tire-rotation

grege

Can anyone confirm for me that I can definitely interchange/completely swap the wheels on our 2017 energi titanium and 2018 hybrid titanium cmaxes?  Tire specs are the same and the wheels appear to be identical, so...

My plan is to simply X-cross tires from one cmax to the other (RF to LR, RR to LF, LF to RR, LR to RF from one cmax to the other) to simplify rotation by swapping the tires between vehicles without using a fifth wheel/spare (that I don't have !!!)

Thanks for the help!

Greg

On 10/1/2023 at 5:35 PM, homestead said:

What about the TPMS when moving tires.  I guess the car needs to be reprogramed so it's looking at the correct tires.

Good point.  I was hoping they'd communicate without hassle, but now that you mention it...maybe I'll keep wheel/tire fidelity!

Thanks,

Greg

Retraining TPMS shouldn't be a huge issue. For one, it isn't STRICTLY required. Just means the car will complain at you about no/incorrect readings but it will still be perfectly drivable. Secondly, training isn't that difficult.

Personally the fastest/easiest way I've found is while in accessory mode or the car is running, tap the hazard flasher button 5 times and it should initiate the process with clear messages stating what it wants in readable English in the cluster. Individual tires can be trained with a cheap TPMS training tool (Usually you hold these up to the valve stem and press the button for it to trigger) or you can add/remove air from a tire to get it to read (I've often done the deflation option. Remove enough and add back after it is trained). Once a tire is 'trained', the horn honks to let you know and the dash will update to let you know the next tire that needs done. I can't remember off the top of my head which order it goes in.

Edited by cr08