Don't let this forum worry you

pg13

We took delivery of our new c-max Thursday. After reading this forum for weeks before delivery I was sure we were in for a world of hurt. I was sure our older version of MFT would direct me to drive into the middle of Candlewood lake (that is if it worked at all). I thought I would have to rescue my wife from dead batteries. And we would most likely have to replace TPM sensors after having to fill a flat tire with goo.

But no, everything with our new c-max (white SEL with 302a) has been fine. My wife loves it and brags about how many leaves she has earned (She likes the leaves.) Even the much miligned MFT has been ok with the little triangle staying on the road with us.

I am not al all trying to minimize the problems reported here. Those people with c-max problems deserve solutions - and FAST- from Ford, but I realized the the folks here do not represent a good sample of all c-max owners. Those with problem are going to be attracted to this forum to look for solutions and share their experiences. Those who are having no problems are have no incentive to find us, so reading many of the problem threads  here  will lead you to the wrong impression of the c-max,  If all c-max owners were having all these problems, it would not be selling as well as it is.

As far as MPG goes. Last night I drove from our garden shop to our local diner for dinner. I got 134mpg! Ok, OK, it was only 2miles and all down hill, but it was still a fun number to see on the dash. So keep anticipating the arrival of your new C-max, when it arrives your going to love it!

Yes, forums naturally attract folks looking for help or to complain/rant so forum traffic has to be "filtered".  That's why I started one thread on 50+ mpg trips as an opportunity to show the car does great (like your 134mpg) and these trips balance out the sub-30mpg runs on a cold engine, etc. and help deliver an overall mpg in the 40's.  

CONGRATS and good luck with your new car!

Agreed about not letting this forum scare you away from the C-max.  It is a nice car that fills a big place in the hybrid market that until now only the Prius has owned - and despite the problems metioned in this forum I'd buy it again.  But knowledge is a good thing, and it is wise to know as much about a car like this (first year model) as you can, since rarely is a car perfect - I'd suggest to expect, and keep an eye out for issues with a car as new and complex as the C-max is.  It may not be a big deal, or it could leave you stuck (dead battery) because you did not recognize a warning sign.  You can bet Ford will fix the problems that do occur though, there is at least one owner who received a replacement vehicle after a serious problem kept re-occurring.  To me, having Ford stand behind the car means more than a few problems which have cropped up.

My SEL/302a with a build date of @ 2/13/13 has been flawless for 2000 miles.  Lifetime mpg of 42.2 

I can think of dozens of improvements but the existing functions have worked as advertised.

I think the new software will fix most of the problems the early adopters have experienced.  Sounds like the update for these folks will be out very soon, like in days, not weeks.  Hopefully they will be rewarded for their patience.

Mark

p.s. correction...I can make the guide lines disappear from the rear camera if I shift into reverse before the MFD fully boots up.  Requires going back into the settings menu to reactivate.  So...almost flawless.

Edited by Mark426

I complain, but they are valid complaints with issues on the car that are still problems, the car has been back to the dealer 7 times since I got it back in Oct of 2012, it has over 7K miles on it, the issues that are affecting the car are still there with no solution in sight, it is going back in for the 8th time on Monday for a problem that was suppose to be fixed the last time it was in and has popped back up again. The car is number 717 off the assemble line with a build date of 07/2012. The MFT system continuously reboots, the navigation puts me in the middle of a river when I drive next to one, the battery has been dead a number of times in the morning to name a few of the problems. It has had the gps unit replaced twice, the tsb has been done on the car, the rear sensing assembly has failed, to name a few of the problems

Maybe I just got a lemon, the dealers (multiple dealers) are as confused as I am on the reliability of the vehicle. Have given up on mileage issues, it is a lost cause, still getting 32-33 mpg on the care with my normal driving habits. Not sure which way to go on this anymore, frustrated with the car, and tired of having to take vacation time to resolve the problems over and over again

I complain, but they are valid complaints with issues on the car that are still problems, the car has been back to the dealer 7 times since I got it back in Oct of 2012, it has over 7K miles on it, the issues that are affecting the car are still there with no solution in sight, it is going back in for the 8th time on Monday for a problem that was suppose to be fixed the last time it was in and has popped back up again. The car is number 717 off the assemble line with a build date of 07/2012. The MFT system continuously reboots, the navigation puts me in the middle of a river when I drive next to one, the battery has been dead a number of times in the morning to name a few of the problems. It has had the gps unit replaced twice, the tsb has been done on the car, the rear sensing assembly has failed, to name a few of the problems

Maybe I just got a lemon, the dealers (multiple dealers) are as confused as I am on the reliability of the vehicle. Have given up on mileage issues, it is a lost cause, still getting 32-33 mpg on the care with my normal driving habits. Not sure which way to go on this anymore, frustrated with the car, and tired of having to take vacation time to resolve the problems over and over again

Check this, would look good next to your wing :hi5: .

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-hybrid/

Give it some time. It took about five weeks for my nav to act up. ;)

We took delivery of our new c-max Thursday. After reading this forum for weeks before delivery I was sure we were in for a world of hurt. I was sure our older version of MFT would direct me to drive into the middle of Candlewood lake (that is if it worked at all). I thought I would have to rescue my wife from dead batteries. And we would most likely have to replace TPM sensors after having to fill a flat tire with goo.

But no, everything with our new c-max (white SEL with 302a) has been fine. My wife loves it and brags about how many leaves she has earned (She likes the leaves.) Even the much miligned MFT has been ok with the little triangle staying on the road with us.

I am not al all trying to minimize the problems reported here. Those people with c-max problems deserve solutions - and FAST- from Ford, but I realized the the folks here do not represent a good sample of all c-max owners. Those with problem are going to be attracted to this forum to look for solutions and share their experiences. Those who are having no problems are have no incentive to find us, so reading many of the problem threads  here  will lead you to the wrong impression of the c-max,  If all c-max owners were having all these problems, it would not be selling as well as it is.

As far as MPG goes. Last night I drove from our garden shop to our local diner for dinner. I got 134mpg! Ok, OK, it was only 2miles and all down hill, but it was still a fun number to see on the dash. So keep anticipating the arrival of your new C-max, when it arrives your going to love it!

Check this, would look good next to your wing :hi5: .

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-hybrid/

Doubt it, my wing was built in Marysville Ohio, I watched go down the assemble line, it is by far the most superior long distance tour bike in existence, have 145K miles on it, have completed 7 Saddle Sore 1000 and 3 BunBurner 1500's on it. they only thing that link would look good next to is a mountain of what comes out of the north end of a horse going south Not sure what the point that you think you are trying to make, but I do have a valid concern about the vehicle, in it's present condition it is unreliable and problem ridden. ***********************************

I purchase and ride a Goldwing since 1975 because it is the most superior long distance tour bike in existence

I purchase and drive a ford because up until this one they are the most reliable cars in existence.

MOD EDITED: Lets cut out the personal attacks/insults.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Give it some time. It took about five weeks for my nav to act up. ;)

I hope not. I am not too worried. Electronics usually exhibit flaws within the few hours of use, otherwise they chug along unless affected by some outside force like a power surge, fried capacitor, or physical damage to change things. Of course the up coming software update has the potential of taking down the whole system. This is microsoft after all!  ;) We just have wait and see.

BTW went to BJ's today typical CT trip of about 8 mile with many hills and twisty roads. It was warm today (finally!) so AC on set to 70. 51.2 mpg.  :)

I hope not. I am not too worried. Electronics usually exhibit flaws within the few hours of use, otherwise they chug along unless affected by some outside force like a power surge, fried capacitor, or physical damage to change things. Of course the up coming software update has the potential of taking down the whole system. This is microsoft after all!  ;) We just have wait and see.

BTW went to BJ's today typical CT trip of about 8 mile with many hills and twisty roads. It was warm today (finally!) so AC on set to 70. 51.2 mpg.  :)

You are running MFT 3.5.1, early adopters like myself are waiting for this version to solve our freeze/reboot problems. Also the Check Engine light issue has been resolved with a redesigned part you also have. 

So I would not expect anything major at this point, a good test of your MFT version is to plug in a large collection of music, ipod classic or thumb drive, and see how well it performs.

Doubt it, my wing was built in Marysville Ohio, I watched go down the assemble line, it is by far the most superior long distance tour bike in existence, have 145K miles on it, have completed 7 Saddle Sore 1000 and 3 BunBurner 1500's on it. they only thing that link would look good next to is a mountain of what comes out of the north end of a horse going south Not sure what the point that you think you are trying to make, but I do have a valid concern about the vehicle, in it's present condition it is unreliable and problem ridden. *******************************

I purchase and ride a Goldwing since 1975 because it is the most superior long distance tour bike in existence

I purchase and drive a ford because up until this one they are the most reliable cars in existence.\

MOD Edited: Lets cut out the personal attacks/insults.

ouch didn't mean to step on your toes.

What's wrong with Honda cars, the one we had was fun (Accord 2 door with a manual transmission) and flawless.

A friend hit a dear a couple of yrs ago, at 45+mph.

We've been riding for 40+ yrs, he didn't go down, surprisingly they didn't total his wing, BUT it did thousands in damage.

I did see him drop his 72, CB750 in 1972. We rode from Ft Worth to Estes Park CO., long 1 day ride today a LONG LONG day in 72, he forgot to put his foot down :hysterical: when we stopped in Estes Park.

Anyway sorry

Edited by Jus-A-CMax