Moving back to the Smokies

C-MaxNC

Hello everyone,

I am moving back to the Smokey Mountains after spending a year in Iowa of all places, don't ask..lol, and I was wondering if anyone has done any towing with their Cmax? I am considering this option ONLY if our vehicles are capable of this feat. I have the 2013 Cmax Hybrid SEL model, and it does have the "towing" and/or steep grade button on the shifter. I am not fully aware of what that is for, and why I am posting this.

The last thing I want to do is damage any mechanical components of my baby, so if anyone has any information, I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

NC

As others have already pointed out, and just summarizing here:

The C-Max is not officially rated for towing. Some owners have done some light towing but it is absolutely at your own risk. There are hitches available but are generally designed for use for stuff like bike racks, cargo racks, etc.. Also those from reputable companies will usually have a note saying that your vehicle's tow rating takes precedence over what they list as the rating for the hitch. For example, this is from Torklift's site for the Ecohitch model that I personally have on my 2013:

Although your EcoHitch® tongue weight and tow weight rating might be exceedingly high – this is because we build our hitches to withstand all kinds of beatings – your vehicle’s towing capacity could be lower. Please consult your vehicle’s owners manual to determine your factory tow weight rating and never exceed it. No aftermarket products can increase your factory tow weight rating.  If your vehicle's tow rating is less than the rated towing capacity on your EcoHitch® trailer hitch, your trailer hitch capacity is limited to your vehicle's factory rated towing capacity. Please check your owner’s manual to confirm your vehicle is rated to tow.

As far as the button on the gearshift, @homestead nailed it. It's just for helping maintain speed going downhill and isn't tied to any towing capability or lack thereof. This button exists on many Ford vehicles including those never intended to tow.