the warm up routine starts. My temps have been 80+ when I leave the car (say work) and come back and it still runs the motor - its the software setting off the warming up routine. Now how long that runs depends on the ambient temp. I tried the "L" trick but I cannot get it to work - it just burns MORE gas to recharge my batts so I stopped it cause it was better to let it run the warm up anyway, save my gas. I am keeping mine as I have 2 hills to climb in my development and EV+ saves me from using the gas.

PS I should add - orphoto is up there too and sounds like this will be one of those frog jumping games, one better another and better another.

The GREAT NEWS is that all you young CMax owners - this is what you have to look forward to when your CMaxes reach our age!

Like fine wine :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

how fast does it go on EV+ mode without using the ICE when you end you trips at home or work?

Depends on your battery level. Remember, EV+ kicks in about 0.25 miles from home (it will work this out). I typically have about 1/2 batts left when I reach the EV+ range so I conserve on the speed to go up the hills. However, you can run up to 62MPG, its just EV...all the + does is that it lowers the ICE kick in limit a little bit less. No difference but mind you, I have not run it at 62MPH to my garage, lol.

Working on my best tank.  My lifetime averagge from fuelly is 41.6 (see my signature), so this is GREAT. Weather has been ok here in NC, warm but hot hot enough to run the air.  My 27 mile route to and from work include about 20 miles of interstate.  During the winter (and when the car was new, purchased 1/15/13) this same route would get me 40-43, now I am getting 49-50 pretty consistantly.

post-355-0-72648000-1370972216_thumb.jpg