50+mpg trips

C-MAXER

Yeah, no kidding.

If I did that, trips like this would be commonplace.    :)

By the way, this was not a dhown hill trip that started with a full battery. This was a trip on level ground with no wind averaging 30mph using pulse and glide with a fully warmed up engine. Of course, the trip to the store before this was 58mpg warming up the engine.

I am almost firghtened to think about how high these numbers could get with perfect conditions. We all know the world in not a perfect place. But, short runs like this are fun, none-the-less.

Matt

P.S. Guys, Jaz knows me.....  One thing you need to know is, I build electric bicycles as a side business. I am very used to pushing for maximum efficiency. I do not drive ultra slow. I just accellerate gradually, decellerate gradually, and cruise in such a way to minimize drag as much as possible. There are a ton of things you can learn by riding an electric bike with a minimal range battery.

post-85-0-52470000-1368015699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Recumpence

This is incorrect.  Ethanol has 33% less energy per gallon as does gasoline, so if you have 10% ethanol, you will have 3.3% less energy, and get between 3-4% worse fuel economy.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=27&t=4

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

Every 2nd/3rd or 4th (depending on what I'm driving) tank of E10 I burn I say to myself.

THERE GOES another gallon that I did not need to buy AND 1 MORE gallon THAT DID NOT NEED TO GO INTO the Atmosphere!

With the onset of truly spring-like weather this past week, I was getting at least 50mpg on just about every trip. My weekday trips are usually 10 miles or less. This weekend the temperatures are going to plummet so I'm not expecting to see over 50mpg on my longer weekend errand-running trips.

I once got 80.6mpg on a 4-mile trip- I wish I had a camera with me!

its unfortunate the cmax nav doesnt have a "eco route" option to help drivers get better mpg numbers. on my 2012 Passat nav it lets me choose from 3 routes: fastest, shortest and eco

Yeah..and if those nick the glass, ouch, not worth the MPGs. I still draft now and then but way back and I always check the semi mud flaps, if they don't exist then I am outta there. I'll tell u what, if I gave you the temps that I drive in, you'll shoot the 700 barrel easily. Someone from here has to do it...seems like the 600 is now so passé, lol. ;)

On another note, I am finding more ways to improve but predominantly the route selection. Sometimes the short way is the least MPG friendly. I think we'll always tweak the techniques with this car till the cows come home. Makes it fun though, no more boring A to B driving for sure.

Edited by salsaguy

its unfortunate the cmax nav doesnt have a "eco route" option to help drivers get better mpg numbers. on my 2012 Passat nav it lets me choose from 3 routes: fastest, shortest and eco

salsaguy

We have a born on date of 1/14/13. We're still on the A3 card. 

Here are some pictures of our nav.

We can set Fastest Blue or Shortest Red or Eco Route Green by touching the blue, red or green spots.

or on the bottom bar touch Route Prefs

post-554-0-69494700-1368677551_thumb.jpg

post-554-0-17954600-1368677567_thumb.jpg

post-554-0-24696200-1368677575_thumb.jpg

oh ok very cool. glad it does have that feature. at least you have a choice.sometime all 3 are the same route/result.

does the eco route look for more of those 35-45 mph roads? or what have you noticed different?

what service does the cmax use for traffic and map/nav routing? by "A3 card" I assume you mean nav update SD card version?

Edited by salsaguy

oh ok very cool. glad it does have that feature. at least you have a choice.sometime all 3 are the same route/result.

does the eco route look for more of those 35-45 mph roads? or what have you noticed different?

what service does the cmax use for traffic and map/nav routing? by "A3 card" I assume you mean nav update SD card version?

"oh ok very cool. glad it does have that feature. at least you have a choice.sometime all 3 are the same route/result."

"does the eco route look for more of those 35-45 mph roads? or what have you noticed different?"

I've wondered about that myself.

Here in Ft. Worth all light are red :rant2: so we spend almost as much time sitting (LUV THIS cmax ) as moving. SO normal cars burn almost/more :rant: gas off the freeway as on.

"what service does the cmax use for traffic and map/nav routing? by "A3 card" I assume you mean nav update SD card version?"

The source for map info/updates is mentioned in other threads???

Wonder what word/term we would search for?

The A3 is the OLD nav card.

There is an online manual, suggest you look it up about the actual difference between the 3. Based on my experience, the shortest will lead you to some strange surface streets as I found out while driving in Oxard. It is literally A to B with the shortest distance. Eco avoids the freeways as much as possible. It still comes down to knowing your route but if you don't, pick eco and to max your MPG (if you have the time to burn).

In regards to the SD card, during the MFT issues that Galpin Ford look at, they verified my A3 card and I have the A4 version but the sticker says A3 version on that card. They were kinda befuddled as well. Those with A3, have your service advisor verify the version - well, it should not matter since the 3.5.1 update needs the A4 card which you will get when Ford gets around to it :)

It uses Sirius for traffic.  The routing is done internally by the computer.  The maps are provided by NavTeq I think, although I'm not 100% on that.

You can also get traffic through Sync Services btw, but thats more of a phone call and does not display that info on the map.  Only traffic provided by Sirius is displayed on the map.

Best trip so far. :)  Yes, it was down hill about 300ft drop overall (0.6% grade) but it is too much fun just seeing these numbers.

WOW!   I live on the coastal plains so it's flat and we have strong winds but I have yet to experienced a tailwind strong enough for those kinds of numbers.   :)

OK, this trip barely qualifies at 50.7mpg so why post it?  Well this is the result from this morning's commute that starts with a completely cold engine.  Morning temp was 76f.

0DD8D11E-3F4C-4DE9-BF5F-1EC4D6BEB478-399

Here's a pic from the same route about 6 weeks ago.  Cooler morning temps, newer engine, and still learning the car.  I've changed my driving style for this particular route which is now reflected in the higher EV miles.  The minor diff in regen miles is due to catching one less red light.

356B69F8-75F8-4043-BA32-88142DAEBA29-399

Edited by fotomoto

Hello all, just got my C-Max SE last week and I have been loving it!  I'm not doing anything special to get my mileage, just following the coach and keeping my highway speeds at or below 65 mph.  The image is of a trip to work this past week, I had a better trip at 71.7 mpg but couldn't get my camera app up in time before the screen went blank.  (I'm also going on the 999.9 mpg reading when I pulled the car into the garage after unloading the groceries doesn't count)  My lifetime average just topped 40 mpg (up from under 20 when I got it), which is great because I only have 250 miles on the car and I got it with 40 miles.  My tank mpg is at 47.3 partly because I've been showing it off to my friends and family and gunning it to demonstrate just how much power my hybrid has!  I think I should have no problem getting a 50 mpg tank average and a 600 mile tank the way things are going once the car breaks in.  Although, I must admit the weather has been just about perfect here this last week so maybe not...

IMG 20130516 082603

You're off to a GREAT start Snit. :happy feet:  If you had a 100% brake score, you'd probably would have been in the 70's!  I would suggest resetting your lifetime now to truly reflect your miles and not the dealership.  Also, you can use the up/down arrows on the left steering wheel controller to toggle back/forth between the trip summary and lifetime displays.  This will give you enough time to get your phone/camera out. :camera: