C-Max Energi battery swap

energi-syr

Thinking of buying a 2013 that with a fairly degraded traction battery (about 8 miles estimated electric range) and doing a battery swap. I can find a compatible used battery with around 50K on it for a reasonable price. The actual swap process looks pretty straight forward. Question: once swapped is any reprogramming, etc. required or is it pretty much plug and play? Has anyone done one? I've read for other EVs like a Leaf, the manufacturer made swapping batteries difficult (but not unachievable.)

• 2 weeks later...

Good question, I do not know and it might depend on the model years between the car receiving and the replacement battery?

It seems like besthybridbatteries.com was selling kits that would could install DIY so reprogramming is either not needed or simple.

If you try the experiment, please keep us posted!

• 2 months later...

I just bought a used battery for my 2013 Energi with 50,000 miles on it for $1000 from LKQ. I will get it next Wed and have it installed Friday. Be sure to check your vin #, the 7th digit is what determines compatibility with your car (A,B or C).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 5:01 PM, EdH said:

I have looked everywhere I can think of, how much does the C-Max Energi battery weigh?

I don't have official numbers, but the shop manual specifically talks about using an engine hoist to lift it in and out of the vehicle with chains. I suspect it's not a "two person lift" type of deal. The battery also does not come apart into pieces while inside the vehicle so you really need to put it in and take it out as a whole (very heavy) module.

Good luck and be careful. If you haven't yet, I would strongly suggest buying the Ford Shop Manual off eBay for your vehicle and following the instructions in it. It will give you detailed diagrams about what cables to disconnect and in what order. Very cheap insurance to keep from breaking something.

• 2 weeks later...

It is done. I downloaded the swap instructions directly from the Ford website. It took about 5 hours using a cherry picker. I am getting right at 60 mph going on a 52 mile daily round trip going 59 mph about 2/3 of the time, the rest being stop signs and lights.