And another: Mass. woman is latest to sue Ford over hybrid MPG

HannahWCU

That's not even a picture of a C-Max in the article!!! :drop:

It's not a picture of any of our 2013 North American C-Max hybrid or energi models, but it may be a C-Max (or Focus C-Max) somewhere and some time ago.  If you click to enlarge the picture it does appear to have a C-Max nameplate on the bottom left of the hatch.   The C-Max name has been used by Ford since 2003.  The vehicle exterior has been redesigned twice since the original.  So sloppy work by the photo editor for the news article and perhaps the driver's mpg problem is that they have an old, non-hybrid C-Max - or more likely cold winter weather, short trips and lack of hybrid driving skills.

As I said in the earlier thread, some people prefer suing rather than understanding their car. This is the same type of person that would sue McDees for spilling hot coffee on themselves, same morons.

However, I would put on record that if Ford needs to use my stats and figures to fight these silly suits, lets go for it. It's on fuelly and on this website. I have no problem advocating for them because without them, I would be driving a Prii and bemoaning that instead  :)

As I said in the earlier thread, some people prefer suing rather than understanding their car. This is the same type of person that would sue McDees for spilling hot coffee on themselves, same morons.

However, I would put on record that if Ford needs to use my stats and figures to fight these silly suits, lets go for it. It's on fuelly and on this website. I have no problem advocating for them because without them, I would be driving a Prii and bemoaning that instead  :)

I was thinking the same thing myself Jus.....Ford should contact you and use your information.........and you're not the only one.......now there are 4 w/+600 mile tanks. And do we even know how many with close to that? My absolute WORST tank, in the middle of January in the frozen North was 30.6........that was only 1.......and they've been steadily climbing since then. I'll be at 47 by June, altho Fuelly won't reflect that right away.

Edited by Adair

I was thinking the same thing myself Jus.....Ford should contact you and use your information.........and you're not the only one.......now there are 4 w/+600 mile tanks. And do we even know how many with close to that? My absolute WORST tank, in the middle of January in the frozen North was 30.6........that was only 1.......and they've been steadily climbing since then. I'll be at 47 by June, altho Fuelly won't reflect that right away.

There are more who are close but they are not on this website but are in fuelly, we're talking higer 500s. I know, I saw your worse which I question why this woman was reporting the 32s. Also, how you look at the MPG may skew it up or down. I think the concensus here is that return round trip MPGs have more credibility as versus MPGs by the leg. So, it could well be the woman does one leg going up hill and in the cold, they hook up scangauge and say "Hey look....32!!!! That's our proof" but they neglect that this same woman may drive back down the hill and get the 40s and perhaps average low 40s/high 30s which in the cold is not bad as you will atest. I am sure the Ford attorneys can rip any of their argument apart since its multi million dollar suit but the strategy of the suit is to force Ford to settle the case instead and therefore payout to the attorneys...$$$

Now if it's a well informed driver with a broken car and Ford refuses to take a look at that car, thats a different story....

I am in Mass also.  It was a brutal winter.  My calculated gas milage was 33.0 mpg from when I bought my C-Max at the end of December thru the end of March.  I got 41.3 mpg on my last to tankfulls in April.  Three things happened a month ago.  The temperature increased, my car reached 4500 miles and I took my snowtires off.  I am willing to bet that woman is now getting in the 40's if she has 5000 miles on her car.

find it pretty amusing that everyone brings up the McDonalds hot coffee law suite without ever researching the case - the law suite was viable the coffee at the franchise in question was heated beyond the recommended temperature by the McDonalds corporate. She suffered 3rd degree burns on 6 percent of her body and lesser burns over 16 percent of here body. It was proven that the coffee they service was heated to 180 degrees and not the required 140 degrees. At 180 degrees the hot coffee will cause 3rd degree burns in about 12 seconds. Othe documents shows that McDonalds had settled out of court for scalding to the tune of 500,000 and between 1982 to 1992 they had recieved more then 700 complaints form people that have been burned in various degrees of severity.  The jury found 80 percent negligence on McDonalds and 20 per on Lebeck. McDonalds appealed but they settled out of court for a undisclosed amount of less then 600,000.

If you take the time to review the case, it was a justified law suite

find it pretty amusing that everyone brings up the McDonalds hot coffee law suite without ever researching the case - the law suite was viable the coffee at the franchise in question was heated beyond the recommended temperature by the McDonalds corporate. She suffered 3rd degree burns on 6 percent of her body and lesser burns over 16 percent of here body. It was proven that the coffee they service was heated to 180 degrees and not the required 140 degrees. At 180 degrees the hot coffee will cause 3rd degree burns in about 12 seconds. Othe documents shows that McDonalds had settled out of court for scalding to the tune of 500,000 and between 1982 to 1992 they had recieved more then 700 complaints form people that have been burned in various degrees of severity.  The jury found 80 percent negligence on McDonalds and 20 per on Lebeck. McDonalds appealed but they settled out of court for a undisclosed amount of less then 600,000.

If you take the time to review the case, it was a justified law suite

Life has risks. Most people deal with it. Some blame others.

Life has risks. Most people deal with it. Some blame others.

risk had absolutely nothing to do with this, it was negligence on the part of McChoke and Puke by not following health and safety regulations and putting their customers in a dangerous situation over and above serving what them what they claim is food.

I agree with the idea that the lawsuit for the C-Max is stupid, Not getting anywhere near the gas mileage that was advertised, a good 13 MPG below the advertised amount, even with 95 percent of my driving done at highway speeds in light traffic on cruise control @ 60-65 MPH. Drove an Escape for 3 years prior to this car and averages in the high 20's with in a couple of miles of the EPA estimate on the same route. The simple fact that this car comes no where near it's advertised estimate for a lot of the owners indicates someone dropped the ball or money passed under the table. same as the simple fact that Ford is in no way supporting those early adopters of the car as evidenced in the lack of updates for some major issues with the sync system. Been driving fords since 1970, this is the first time I am on the verge of regretting purchasing one.

risk had absolutely nothing to do with this, it was negligence on the part of McChoke and Puke by not following health and safety regulations and putting their customers in a dangerous situation over and above serving what them what they claim is food.

I agree with the idea that the lawsuit for the C-Max is stupid, Not getting anywhere near the gas mileage that was advertised, a good 13 MPG below the advertised amount, even with 95 percent of my driving done at highway speeds in light traffic on cruise control @ 60-65 MPH. Drove an Escape for 3 years prior to this car and averages in the high 20's with in a couple of miles of the EPA estimate on the same route. The simple fact that this car comes no where near it's advertised estimate for a lot of the owners indicates someone dropped the ball or money passed under the table. same as the simple fact that Ford is in no way supporting those early adopters of the car as evidenced in the lack of updates for some major issues with the sync system. Been driving fords since 1970, this is the first time I am on the verge of regretting purchasing one.

I like HOT coffee! Knew it was HOT, that's why I bought it.

I complained when they turned the heat down!

I like HOT coffee! Knew it was HOT, that's why I bought it.

I complained when they turned the heat down!

Good for you, I prefer not to drink something hot enough that it can get me 3rd degree burns in about 12 seconds. Your throat must be lined with asbestos. 

Forget it, not worth discussing this portion anymore, the c-max lawsuit is stupid, the quoting of a valid law suite is the same thing

• 2 months later...

Last discussion on this was in April. No word on any updates? ? Anyone want to guess how long we have to wait to hear some updates about the case?

Any lawyers here in the forums?

I'm sure Ford sent some data to EPA to fend off the hounds. I'm pretty sure they will try and settle out of court for these (false or unproven) claims. With more breakin miles and some info taken ftom the suspect vehicles and a deeper look into the driving habits/style of these complaint filers,I'm sure Ford and the EPA have a good start on understanding what's really going on here.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder what the mpg would be if some of us drove it?

Recall a negative article on cars that mentioned hoe a guy had gotten his brakes replace several times. Only at the end was it mentioned he alway drove with a foot on the brake! So, is it he car or the driver?

Has nothing to do with not knowing how to drive. It has everything to do with understanding the goals, strengths, and weaknesses of standardized testing.

That may be even more difficult for some... ;)

In my opinion, I think Ford should have given the CMax an ECO and POWER buttons for those drivers who sue, they are too :airquote: stupid to understand ONE PEDAL TO RULE THEM ALL (hint, hint...where did that quote come from.. :sos: )

And yes, I don't mince my word.... :drop:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax