MFT - talked to Ford and 3.5.1 update

My SEL's system is starting to be more erratic, not showing the street on the Home scrren in the Navigation quadrant, then not showing the Entertainment content ( what was playing) on the small driver right hand screen, showing blank white blocks when Sirius pre-sets were used on the Home screen, and last, just drove about 6 miles with a totally blacked out screen on the mid-dash.  I have complained to the dealer about this previously, they cleared/reeset memory as a chance of fixing it, which also cleared lifetime Regen miles driven ???

I called the MySynch help number and talked with the rep about the update to 3.5.1 that is overdue.  I have 3.1.3 currently, as my Cmax was built in December.  The rep said the release had not been posted for Cmax hybrid, but that the Fusion hybrid was just released and C-Max shoudl be there any day.

She also said Ford would mail notification to each owner when the release was made and ready for download.

I guess I will let it rest for the night and see if it re-boots/resets/dows Windows Update/goes blue screen of death.

I am really challenged to know how this software, which has been around and bemoaned for years, is still this difficult to make work.  We have a nav/tech system on my wife's Genesis and if over two years of driving, only had one hiccup, which was fxed by powering off the vehicle and restarting it so the screen displayed ok.  I really liek the Cmax, but these quirks ( and now the intermittent Check Engine light when starting) are making me uneasy.

My SEL's system is starting to be more erratic, not showing the street on the Home scrren in the Navigation quadrant, then not showing the Entertainment content ( what was playing) on the small driver right hand screen, showing blank white blocks when Sirius pre-sets were used on the Home screen, and last, just drove about 6 miles with a totally blacked out screen on the mid-dash.  I have complained to the dealer about this previously, they cleared/reeset memory as a chance of fixing it, which also cleared lifetime Regen miles driven ???

I called the MySynch help number and talked with the rep about the update to 3.5.1 that is overdue.  I have 3.1.3 currently, as my Cmax was built in December.  The rep said the release had not been posted for Cmax hybrid, but that the Fusion hybrid was just released and C-Max shoudl be there any day.

She also said Ford would mail notification to each owner when the release was made and ready for download.

I guess I will let it rest for the night and see if it re-boots/resets/dows Windows Update/goes blue screen of death.

I am really challenged to know how this software, which has been around and bemoaned for years, is still this difficult to make work.  We have a nav/tech system on my wife's Genesis and if over two years of driving, only had one hiccup, which was fxed by powering off the vehicle and restarting it so the screen displayed ok.  I really liek the Cmax, but these quirks ( and now the intermittent Check Engine light when starting) are making me uneasy.

Little surprised that she told you it would be ready for download, unless you dont't have Navigation. With navigatio the Map chip has to be replaced with version A4, the current one A3 will not work with 3.5.1, all the other vehicles with Navigation had to be done by the dealer

Ive had luck so far, when the Sirius preset buttons go dark, by going to the entertainment quadrent and cycling through Sirius 1, 2, & 3 displays. When I come around to the #1 display again the descriptions will be there.

Have used a similar method when the street names do not show on the Nav. function. I click the Sync button and start a route to Home, as soon as it tells me the nav will start I cancel the route, then close to the home screen (middle button) and the street name display.

Alot to go through for a system that has been around for a while now, but I just want to get back to the way I like my display quickly.

Thanks Wing and Michael, this morning the display was normal, except for the street location on Home, still not showing.

Will try the Nav route thing.

I know software and the systems in cars are very complicated, but just can't see how there are so many "bugs" that seem to be in versions of MFT.

Could the 3.5.1 release happen soon?

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=fordsyncmb&nav=userposts&userId=1896178384

Update since last night.Was contacted by Ford Support this AM and assured that the MFT/MLT 3.5.1 update WOULD be available for the C-MAX Energi (dunno about the regular hybrid) within the next two weeks.This seems to vibe with what my dealership's SYNC expert said about how they should have an update no later than June, because they had a December update, and they've got new cars on the lot already running 3.5.1 AND they usually do an update about every 6 months.Was assured the A4 would be free, and it would be a pretty painless process.We shall see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by darrelld

When I Ieft work today I had no radio and the phone wouldn't connect, even tho it showed connected on the phone quadrant of the screen. No buttons or dials worked.  I unSYNCed my phone and called my dealership to see if anyone was still there on a Friday. I wanted someone to see it  live, because it's possible that by my appt. on  Monday it will be working perfectly. 

The technician that I usually work with was still there  and he was baffled. He unplugged the battery in the back, causing a SYNC master reset of sorts, but it did no good. He said the update 3.5.1 is due out *any day now* ( his words), and he had seen the letter. He tweaked things for 10 min. or so trying to get the radio working for the weekend. No luck. We cancelled my appt. for Monday since there is nothing he can do until the update is out. I'm supposed to call on Wed. and they will run my VIN # again.

Went to Kroger for 10 minutes, came back out and everything worked just fine.

When I Ieft work today I had no radio and the phone wouldn't connect, even tho it showed connected on the phone quadrant of the screen. No buttons or dials worked.  I unSYNCed my phone and called my dealership to see if anyone was still there on a Friday. I wanted someone to see it  live, because it's possible that by my appt. on  Monday it will be working perfectly. 

The technician that I usually work with was still there  and he was baffled. He unplugged the battery in the back, causing a SYNC master reset of sorts, but it did no good. He said the update 3.5.1 is due out *any day now* ( his words), and he had seen the letter. He tweaked things for 10 min. or so trying to get the radio working for the weekend. No luck. We cancelled my appt. for Monday since there is nothing he can do until the update is out. I'm supposed to call on Wed. and they will run my VIN # again.

Did you have any iPod or USB drives plugged in with a number of music selections when this happened?

Sigh, I read that last post, "wrong" software...that is amusing. It's not the best choice of word but I understand his annoyance but I am amused that he claims to be an "early adopter". C'est la vie.

What's so amusing about it?

I posted it, btw. (and I'm a she, not a he).

It's not the most current version that exists of the software, ergo, it's "wrong" as far as I'm concerned, having just bought the car last week.

I also realize that updating to 3.5.1 is likely more complicated than just updating the software, as it appears this update will require a trip to the dealership to reflash the firmware. Which, I really don't like and it makes me wish I'd bought a car that was Production 2 and not Production 1. If it was just a quick software update, I suppose everyone would have it already.

Anything in the Production 1 run is considered "early adopter" for this particular vehicle (the C-MAX Energi)... or so I was informed by Ford, but my early adopter comment referred to being an early adopter, period. We got our Volt at the beginning of 2011, there wasn't even a mechanic in our state that was certified to work on it for the first few months that we owned the car. My point was not to thump my chest (for I am female, and we can't be bothered with all that posturing stuff that so many males tend to enjoy)...

My point was that Ford shouldn't have waited to update these cars. Any of them.

Also, my post said that I did not know if this alleged update during May applied to the C-MAX Energi alone or to the whole C-MAX line. The rep left me a VM, I didn't have him on the line to ask and he had no reason to tell me, as I was inquiring about the C-MAX Energi, and that's what he was researching for me. :)

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that all companies seem to have the habit of thumbing their noses at the people who buy their products first. I bought the iPhone on the very first day it was released. Coincidental, as I refused to stand in line for it, and just happened to wander past a store just before it closed that had a few left. That was the crappiest early adoption experience (and the most fun, believe it or not) that I've had thus far.

The Volt early adoption was more fun than hassle, even if we did have to fly to Jersey to buy it.

I'm irritated about having just purchased a car and having to wait around for the system that I saw on another car at another dealership.. and that I expected to have on the car that I ultimately bought. I never thought to compare the two, really. I won't make that mistake again buying a first run automobile. ;)

Edited by meh_whatever

I had a weird experience where all the buttons on the radio presets went totally blank. The presets were still there, they just went blank. I, too, have had phone connection trouble a couple of times. It seems to enjoy connecting and disconnecting. I never really had that problem on my old Prius... or on our Volt. Strange. I did have an Insight that refused to download phonebooks once I upgraded my phone, but the Insight interface is TRULY crappy, so I wasn't surprised.

My SYNC guy at the dealership has also claimed to have SEEN THE LETTER... this was after I talked to Ford about it and they confirmed it was due out any day now.

I suppose there's either a SYNC guy conspiracy or there's a letter of some kind, even if it is just one that says "put off everyone who gripes until we get this update finished". :)

What's so amusing about it?

I posted it, btw. (and I'm a she, not a he).

It's not the most current version that exists of the software, ergo, it's "wrong" as far as I'm concerned, having just bought the car last week.

I also realize that updating to 3.5.1 is likely more complicated than just updating the software, as it appears this update will require a trip to the dealership to reflash the firmware. Which, I really don't like and it makes me wish I'd bought a car that was Production 2 and not Production 1. If it was just a quick software update, I suppose everyone would have it already.

Anything in the Production 1 run is considered "early adopter" for this particular vehicle (the C-MAX Energi)... or so I was informed by Ford, but my early adopter comment referred to being an early adopter, period. We got our Volt at the beginning of 2011, there wasn't even a mechanic in our state that was certified to work on it for the first few months that we owned the car. My point was not to thump my chest (for I am female, and we can't be bothered with all that posturing stuff that so many males tend to enjoy)...

My point was that Ford shouldn't have waited to update these cars. Any of them.

Also, my post said that I did not know if this alleged update during May applied to the C-MAX Energi alone or to the whole C-MAX line. The rep left me a VM, I didn't have him on the line to ask and he had no reason to tell me, as I was inquiring about the C-MAX Energi, and that's what he was researching for me. :)

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that all companies seem to have the habit of thumbing their noses at the people who buy their products first. I bought the iPhone on the very first day it was released. Coincidental, as I refused to stand in line for it, and just happened to wander past a store just before it closed that had a few left. That was the crappiest early adoption experience (and the most fun, believe it or not) that I've had thus far.

The Volt early adoption was more fun than hassle, even if we did have to fly to Jersey to buy it.

I'm irritated about having just purchased a car and having to wait around for the system that I saw on another car at another dealership.. and that I expected to have on the car that I ultimately bought. I never thought to compare the two, really. I won't make that mistake again buying a first run automobile. ;)

Your buy habits suggest you are an engineer.  :)

Engineer comment is funny.  A friend of mine whose daily drive is a Ford F-250 was at a Ford dealership the week after I told him I bought a C-Max.  He asked the Sales Rep to show him a C-Max because his friend in another state bought one.  The Rep asked him if I was a Professor or an IT Geek 'cause that's who is buying them.    ;)

***Update***Phone, SYNC, radio, GPS worked fine over the weekend and this morning on the way to work. This afternoon when I got off, even tho the screen showed everything connected, the phone didn't work, neither did the radio. No buttons, paddles, knobs. Just like the previous 4 times. I wonder if the fact that 4 out of the 5 times this has happened in the past 10 days it's been in the afternoon, and temps above 70?